Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake George Goat access?

Default Lake George Goat access?

Ok, i thought i had all this figured out. I was going to get flown in on a buddies Cessna206 on the strip between Lake George and the Knik glacier. After he has made several passes over that strip, he says it would be a really dicey landing. He seems to think the strip isn't long enough to land his 206. I am going with his judgement, as he has about 5000 hours flying in Alaska. So, my question would be what other access is there to Lake George for Goat. A forum member may "possibly" get me up to the face of Knik Glacier on his boat, but I'd like to get on the other side of the glacier. I see that the south side of the Knik that extends about 3-4 miles to the West of the Knik glacier is also open to hunting goats, but looking at a Topo map that seems almost impossible to climb... Can somebody tell me where there may be other strips back in there that can land a cub (although i doubt a cub can be found this late in the game (moose, sheep, goat season)? Or is there another access back into that area? I suppose I can bushwhack 10-15 miles up through Hunter Valley, but that would be more torturous than i can imagine... I know its late in the game, but with my buddy and his 206 backing out, I need some alternatives. I'm not the type to "waste" a permit by not going, so one way or another, I'll find a way, but i didn't want to kill myself trying to get there...Thank you all in advance....
    Johnny

Hunter valley puts you one valley too far west for your hunt too. I used to hike in along big timber creek and hunt the northern edge of the hunt. It is a major undertaking and normally took a day and a half of hiking just to get started. Unfortunately my old route may no longer be an option. I've been looking into getting a boat ride too big timber and hiking in from there. I like the November hunt as the approach is easier without all the devils club and brush to deal with. There is a strip at the head of hunter creek but it's tiny, my dentist didn't feel he could land his cub safely there either.

Good luck I might be headed south for goats this year. I'd like to hear what you figure out.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

In November we just landed on the ice of Whiteout lake, we took in split firewood for the longish night. Got up & shot goats on the shore the next AM, taxied over to them, flew back to Birchwood. We took about 10 maybe 12 out of there before the permits came along.

i've been flown into the strip out on the dirt flat just east of lake george in a 206 before, plenty of room. theres a cub stip at the bottom of troublesome creek, one father up the valley in the bottom, one on the ridge top that sits in the middle of the valley, one on the south side of the river across from troublesome and one at the bottom of 14 creek as well. theres so much room back in there for a cub pilot who has a clue its not even funny. piles of goats, lots of brush and climbing, little water. lotta black bears too...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A PA-18 or 12 does not need the strips back there, we used to practice full stop, simulated engine-outs back there in PA-18 and also C-180. It seems more pilots got in trouble on floats back there.

Default When you going?

I was thinking of going for goat with bow. What is your timeline as I may get my buddy to drop me in via plane. Maybe could work a tagteam. PM me if you are interested.

Lee

Default goat

First of all, if a pilot with 5000 hours indicates that he is not comfortable landing in there with his plane, trust his judgement. After all it is his plane and the lives of both of you. There certainly are some possibilities for a cub to land in a good spot for you. I have landed in a few places up in there with no difficulty over a span of many years. When flying up that way a couple of weeks ago it appeared as if the glacier was melting a bit more/differently than usual and that may have an effect for boats. Good luck.

To be honest, I was thinking about skydiving in, and maybe packrafting out... that is definitely a consideration. I just need somebody to rig my gear up to a canopy, and out I go...If i go that route, i'll make sure I video my hunt for all of you. I have skydived out that way before, the only thing i have to watch for is those tricky winds that pick up over that valley....

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    I was thinking about skydiving in, and maybe packrafting out... that is definitely a consideration. I just need somebody to rig my gear up to a canopy, and out I go...
    Dude yer frickin NUTS. I went skydiving once, never again!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Back there on both sides there are lots of goats (know a fella that took a 12" billy out of there in the 80's!). Also lots of cub strips. I have hunted for goats by Whiteout Glacier, Colony Glacier, and 14 Mile Creek, and yes, the Lake George area is loaded with black bears. There are a lot of air taxi operations with cubs that can land you in there - best get on the phone and start calling. If I were going back there again I would start with Bill Wiederkehr 745-4002. Good luck - rough country!

