Thread: Salmon Sharks taking tackle???

Default Salmon Sharks taking tackle???

In 3 hours of fishing my buddy and I lost 2 double hook setups and one deadhead jig. All three times there was a dissent tug on the line and when you pulled up-nothing but line; using 65lb test PowerPro. The first time I thought it was the knot or I just caught the line on a sharp rock, but after three times,,,no way.
    We fished off south Knight and in Montague channel, lost gear the same way in both places. I know my knots weren’t slipping because we pulled in a couple of nice Halibut, and I began tying a square knot in loose end at the terminal swivel.
    Never lost gear like this before, only thing that makes sense is Salmon Sharks; if I had some wire leader would have used it. So just wondering if anyone else was out there this weekend having the same problem, or had similar experience.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I lost gear to a shark out in the same area 2 weeks ago and there were reports of many in the area so.......

Default Humm

Saw this on the Seward docks Friday NIGHT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Saw this on the Seward docks Friday NIGHT!
    Nice COHO!!!!!!!

Makes you wonder how their digestive track handles a pound of lead and 2 circle hooks??? Yea!!!!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used to loose those 12" squid jigs second drop every time out on Bligh reef... usually on the way DOWN... lost more gear to shark then to my ex in the divorce.. and your only allowed 2....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i used to loose those 12" squid jigs second drop every time out on Bligh reef... usually on the way DOWN... lost more gear to shark then to my ex in the divorce.. and your only allowed 2....
    What?? ?? Divorces or Ex's?? ?? ??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    What?? ?? Divorces or Ex's?? ?? ??
    ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

learn fast i do...

give the second one what ever she wants... never divorce her... and let them LEAVE!!!

besides... if i am NOT divorced.. i can NOT remarry no matter how blonde they appear to be..

and in sprit of the thread... ex's ...... sharks.... same thing.. next time i am moving in with a bear... that way while i am being eaten i know it was my fault...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i can't afford to divorce her so i guess i'll just have to outlive her

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Blues would reak havoc on us in sitka! I didnt have a ton of problems with them...but I know a bunch of my partners did.

If you can't beatm...catchm! 30' of 3 3/32 aircraft cable...a "mooching" style rig of 2 10/0 J hooks, one crimped on the end, the other rigged as a slider....the not end crimped and a a ballon.