Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Rich test

Default Ft. Rich test

Who is going out Sat to shoot there test portion? I will be there at 8am..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'll be there at 10:00 AM.

Default Ft. Rich test

I'm set for 2:00 p.m.

Thumbs up

Wanna be a hero?

Request to step off the path to take your shot as you feel it is a road surface!

Last time I qualified we had 6 failures out of 30. Amazing.

Have fun, fellas!

Taylor

-[]------->

Default do you have to take the test to hunt on rich?

im new to alaska and deployed right now but was wanting to do some bow hunting on rich on leave end of oct do i have to take the test i was under the impression that i just have to get a harvest tag

Cool

Sorry, lee27 but you won't be hunting Ft. Rich this year... Get your certification ASAP and jump in the lottery. It's not a harvest tag situation on Ft. Rich.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Marc

Is the fort Rich test set up similar to the Bowhunting Cert test (IBEP), but with broadheads?

thanks,

Can't answer that, bud, I shot for IBEP in Iowa.

Here, for the Ft. Rich hunt in '05, we had 7 lifesize moose broadhead targets with penciled-in vitals. You really had no idea where the pencil marks were, so you just held for heart-lung vitals and hoped for the best.

Once you got your fifth kill shot you were done. If you missed two, you were done, but in a different way.

I recall one shot that was kneeling and leaning around a tree, shooting partially obscured vitals! Makes for interesting result, and we lost 6 tag winners due to incompetence.

Hope that helped.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Thanks Marc!

I have a couple friends taking it for the first time tomorrow -hopefully i will get to take it someday.

how did everyone do?

Default ??

I have a late season permit and had to enter my ibep number to even apply, what test are you guys talking about?

I shot the test today. It was kinda fun - too bad it wasn't a little longer. I have a hard time imagining any serious archer who takes the time to practice and tune his broadheads not passing this test. I had a long discussion afterwards with another hunter. I think Ft Rich and Elmendorf have you take the test just because they can. The IBEP should give some indication of your proficiency but not always. I was practicing the other day and had an "uncooperative" arrow. I finally got a quiver-full to fly right. Anything that makes you practice more and increases your confidence in your ability and your equipment can't be all bad. It was a small price to pay for the opportunity to participate in one of the most convenient moose hunts in Alaska.

The test was very easy. Only 1 maybe two targets will test most archers.
    I passed. the only excitement was a nice size black bear running around the course and coming out by the sign in table.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

gonehuntin 202,

You should have gotten notification from from David Battle if you drew a tag for Ft Rich or EAFB. If your tag is for a hunt on base yu had better call him as next weekend is the final proficiency test. He can be reached at 384-3909 or david.battle@us.army.mil . Good luck

Default Ft. Rich test

Yes, the test was rather easy but I understand the wisdom of having the additional screening. The test will not be a challenge for any serious archer who has decent equipment and has put in a little practice time.

I have not had the opportunity to shoot at the life-size 3D targets, except at the IBEP certification. They are pretty cool.

The only hardship for me was having to drive up to Anchorage from Soldotna, but I'm willing to pay that price for a chance at hunting on the base.

Well, back to processing moose meat. My wife was successful on opening day in DM408.

Thanks Alot I just emailed him

That one shot where you can't be on your knees was fun. Almost was doing the splits since I'm so tall and could not shoot standing straight up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I was there on Saturday for the 8am shoot. The target zone seemed very generous. I was told that the life sized moose targets cost $1,700 a piece (that was with the government discount), so figure almost 8 grand in targets. So for all of those that complain about the $125 conservation fee, I guess they put it to use for the archers.

There was at least one in the 8am group that did not pass. Not sure what the issue was, I agree that if you have properly sighted in your bow and broadheads it should be an easy shoot. Must admit that I was still a little nervous going into it as I have a relative new (new to me anyway) bow, sights, rest, etc. But I spent the time tuning it at the house, fortunately I live in place where I can shoot in my front yard so I spent the time practicing and knowing where my broadheads where hitting as opposed to my field points. Never could get the two groups together.

The black bear was a nice little reminder about why we live in Alaska. It was funny to watch about a dozen archers with broadheads loaded on their bows have to stand around and watch a black bear just meander around in front of them.

Best of luck to those that passed and hopefully I won't run into you on a stalk out on Ft Rich! No offense I just don't want to call in other hunters like last year when I tried to hunt the Eklutna registration hunt!

Steve

Default Proficiency Test

I don't think that the base makes you take the test just because they can. It sounds to me like they have had trouble in the past with hunters using archery equipment that they are not "Proficient" with. By this I mean taking the IBEP with a compound and then going out on base with a recurve or long bow. Just because you have taken the IBEP test and passed doesn't mean that you are able to shoot with any type of bow. The Fort Rich test allows them to document what type of equipment that you can use "Profinctly" and then make sure that is what you are using in the field.

I took the test this past Saturday and I though that it was extremely easy! I don't think that the test is designed to weed out bad shooters, to me it is more of an equipment check/log. Which is fine with me, I don't want to see any moose out there on base with arrows hanging out of them!
    DJ

Unfortunately there WILL be moose with arrows hanging out of them and arrows not recovered because of a miss...

That will always happen no matter how proficient we are as archers.

Taylor

-[]------->

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast