Thread: Over $60 to have holding tank pumped at Whittier

Default Over $60 to have holding tank pumped at Whittier

I'd used the free pumpout station next to the Harbor Master's office as recently as last year. I called just now to see what their hours are tomorrow so I could pump my holding tank before heading out for the weekend. Harbor Master's office tells me the old pump is no longer being used, that there's only a mobile pump station now, and that it costs sixty something dollars to use. For those of us with holding tanks and no macerator, this is no good. And for those who do have macerators and can pump overboard (when at least 3 miles from land), what an incentive for dumping crap in the water instead of having it disposed of in a better way.

$60!!!

Sounds like a chitty deal to me!

There needs to be a sign when you exit the tunnel,

"Welcome to Whittier, now give us all your money"

Swim steps are not just for swimming.

Default Simple solution

I've heard of several people who bought boats with heads, only to later convert them to storage closets and use a "luggable-lu" or similar because of the problems that come with a marine head and holding tank.
    We use the "lu" option and put trash bags with some kitty litter in it and then just tie them up and throw it away at the end of the trip.
    This has actually worked better than I thought it would and is super simple.

Ed

Women get to use the toilet, men get to use the green bucket, swim step, anchor pulpit, or tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Women get to use the toilet, men get to use the green bucket, swim step, anchor pulpit, or tree.
    Yep. Take most women to a boat show (if you can get them to go) and one of the first things they'll note about a boat is that it has a head.

I bought a hand pump and some hose. At the end of a trip I just pump the waste into a black 15 gal black fuel container then dispose of it at an rv waste station. Yep, it is a pain in the uuuhhh, neck but it works, is relatively inexpensive and you can pump out anywhere.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    For those of us with holding tanks and no macerator, this is no good. And for those who do have macerators and can pump overboard (when at least 3 miles from land), what an incentive for dumping crap in the water instead of having it disposed of in a better way.
    Are you sure you need a macerator even when 3 miles out?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Are you sure you need a macerator even when 3 miles out?
    99% sure. I believe that the "pieces" have to be less than some specific size and that's what the macerator does.

99% sure. I believe that the "pieces" have to be less than some specific size and that's what the macerator does.
    I am restoring a 1986 Sea Ray. Boy has this project educated me. It is 3 miles and you are correct that the macerator (aka poop chopper) chops it into little bits. In the process of replacing mine.

Some places like the Great Lakes, they make you put a lock on the valve so you can not pump overboard.

Question is: Where in PWS would you be more than 3 miles from shore in order to dump? I believe the 3 mile requirement is a federal one.

Now featuring a sealed design, these pumps include run dry protection with a self-priming flexible impeller and stainless-steel wear plate. Self-priming to 5' when wet and grinds waste to 1/8" or smaller. Pumps 12gpm. The inlet port has a 1 1/2" hose barb combined with 1 1/2" male thread to screw directly onto a tank flange. Use 1"–1 1/2" hose adapter (Model 3274123) for 1 1/2" sanitation hose.
    • Type: Macerating
    • gpm: 12
    • Macerates: Yes
    • Self-Prime: 5'
    • Material: Nylon body, nitrile impeller, stainless steel wear plate
    • Port Sizes: Inlet: 1 1/2" barb and 1 1/2" NPT male; outlet: 1" hose barb
    • Dimensions: 3 3/8"H x 4 5/8"W x 11"L
    • Warranty: One year

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I think you'd have to go out beyond Perry Island. Definately ok if you're between Lone Island and Naked Island. I know there are people (I think mainly livaboards) in the Seward Harbor (and assuming also in the Whittier Harbor) who routinely dump their crap overboard while they're docked. I don't see how they can justify that. One reason, besides all of the oil, that I'd never even think of fishing inside a boat harbor.

I think you'd have to go out beyond Perry Island. Definately ok if you're between Lone Island and Naked Island. I know there are people (I think mainly livaboards) in the Seward Harbor (and assuming also in the Whittier Harbor) who routinely dump their crap overboard while they're docked. I don't see how they can justify that. One reason, besides all of the oil, that I'd never even think of fishing inside a boat harbor.
    I would hope not and if they are, the harbor master should be all over them.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Crap in the water

I know for sure there is at least one >40ft boat in Seward that doesn't even have a holding tank..............flush........swirl and away it goes. No pumping needed.

Coleman portapotty. Self contained. Stores under the bench seat. If the ladies have to use it, pull it out, hand them a poncho to put on and away they go. (pun intended LOL). The guys, the world is your restroom.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's