Thread: Rodbuilders

Default Rodbuilders

I am a rodbuilder, and on another forum ran across a Rodbuilding Group that has gatherings all winter long to show off their latest projects, and pass information along. I was fortunate enough to attend one of their gatherings last spring while traveling for buisness. I had a blast, and learned more in that one day than I have in years building rods in my basement. They were a great group of guys.

Are there any Rodbuilders that would be interested in getting something like that going up here?

You don't even have to be a Rodbuilder If you just want to learn we can do that as well.

if you are I can be contacted @ 907rodbuilder@gmail.com, or through a PM on this site.

Is that at possibly one of the NERBS get togethers?

I too am a rodbuilder. Have built several rods over the years and used to make custom rods for folks in college to support my fishing habit (and tie flies commercially). If you are in Anchorage, that would be great. I usually try to build one rod per winter although I have a Sage 8 wt. Xi2 sitting on the bench from about a year and a half ago that I haven't finished. It is close - just need to finish the butt wrap, but it is still long overdue.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Why Yes AKM5 it was. Have you had the opportunity to attend one of their events? I went to their New Jersey gathering this spring. The talent they displayed in their rodbuilding and threadwork was amazing. Billy V is the perfect MC for that type of event.

JMG I am in Anchorage. I am not sure where to hold the first event though. I was thinking of the resteraunt side of the Peters Creek American Legion. If you have any idea's let me know.

If either of you are interested in the Group let me know and I will add you to a list.

Default Count me in

I'd be interested in seeing that. I'm alway's looking to learn something new.

Default Me too!

It has been YEARS since I built a rod. Do they still use split bamboo and dope?

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Tenderfoot View Post
    It has been YEARS since I built a rod. Do they still use split bamboo and dope?

Some do, but they mostly live in the Valley!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Some do, but they mostly live in the Valley!!!

But from what I hear it is very good dope

PM sent
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Split Bamboo is something I have always wanted to learn. There is a couple in Tok that build some amazing Bamboo rods. We might be able to entice them to come down for a gathering. As far as the Dope goes...........Your on your own there. I have heard that the valley is the place to be for that..........lol

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    Split Bamboo is something I have always wanted to learn. There is a couple in Tok that build some amazing Bamboo rods. We might be able to entice them to come down for a gathering. As far as the Dope goes...........Your on your own there. I have heard that the valley is the place to be for that..........lol
    I gather you are talking about Jeffery and Rohnda Van Zandt.
    Not only split bamboo but some awesome Scrimshaw and Hand Engraved Silver Reel Seats.
    Their reels seats are absolutely the most beautiful works of art!!!

Default Sounds like fun

I would be interested in attending. I havent built one yet, but its on my list (like I need another way to spend $$ on gear)

Stan I will add you to the list. I had kind of counted on people attending that had never built rods before. I have a few stands to build rods on, and will try to put a couple more together.

Drifter that is exactly who I was thinking of. I have meant to plan a weekend in Tok and try to meet up with them. I read about them in Robuilder magazine and they seem like a great couple. They do amazing work.

Rodbuilder I will add you to the list.

I am shooting for the fisrt part of October.

I am getting jazzed for this. It is great to see people of all levels of rodbuilding responding.

I would be interested in learning how to build rods if it was in the valley

I have you on the list Skybust. I am going to try and hold the first few meetings at the American Legion in Peters Creek. I am a member out there so I don't think it will be a problem. That is one of the reasons, the second is that it is close to centrally located between the Valley, and South side of Anchorage. If that doesn't work for you keep your eyes open as in the future there may be a gathering in the valley.