[QUOTE=skydiver_99654;558340]To be honest, I was thinking about skydiving in, and maybe packrafting out... that is definitely a consideration.

There did seem to be alot more ice in the water and the glacier looks different than it has for many years, so I would look things out very carefully before attempting to raft. I may not be thinking of exactly where you would plan to raft, but good luck....

To be honest, I was thinking about skydiving in, and maybe packrafting out... that is definitely a consideration. I just need somebody to rig my gear up to a canopy, and out I go...If i go that route, i'll make sure I video my hunt for all of you. I have skydived out that way before, the only thing i have to watch for is those tricky winds that pick up over that valley....
    Possibly the best idea for a high country hunt ever! Bring a helmet cam!!!!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A few years ago I took a small boat up the river and hiked up Big Timber Creek. All I can say is ... Holy Cow! I wish I knew of some kind of trail up. I had to bushwack up and down both. It took me 18 hours on the way up. I ended up sleeping in the alders on the hill the first night when it got too dark to keep going. After the hunt, it took me 19 hours to hike back down. My pack was slightly heavier on the way out, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

While skydiving today, I had the pilot fly over the area of Lake George. He is fairly confident that he can land safely on the strip to the West of Lake George (East of Knik). He HAS landed there before for skydives that we've done back there. Didn't see any goats at all today, but if I go out with him, he can put me on that strip. The only alternative to hunt then would be the North side of Lake George. OR, I could take the canoe across Lake George to get as close to Troublesome Creek side as possible, OR, the other possibility we talked about is to skydive onto the Troublesome Creek airstrip. Gear drop my pack/rifle/raft. Once the hunt is complete, raft across Lake George to the West side, where he will pick me up on that airstrip....any thoughts? any suggestions? the only other thing to do is drop a thousand bucks for a Cub ride Thanks to all again,

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    There is a strip at the head of hunter creek but it's tiny, my dentist didn't feel he could land his cub safely there either.
    Don't think you can land there legally, either, might be the CSP regs. Anybody know for sure?

yea the only place you can legally land in CSP is the strip at the end of Eklutna lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink

If you are looking for a cheap way of going, where you can get dropped out by boat and packraft out, Big Timber is about the only game in town. It is good for goats, sheep, bears and on the last week of season even moose. For goats, go up and over Big Timber and the small drainage east of it. The goats will be at the bowls on both sides of the crest of the ridge. As far as cub landings, there are about a bazillion places where one can land on goats within stalking distance, but none where you can safely raft out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Skydive Hunting

While skydiving today, I had the pilot fly over the area of Lake George. He is fairly confident that he can land safely on the strip to the West of Lake George (East of Knik). He HAS landed there before for skydives that we've done back there. Didn't see any goats at all today, but if I go out with him, he can put me on that strip. The only alternative to hunt then would be the North side of Lake George. OR, I could take the canoe across Lake George to get as close to Troublesome Creek side as possible, OR, the other possibility we talked about is to skydive onto the Troublesome Creek airstrip. Gear drop my pack/rifle/raft. Once the hunt is complete, raft across Lake George to the West side, where he will pick me up on that airstrip....any thoughts? any suggestions? the only other thing to do is drop a thousand bucks for a Cub ride Thanks to all again,

Johnny
    Skydiving in for a sheephunt, now that sounds exciting, I'm sure you still have to wait the 24 hours before you pull the trigger right? be a good way to get into hard access areas, and you can then use the chute for a tent and game bag.....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Skydiving in for a sheephunt, now that sounds exciting, I'm sure you still have to wait the 24 hours before you pull the trigger right? be a good way to get into hard access areas, and you can then use the chute for a tent and game bag.....
    Skydiving in is a good idea...but using my 2500 dollar main canopy to put meat in is not in the plan :O ! I'm starting to put this plan together. If i get a hunting partner to go in with me, i'll land at the strip just North of Lake George and hunt the mountains to the West of Lake George. If I can't find a partner, I'll skydive in to Troublesome and have a gear drop including a raft. After the hunt, i'll raft across Lake George back to the airstrip on the Northern side of Lake George. Anybody else want to skydive in with me?

Make sure you pick a good day. There tends to be a lot of fog in that area during goat season and it can last for days at a time. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast