Thread: Anybody smoke halibut?

Default Anybody smoke halibut?

I had some smoked halibut at a fish market a few weeks ago in Homer that was fabulous. Now that I have about 100 pounds (or more) of it in my freezer, I was thinking of giving it a try. Anybody ever smoke some up that turned out ok (and not too dry)?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used to all the time J... the key is keeping an eye on it.. or it WILL be dry... cans up nice also like salmon...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Be careful not to brine it for too long, just dip and dry off. A smoke house did some for me and it was too salty to eat.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    Be careful not to brine it for too long, just dip and dry off. A smoke house did some for me and it was too salty to eat.

yeah forgot that part... i used a light salt & B sugar brine.. and did about 10 min soaks.. and a LIGHT smoke..

but it is to hard to think of that.. at the moment i am smoking my bear hams that have brined all season in the freezer ... saturated in brown sugar and honey.... the meat is already so tender it is RIDICULES!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

Not trying to steal the thread, but what is the recipe for the Bear Hams?

thanks, Bill