Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back From My Brooks Range Sheep Hunt!

Default Back From My Brooks Range Sheep Hunt!

We (my Dad and two of his friends), Left Anchorage on the 7th and drove to Fairbanks, then caught a flight to Bettles then Flew out to our spot. I almost didnt think we were going to get there on time cause of all the smoke.

We saw quite a few sheep on the 2 days before opening day. We hiked back 12 miles from the drop off spot to a drainage that had nothing but rams, but I shot the only legal one we saw.

We had snow, rain, wind and sun. Saw a nice moose back in their also as well as found 6 sheep horns. One set was a pretty recent kill, probably springtime.

My ram was 9 years old, 32.25 longest horn and 12 and eighth bases. It took us about half an hour from 100 yards with binoculars and spotting scope to be sure he was full curl. I got him with one shot at 188 yards with the ol' betsy my 300 win mag shooting 150 grain hornady GMX bullets that I handloaded.

I'm impressed with my dad and his freinds! they are in their early 60's and can Still hike like crazy. One of my favorite moments was while we were in camp, a couple of guys who were all geared up all ultra light and in shape pull up to us while one of the guys with us was lighting a smoke, the other guy sifting through his meds and adjusting his knee brace and looking at our cushy camp we had hiked back there. Those two guys were pretty impressed I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! 12 miles is a good hike at any age and it's nice to see guys doing it without the latest and greatest gear....just like the old timers! Good caliber choice and rolling your own always brings more satisfaction.

Right on Matt, way to go! That's great that you were able to go with your Dad. Something to cherish huh!?

Congrats on a well earned trophy! Nice to hear the old guys are still hitting it hard and hangin with the younguns.

Way to go MATT!!!!!! Great job and sounds like a great hunt with family!

I had alot of fun out their with those guys. They had endless stories to tell. It has been a couple years since I hunted with my Dad, so it was nice to be out there with him again.

I forgot to mention that he did all the dirty work for me! He did all the dressing and even fleshed my cape for me the next day!

Sounds like he is wanting to do a caribou hunt next year too.

Well done.....Old codgers RULE. Nice Sheep.

Thumbs up

That sounds like a great sheep hunt Matt! Looks like your sheep stopped rolling pretty close to the edge there?

Good on the old man for still doing it and from what I've read here he did good with you also. I can walk in and gut and shoot but the carrying out the load is my failer now unless it was lots of trips.
    As a kid me and my friends were always looking for an old man to hang around and my Gramps was damm good but kinda far away. Now days there are are a bunch of old men looking for a kid but most kids don't care anymore. Nice sheep

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That sounds like a great sheep hunt Matt! Looks like your sheep stopped rolling pretty close to the edge there?

I got Lucky when the sheep went down, he just did a couple of rolls then his horn snagged into the dirt and held him in place. We actually flipped him down about 30 yards into that little depression to work on him. I held onto him while my dad dressed him. That was a steep slope!

Thanks for all the Kudos Guys!

Nicely done on a great looking ram! Sounds like you had some fun hunting companions.

Have you had him sealed yet...curious as to where and if it was a no brainer for it being legal when the bios looked at it...

AZinAK

Congrats on the hunt. Looks like a great time. Got to take my dad for both of our first times goat hunting ever. Fun to get the "old men" in the mountains. Nice sheep BTW.

Default Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    It has been a couple years since I hunted with my Dad, so it was nice to be out there with him again.

I forgot to mention that he did all the dirty work for me! He did all the dressing and even fleshed my cape for me the next day!
    Congratulations on a great hunt; you all worked really hard on that and did wonderfully.

Never hunted with my dad but greatly enjoy hunting with my kids. We roll the opposite direction around here, compared to your way: For the last 3 years, my 4 year old boy has heard just one reason why he should finish all of his dinner. He now knows it well and will say it when asked:

Parent: Why is it that you should finish eating all the food on your plate?
    Him: So I can grow up big and strong and flip Daddy's moose into the back of the truck!
    Me: That's my boy!

Default Sheep

Very nice! Sounds like a great trip that will leave you with some great memories. Well done.

Awesome trip! Sadly my old man and long time hunting partner has retired down to Alabama now... I keep bugging him about setting up a deer or hog hunt down there for us but so far it hasn't come together. Definately one of those things that needs to make it to the front of the priority list!!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default great job

maybe I need to find a young kid to adopt...my only hunter boy (out of three) does his hiking and hunting for the USMC, (he loves it and no bag limit, but can't ever seem to get leave during any season)...Great story and great Ram...Congrats

Nice sheep. In the end its all worth the backstraps.

Thumbs up way to go

I am happy for you, your Dad and friends. My Dad left for the "happy hunting grounds" this year and I will miss our times together in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Have you had him sealed yet...curious as to where and if it was a no brainer for it being legal when the bios looked at it...

AZinAK

Yep, got him sealed in anchorage the first day I got back. He is just over full curl. And I mean JUST, but he is also 9 years old according to the Bio that sealed him. And yeah its a no brainer when you hold the horns just right.

We spent over a half an hour looking at him at 108 yards with the spotting scope and binoculars to determine his curl. I didnt count rings or anything like that.

This is definitley one of those sheep you need to see from lots of different angles to determine curl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast