Thread: Shoup Bay

Default Shoup Bay

Hey I will be landlocked in Valdez. I was wondering if the Shoup Bay trail would get you to a place to be able to fish the bay or not. In case the Silvers have not come in to Allison point I would like to try the bay.

Default Closer

They are getting closer. The Shoup Trail is pretty rugged. Doable but a hike. The city dock might be your best bet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    They are getting closer. The Shoup Trail is pretty rugged. Doable but a hike. The city dock might be your best bet.
    We are ok with a tough hike. I was wondering if Shoup bay is accessible to fish from shore or is it all cliffs.

Default yes -

if you get out there it is accessible - there is a sandbar at the entrance where the Kayakers camp.

How much of a hike is it? Is it much better than the docks?

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    How much of a hike is it? Is it much better than the docks?
    http://www.valdezalaska.org/maps/shoupBayB.html#text

Here is the website for the trails this is only the 2nd half of the trail. You will see in the left hand bar other trails including Trail B for Shoup bay. I am not sure if i s better than the docks, but I am sure it is more scenic. I enjoy the outdoors too much t sit at a dock. Just my take.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinit View Post
    http://www.valdezalaska.org/maps/shoupBayB.html#text

Here is the website for the trails this is only the 2nd half of the trail. You will see in the left hand bar other trails including Trail B for Shoup bay. I am not sure if i s better than the docks, but I am sure it is more scenic. I enjoy the outdoors too much t sit at a dock. Just my take.
    Nice find. thanks.

Its always nice to combine some hiking and some fishing. Thats what my gf told me at least.

After a 6 mile hike, its probably less crowded that most shore fishing.

Do the fish go up that UNO creek shown on that map?

Sounds like a fun trip. I would think about doing that when I'm there, but I'm going to be with my whole family and that'd be a long way for a 4 year old to go (or for his parents to carry him). Let us know how it goes, how fishing was, and how fishable it is. Good luck!

We plan on getting over to Valdez Thursday or Friday next week. We start out Monday night and will be going to head southbound first to Homer and hitting spots along the way, Seward, Kenai/Russian, Ninilchik, Deep, Anchor and the spit and then head back up and around to Valdez, hopefully hitting the Little Su and/or Willow on our way. That is unless we hear from you guys that Valdez is hoppin'. So keep in touch!