Thread: July 2010 Guy trip to Tongass

Lightbulb July 2010 Guy trip to Tongass

I'm new to this site so let me first say "Hello". I've been doing some light research online and came across this wonderful resource that might help me in the early stages of planning a trip to Alaska.

One of my best friends is getting married next year and his idea of a bachelor party is traveling from Seattle, WA to somewhere in the Tongass National Forest, for about a week in the great outdoors. The rough idea is to take a ferry from probably Bellingham (WA) to a port city in Alaska where we could take a float plane to one of the lakes in the TNF. We are planning on staying in Forest Service Cabins, possible a night or two in one place and then moving to another, if that's an option. He had mentioned something about boating from one cabin to another, and to another, but I don't really know much of the area and where that would be possible.

There are 4 guys in total, all of which are fairly experienced campers/fishers/hikers, and we aren't looking for a fancy resort or anything like that. We are also not looking for the ultimate survival trip by any means, but rather a week or so alone to experience and enjoy the wilderness. Obviously this is something that takes a lot of research, planning, and preparation so I'm just curious if anyone has any advise they could offer (travel options, recommended cabin/campsites, recommended lakes/rivers, alternate resources)?

Has anyone here ever ventured off into something like this? If so, how did it turn out? What was it like?

I guess our overall goal is to have one of those "adventures of a lifetime"...and obviously to make it back alive. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! Wonderful site

Default check your private messages

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryImfinewith View Post
    I'm new to this site so let me first say "Hello". I've been doing some light research online and came across this wonderful resource that might help me in the early stages of planning a trip to Alaska.

One of my best friends is getting married next year and his idea of a bachelor party is traveling from Seattle, WA to somewhere in the Tongass National Forest, for about a week in the great outdoors. The rough idea is to take a ferry from probably Bellingham (WA) to a port city in Alaska where we could take a float plane to one of the lakes in the TNF. We are planning on staying in Forest Service Cabins, possible a night or two in one place and then moving to another, if that's an option. He had mentioned something about boating from one cabin to another, and to another, but I don't really know much of the area and where that would be possible.

There are 4 guys in total, all of which are fairly experienced campers/fishers/hikers, and we aren't looking for a fancy resort or anything like that. We are also not looking for the ultimate survival trip by any means, but rather a week or so alone to experience and enjoy the wilderness. Obviously this is something that takes a lot of research, planning, and preparation so I'm just curious if anyone has any advise they could offer (travel options, recommended cabin/campsites, recommended lakes/rivers, alternate resources)?

Has anyone here ever ventured off into something like this? If so, how did it turn out? What was it like?

I guess our overall goal is to have one of those "adventures of a lifetime"...and obviously to make it back alive. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated!

I sent you some ideas

Public land cabins in Alaska are notoriously full and busy. Cabin reservations are the FIRST thing you should take care of before any other plans.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile very true

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Public land cabins in Alaska are notoriously full and busy. Cabin reservations are the FIRST thing you should take care of before any other plans.
    I think you can rent up 6 months ahead. I think.

Yep..and there's dudes that sit there on the computer right when the clock turns midnight on the website and nail it for 180 days in advance. Try getting the Beach River Cabin on Montague during deer season and you will see what I mean Same thing when I tried several cabins in S.E. out of Ketchikan in the summer.. maybe I just picked the wrong days, but I finally just gave up. Hence my advice is to get them secured first. The penalty for cancelling is cheap.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There are 22 cabin on Wrangell island and most have little use except for hunting season. Many cabins only get used maybe once a year. Also you can hike to all of them and the harder the hike the better chance its going to be open.

Check out Nordic Tug Charters, skippered or bare boat. No need for shore cabins and they come with everything you need. We just had one of their 37'ers out and can't wait to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryImfinewith View Post

well a couple things to mention
    1. Amigowill is right - most of the cabins are lightly used, except for late august-early september which is bear/coho season. And that's when I like to go too - more rain, cooler, ergo more fish and less biting bugs.

2. I have done this lots of times. It has always turned out fairly well.

3. You can fly all you want between cabins. Realize that, for a group of 4 and gear, you are talking ~$700 an hour for a beaver.

4. You can rent boats and tool around if you have the skills; there is weather, obstacles, significant tide factors, but many people do it. There are also water taxis.

5. go to recreation.gov...that is the cabin/tent website for the FS facilities. at the moment, most of the cabins are showing unavailable after 1/1/10, but that is a computer glitch I suspect that will be fixed eventually. No big deal.

6. Each cabin has particular opportunities/constraints in terms of access, trails (most have none at all, so "hiking" is very different from what you are used to), bears or lack thereof, and fishing or lack thereof. Fishing is generally very good in Alaska, especially in the late summer and fall (late august - september).

7. If you are new at this sort of thing; I would recommend staying at one cabin for a week. There's usually enough to keep you busy, and moving around/setting up/packing takes more time and money than you probably think.

Good luck.