Thread: Gun boot mounting system

Default Gun boot mounting system

Last year my gun boot mounting system broke under some knarly conditions. The culprit was the nose of my gun boot is free floating. Anyone have any ideas how you can secure the nose of a gun boot to the foot rest to provide it with some stability?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have broke every one made nowdays i strap it on packed all safe in a good hard case and carry it accross my chest when riding from camp to hunting area...

ones i will never use unless parked again are the handle bar or racks gun racks sold... to much damage happend the once i did
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

does your boot have a little loop on the end like mine? if so hook a bungee to it and run it thru your floor board.

Default single point of mount Kolpin case

Mine has only gone 80 miles of rough trails, but seems pretty solid so far. There are pictures of mine mounted on my grizzly on this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=61236

I haven't ran it into any big obstacles directly yet, but it has has some adversity and lots of shaking, and did great so far.

Broke a stock on my 30-06 while negotiating some tight and tall alders. (a nearby hunter had shot his moose and generously let me use his .300 for a week otherwise I would have been out of commission)

After that I used a hardcase strapped to the rack with bungees. Still quick access and could roll the wheeler and still have my gun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and remember to clean out those gun boots... they all look pretty and white inside... but the crap caught up i the is amazing!!

i stick my shop vac in it and suck it out every season... but only my extra gun... 12ga/22/etc get strapped down in that.. my important one gets hard case. stapped or carried..few yars ago... one shot at a Bou my buddy had hit ans was running.. second shot went click......

200 buck later...

Koplin gun boot fuzz in my bolt
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Gun Boot warning! NOT a fan.

To each his own with gun boots...I bought a gun boot years ago and I was crossing a stream...My front right tire dropped in a hole and the ATV rolled front side first and then to the right. The incident was totally unexpected and fast (Even though I wasn't going fast at all). My leg and foot was caught and the ATV weight and hydrolics of the stream was keeping me and my head under the water.

I struggled and ended up freeing myself. But, I saw GOD that day! Since then I threw the boot away and have been riding with my guns on the top rack or handle bars.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Unhappy Boots Bad!!!

Got to spend one day of hunting retracing both sides of a trail on foot when one of the Koplin plastic mounts that wraps around the boot broke and a friend showed up at camp with no gun and didn't realize it was gone, we found the gun but not before he had to confess to his wife how much Schmidt & Bender scope cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Broke a stock on my 30-06 while negotiating some tight and tall alders. (a nearby hunter had shot his moose and generously let me use his .300 for a week otherwise I would have been out of commission)

After that I used a hardcase strapped to the rack with bungees. Still quick access and could roll the wheeler and still have my gun.
    Exactly. Having a rifle mounted to the side of you wheeler like that is just asking for it to get broken. We have always just strapped a hard case across the rack. Granted not as fast as having one on the side, but rolling wheelers sometimes is just part of the game. Besides rolling my wheeler over is a FAR better possibility than a 4' browtine/50" moose standing right off the trail where I am riding my wheeler. I'd rather miss that moose than have to deal with a broken gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Exactly. Having a rifle mounted to the side of you wheeler like that is just asking for it to get broken. We have always just strapped a hard case across the rack. Granted not as fast as having one on the side, but rolling wheelers sometimes is just part of the game. Besides rolling my wheeler over is a FAR better possibility than a 4' browtine/50" moose standing right off the trail where I am riding my wheeler. I'd rather miss that moose than have to deal with a broken gun.

Be careful strapping it across the racks, I thought I was ok, as I only had about 4 inches of exposed case, but this was the end of my 07 hunting season. Or atleast of my shooting during said season.

snapped my case, and there was just enough stock showing to get caught between the ground, and the rack and break it. But I also wrecked pretty hard, flipped the ATV, and broke the rear axle, resulting in my left rear wheel accelerating hard downhill ahead of the ATV. Never good.

WOW....bummer deal there for sure. Did you use ratchet straps for bungee cords? Also what kind of case did you use. I have a feeling that the extent you wrecked your wheeler no matter how you had it tied down bad things were gonna happen. Sorry to hear about the bad fortune.

That is a bummer.. Glad it happened at the end of your hunt.

I opted for bungees since there would some give if some tree came out of nowhere and raked my wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    That is a bummer.. Glad it happened at the end of your hunt.

I opted for bungees since there would some give if some tree came out of nowhere and raked my wheeler

No, that was the end of "my" hunt. It was opening day. We had to go down a bank, and make a hard right turn, my trailer shoved the back end of the quad, as I had a trailer almost equal in weight to my quad, and caused me to go up and over and roll down the bank.

Resulted in a rather fun recovery though. Got a moose, brownie, and a bou out of it though. No one got hurt, and I've got a hell of a story to tell.

when i strap mine on... butt to wards me.on left side of rack. with barrel over hanging front.. laid flat.. usually have my pack and stuff on with it... i take HUGE dips, jumps and mud.. never been an issue yet..

cross the rack seems to catch EVERY thing.

i have a handle bar. mounted "gun rack" that i set my gun in while sittng... but filled the barrel full of crap last fall going through some brush.. had it get knocked out.. etc... and your buddy really looks funny at you while your stair at a 70 + inch moose and he walks away as your sucking stuff outa your barrel cause your kit is back at camp...

meet on face book here

Family Man that is almost the exact set up I have, but I have my gun mounted just inside the fender for some protection. I have the same Kolplin mounting bracket as well. I'd HIGHLY recomend another method. Looking down after a 13 mile ride in and seeing your gun is missing is a SICK feeling that I only want to experience once. I found my gun, but I can not explain the panic that totured me the entire ride back.