Thread: ds140 sheep hunt

Smile ds140 sheep hunt

Hey just looking for some info and anyone wanting to go along with me on the hunt. I drew the late season archery only and don't have any sheep hunting friends. I'll cover food expenses, tent, camp supplies ect... Josh

Smile Friends?

Hard to find that kind of friend/packer...

Default got 1 tag

My uncle drew the same permit. We are going back in Oct 5-10. A little nervous about the weather.

I know for sure that the mountains are going kick my hiney big time. We did crow pass a couple weeks ago with 60 pound packs (in 2 days) and my blisters healed just in time to get some more last night on Flattop. We stayed on the main trail - and it was hard on my feet - got to toughen them up in the next month....I would think that you almost need mountain climbing gear to get into some of the steep stuff.

Have you talked with any Bio's about the area? Have you mapped the 5 year kills? Mostly - i am wondering what the sheep are going to do with the season changing and either snow or emminent snow - - how far down will they move - and which direction?

What are you taking for equipment? Crampons almost seem in order during October.

Default DS140 Archery

I drew this last year and attempted three hunts and got weathered on three seperate times. I ruck marched up into the snow storm twice and rainy weather on the other. I tried three seperate routes from Bird Creek side, Snow Creek side, and Eklutna side.

If you truly want to do this hunt right find a real friend with a plane to drop you on top and hunt down. Even when I got up to the top the sheep were like the dodo bird-extinct from sight.

There is a horseback transporter that would be ideal as well in the area.

I was trying to do it cheap and after all I knew I could but by the time I walked up food was low, feet were tired and morale was so-so. If sheep would have been in the area I could have had a great time but it was kinda trying for all that work and find no sheep at the location you summit.

Take a sat phone!

Send me your planned route by pm and I will give you any tips I know specifically about the area. Also when are you attempting to go?

Lee

i pm'd you guys

I drew this tag in '94. Went in solo. Saw fleeting glimpses of rams.
    I was not ready to be snowed on for 4 straight days

Two things:

Bring a roomy, sturdy tent, and bring really good boots (with plenty of socks).

The rams are there. Eat the extra pack weight and bring the right gear, or get up there before the snow flies and cache some stuff like food, stove/fuel, extra socks/fleece layers/case-o-handwarmers(for stuffing in frozen boots)

I've got the eklutna brown bear archery permit and if i havent got a bear by then we might team up, head a lot of sheep hunters see bears.