Thread: Quartz Creek Trail

Default Quartz Creek Trail

Has anyone ever hunted along this trail before leading into the white mts of the steese? A Friend and I were thinking of doing a white mt bou hunt on the quarts creek but the bio says it is a low sucess hunt with only about 700-900 animals. Any reccomendations?

I was up that way last weekend, and there was a ton of folks. Had to be at least 20 trucks parked along the pullouts and at the campground, each with an ATV (or three). It might be low probability, but there sure seems to be a bunch of folks trying.

There is a very low success rate for White Mtn. caribou, and that is a popular area for hunting, camping, and riding. It is likely to be pretty crowded on through moose season. If I was going to do it, I'd probably ride out as far as I could and then start hiking from there.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

We went out there this last Saturday, 8 trucks, 13+ atv's and 32 miles of riding around wasn't good odds to start with and then the rain hit and it went down hill even more from there. Lots of fog so you couldn't really see that far. Saw lots of freash moose tracks, some sheep, but not a bou to speak of. That is unless you count the four legs from a kill within the last few days or the bones that were about a week or so old. I think I'm just going to wait a few my days (29 Aug) before going back up. That way I can hit either side. 40 mile or the white mtn. At least it sounds good in the planing. I was hoping to hit the haul road and go just north of Atigun Pass but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Good luck if you go out there.

Was on this trail last week... no bou, two wolves, LOTS of rocks! Rough trail in many parts but little mud.

not a good plan. 40 mile is opening this monday, way better chance