Thread: Fail Safe

Default Fail Safe

Just aquired a box and a half of 180 grain Winchester fail safe for the .06. Anybody shooting these? I'm sure they don't make them anymore, but any info would be great no matter what caliber your shooting.

Sometimes tough for accuracy, almost always tough on fouling a barrel, always tough on game. Akin in performance to the Barnes X.

Your right, they don't make them anymore.

I managed to get a few boxes several years ago for my .308.

As posted- the black coating makes them hard to clean up after. My rifle doesn't shoot 180s that well in any flavor but I don't remember accuracy being all that bad.

I found them too hard for .308 velocities and they didn't expand well in deer so I switched to 165gr. Interbonds. Moose or bears might be a different result.

I used them in my 270WSM and 338WM and liked them. They were accurate in my guns. I wish they were still made.

Use them in 300wm and 338wm.
    Worked very well on moose and the rifles shot them extremely well.
    Wish they were still made.

My 270 WSM LOVED the factory load but alas, I can't find any more nor can I find components to reload. I did however see a few boxes of 140 grain 7mm at Boondocks yesterday.

Default Failsafe

Great bullet for big critters. I've used it in the 30WSM. Moose, griz, caribou, black bear...

I won't use them on small thin skinned game like deer. I shot a large whitetail with one 15 years ago with one, small .308 hole on one side, .308 hole on the other side, 90 yards away. Deer died, but like I said no expansion.

Ron

My brother and I both bought into them in the late '90s. His rifle (tang-safety Ruger 77) put three 230gr Failsafes into a pretty little group just over 1" at 100yds. He took a moose at 80 yds, frontal shot that entered just below the spine and was recovered just under the skin about 8" ahead of the tail and about 2" deep. The bullet looked good enough to put on a TV commercial as testimony to it's perfect expansion.

My rifle put the exact same ammo out of the same box into an ugly 6" pattern at the same distance, and was a miserable SOB to clean before I could shoot other ammo accurately again.

I guess the morale is: If it shoots accurately from your gun, you'll have no problems with performance.