Thread: Self Bailing Decks.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Self Bailing Decks.

I would like my next boat to have a self bailing deck not because I think that if I take a wave over it will save me most boats I have seen the scuppers are right about water level when the boat is not on plain. I figure if you take a big wave it will force your boat scuppers to be below water level and unless you can somehow get on step they will not help. I figure more than likely if I am in seas big enough to put water in the boat getting on step to drain the deck probably is not going to happen unless it is just one rogue wave. When I have been out in rough seas running fast enough to drain the deck is not possible at least this has been my experience.

My reason for wanting a self bailing deck is so all the fish blood seaweed and other junk does not end up in the bilge. I have been kicking around an idea that maybe I could retrofit a boat that did not have a self bailing deck with a trough that fed into a sump with a macerator pump so you could wash down the floor and it would not just run into the bilge. My current boat has box stringers and I wonder how well the blood and junk that gets washed off the deck at the sides of the hull actually ever gets to the bilge area to be cleaned or drained out. I am thinking sealing the deck and running a perimeter trough to drain to a sump with a macerator pump but have the sump designed so if it fills everything runs to the bilge so the bilge pumps will still be able to do their job. I am thinking the whole trough would be able to over flow to the bilge if they became full.

The reason I bring this up is I would like to buy a used Hewes Pacific Cruiser but they do not have self bailing decks I like the rest of the boat but I really want a deck than can be cleaned off. What do you think??

Just to add I have a huge shop and the fab skills to do this.

Mike

I think that hewes has a self bailing deck option now. I think I saw pics of the prototype over at the hewescraft owners forum over the winter. One of the problems, as I see it, with retrofitting an old boat with a selfbailing deck is raising the floor. Seems to me that would really affect the center of gravity. I like your idea of having a subfloor channel with a macerator pump. If you do it, please document the process. That would be neat to follow.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

The new Pacific explorer has the self bailing deck I talked to a guy @ Hewes yesterday at the factory he said they have built 3 boats so far with the self bailing deck. They are supposed to send me some pictures. I am just thinking if I can pick up a nice used boat and the deck is my only dislike maybe I could just fix that and save some $$$$.

Mike