Thread: Dinghy motor???

Default Dinghy motor???

I have been eyeballing the little 2hp Honda four-stroke with the built in gas tank in the caling. It weights around 20lbs, pivots instead of a reverse gear. Now, I am wondering if I should look at bigger one or does that one go "good enough". Also, how does everyone carry there dinghy motor on there vessel? Any cleaver mounting tricks? I saw a boat with a kicker 9 or 10, then the main, then the little dinghy motor, all side by side on the transom of the big boat, looked like a family of motors, pretty cool!

My dinghy goes on my roof rack and can hold four fat guys no problem, the motor will be placed somewhere off the dinghy when no in use. Lighter the better obviously. Thoughts on the subject???

I borrowed a honda 2 hp for my 9 ft dingy and with three guys in the boat it was pretty slow going. Two wasn't bad but still pretty slow, especially if you're running against a current. If I buy one I would get a 4 hp.

Talking

I used the 2hp Honda and did not like it for 2 reasons. Not enough power and when you start it your in gear and going, made for some real excitement. I now have the 3.5 Merc and love it. It has good power and has neutral for starting. I carry my dingy on the roof rack and keep the motor mounted to the dingy. Works good even in ruff water.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I use a suzuki 2.5 on my 9' dinghy. It is a little too slow, but it is also really light weight and was cheap. I guess if I was to do it over I would have gotten a 4 or 5 horse. I don't have a real good way of carrying it anymore, I used to carry it on my kicker bracket, but I have a kicker now that goes there.

I have a yamaha F4. It weighs under 50 pounds. At the time, it was the biggest I could get with the integral fuel tank. I can plane my 9'+ inflatable with me and a kid or two. A friend has a 6 horse tohatsu with the integral tank and I really like that motor. Much more power and a heck of a lot smoother. I would pick one of those up for what you want to do. I have a bracket mounted onto the aft of the boat that I hang it off of when not in use. If we ever get around to building a crane to lift stuff onto the roof, I will just keep it on the raft. Could be a winter project.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think my dingy is 9.5'. I don't take it off the top very often (2-3 times in the last 4 years). I have a 5 HP Honda for it, and I wish I would have opted for the 2 HP. It's a little cumbersome to put on the transom of the dingy. I do it but..... On the plus side, it has plenty of power. I know you probably wouldn't be able to get it mounted in an emergency situation very easy (high seas). At that point the dingy would be a life raft only (with oars). The 5 HP sits on a Garelick Stationary Outboard Bracket which is mounted on the stern. It's a shame I have less than an hour on it.

Default Check out Tohatsu

Justy to cover all the bases ... I have a 3.5 tohatsu that gets my 9.8 ft Seaeagle backandforth to shore just fine. It is small and the gas tank seals up so you cn stoe it in a sack in the back of the boat. Light enough so that ist is no problem putting it on our inflatable ....

Bought it at Marita Sea & Ski ....

I have the Honda 2hp motor and love it on a Gary King 270 inflatable. It will not plane the boat, but it moves it right along and runs a long time on one tank of fuel. I never even take extra fuel anymore, i just refill it between trips. The light weight is nice for getting it on and off the dingy in the water. The Honda 2hp is nice too since it is aire cooled, so no need to flush it after salt water use.

Be aware that if you have a kicker on your boat, you need registration on your dingy now. I had a trooper stop me out by Kinght Island this summer and give me a warning -- even though the kicker was not physically on the dingy.

I have mine on a bracket I had welded on the transom where it rides nicely and is pretty easy to get on and off the dingy.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I use my 8 horse e-rude, which is also my kicker. I need ot get a prop with less pitch as it's over-propped for my boat, and will only plane the dinghy if I'm the only one on it, or with a couple of the kids.

Most anchorages we're close enough to shore that I don't even bother with the motor. By the time I get the motor moved over I would have rowed into shore. But for those times where you have to anchor a bit further from shore, and you're fighting a head wind, the kicker is the way to go.

I bought a used Yamaha F4 for my West Marine RU-260 this year. Boat is 8' 6". This motor will get us on step with 2 adults and a bear. Depending on your use, I would think you would want more HP. I wanted to be able to use this for dipnetting too, so running upcurrent was important. Great combination for us. I just laid it on its side against the transom until it went on the dinghy. Not the most efficient storage, but it worked. I now have a homemade stand for it at home, but will probably try to devise something I can mount in the boat to hold the motor secure while running. I don't have the motor with me at all times, only when bear hunting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I bought a used Yamaha F4 for my West Marine RU-260 this year.
    Is the next step a heater? No sense roughin' it, Chris!

Pete

Actually, after your post on the Wallas thread, I was just looking at the espar setups and mulling it seriously! May have to investigate an off-season install!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Actually, after your post on the Wallas thread, I was just looking at the espar setups and mulling it seriously! May have to investigate an off-season install!
    You will not regret it! No more condensation.

You guys need inboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    You guys need inboards.
    How does your heater work at night?

Talking

I just make sure I am in a cove near Hawaii at night.

Default I have same as Jrodgers.....

G. King (AK Series inflatibles) 270 with the honda 2 hp and it is great. One guy can get that inflatible on or off the roof rack. The motor needed to be the long shaft, it weighs 27 pounds. Short shaft weighs 24 lbs. Easy to move around. Uses about a teaspoon of gas a day! We only put 2 people at a time in this dingy, they all over-rate the person capacity!

Great for a small dingy with 2 people, no way would I recommend this motor for 4 fat guys! Other advice here is great. We take our motor off (dingy sits at the mooring bouy most of the time not in use....), and we clamp the motor on one of the round stern rails. When we are in port or somewhere and want it to be secure, we just put a gaff across the dashboards, there's a space between on our Hewes, and hang the motor there. Also can hang in on the back lip of the roof.

Not sure how you get a 4-person raft with a 4-6 hp outboard up on the roof, guess 4 fat guys could be strong too! Anyway, ours is a dingy, if it has to become a life raft, we'll just row, awkward to get on roof with motor on!
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 08-22-2009 at 23:15. Reason: left number off