Thread: Elk on Kodiak proper

Default Elk on Kodiak proper

I have been doing some research on the DE715/717 permits I found a ADF&G data spread for the kodiak archipelago that gives a pretty good harvest detail of sex ,time & location on all the other Islands but on the Island of kodiak they just gave a sex and number taken from 2002/2007 What I am trying to find out is where are the largest share of these 250 elk taken? If any body has done these hunts and has any pointers it would be greatly appreciated

From what I understand there are very few elk on Kodiak proper and they are on the north east corner closest to Rasberry Island. Supposedly a few swim across every now and then and that is where they come from but there are not enough on Kodiak to maintain their numbers with bear predation and the few that hunters spot and harvest.

yep, raspberry and afognak are the majority of the elk by far....i've never seen on on the main island and i spent six years on the north end near raspberry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There has been about 50 elk + being taken from these hunts DE715 & 717 and the registration these are not raspberry or afognak so there has to be elk there. When I have bear and deer hunted on Kodiak I have not seen any elk either But I wasn't hunting the north end Yet I seen a goat cross Karluk river down by the lagoon by the adf&g cabin. So the numbers by adf&g suggest there is a growing population on the Island of Kodiak of elk and someone must know where they frequent do to the number of harvested animals the past five years

??? any thing

I have yet to see any Elk on the Island from the air, but then again I have yet to see any of the 300-400 Caribou that are here!! Good Luck

This Elk hunt is sounding more blacktailish all the time maybe I.ll lapse into registration bear.

Default Kodiak elk

Elk on Kodiak proper has been a badly kept secret for years. I heard rumors of them on the Kupreanof Penninsula in the 80's but ADF&G denied it. They probably swam from Raspberry or Afognak to Whale Is, then across Whale Passage, the same way most deer make the trip. Makes for the shortest swims. First there were no elk hunts for Kodiak, then they had (Rest of Unit 8) registration hunts. Now it sounds like they have directed hunts. My understanding is ADF&G doesn't want them to "take", the same way they didn't want them to spread in Southeastern. They misjudged I think. Even tho I had heard the rumors since I lived on Kodiak in the 80's, I hadn't really heard of any being shot until 10 years ago or so. There may have been some that were kept hush hush to prevent competition in a local area. While I don't live there anymore, I still have good connections over on Kodiak. From what I've heard, there is a herd in the Saltery Cove area now and a couple good bulls were taken there a few years ago. I'd think their survival would be limited by winter range, and severity of the winters. There isn't much timber to keep snow off the ground on Kodiak as there is on Afognak, so a deep snow winter would probably be hard on them like it is the deer. I spent two winters on Afognak in a wall tent in the Izuit Bay area back in the 80's and I found quite a few areas where the elk had penned up in the deep snow and died from the bad winters in the 70's. There would be 5 to 15 or 20 sets of bones in a small area, some still laid out like they laid down and died. Just a matter of time before another set of winters like that hit again.