Thread: Just returned from Adak

Default Just returned from Adak

Well, after the months of planning and excitement, our hunt seemed to be over in a matter of seconds. We got to Adak last sunday and as soon as our bags were dropped in the terminal we were off in the field hiking. The weather was not bad at all as we were expecting rain and wind everyday out there and only experienced one day of really nasty weather. Out of all the hunters that came in on the plane, we were the only ones to get bulls. We hiked a total of 38 miles in 6 days and 13 of those miles were with meat on our backs. This was by far the most physically demanding hunt I have ever done but by far the most rewarding. Out of the three of us, only one "trophy" bull was taken and it was shot the day after we arrived at the beginning of the hunt. I took the last bull on Thursday and although he was small, the amount of work it took to get to him, and get him out of the field makes it my finest trophy to date. We managed to get all the meat humped back to the road by Friday afternoon and got a ride into town to a house we rented. By 10pm all the meat was cut up, packaged, and frozen with none lost to spoilage or bugs. As far as there being no big Bulls on Adak (as some say), if you are capable of hiking in a long ways and getting the meat out without spoiling there is definitely a good chance of finding one. Here are a few pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on your successful hunt!

Awesome hunt, thanks for sharing the pics and details! A lifetime of memories.

Default what a great story!

CGswimmer25,

What a great story about your caribou hunt! congratulations and way to be persistant! Swimmers always go the extra mile!! Your mounts are awesome but the meat and hides are awesome looking also. You will have these memories for the rest of your life!
    Thanks for your serviceto our country!

Nice going. Did you stay in town or camp out for the hunt? Looks like it would be a fun hunt.
    Jay

Thanks to all!! We camped the whole time and stayed in the hotel the last two nights to cut up the meat and clean gear. The trip was definately an adventure and one I will never forget!!

Thumbs up

Nice hunt report, sounds like you three put the miles in for those nice looking bou!

Default great trip

Sounds like you had a good time. It was nice to see some new pics I was there last year at the end of August and cannot wait to go back, Glad you did well. I got a small bull last year and know what you mean if you put the time in hiking.

I am heading out in November for some meat hopefully.

if anyone is looking for info, I have a friend out there that is renting a place (it is cheaper than the adak inn), also has other items, PM me if you want info

Eric

Default very nice

Looks like a beautiul area. Your effort were rewarded and thats what counts, congradulations.

Very good hunt and you earned every bit of meat which will make the memories last just that much longer.

Congrats on your bou!

Planned a hunt there myself last year only to have it spoiled (two days before we were to fly out) by the city of Adak's inability to pay it's fuel bill. Maybe next year.

Thumbs up

Congrats on the bou! Sounds like you worked hard and had a great time. We're heading down in late October for one. Fingers crossed.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default Fellow Coastie

awesome job...I usually sat in the front of your work ride, and continue to be amazed and in awe of your skills, endurance and committment...stay safe and thanks for keeping the watch...

USCG (ret)

Default Good Hunting

I actually flew back to Anchorage with you guys when you came back. Looks like you did well.

I am always amazed at how few real huge bulls come out of Adak. Last Saturday, I glassed several hundred animals out there, and didn't see any really big racks. Adak is a good place for a meat run though.

There was a guy out there with his kid that you were talking to at the airport. How did they do?

very nice caribou and some nice tasting meat im sure. sounds like you guys put in more work than sheep hunters, congrads and thanks for your pictures

Thanks for all the reply's. Ak -Grown, the guy and his son we were talking to ended up taking a cow in the beginning of the week. It was his son's first big game harvest so he was pretty excited!! I agree that Adak is a great meat hunt but I believe if you can get down to the very south part of the island where nobody really hunts you will find some big ones. If I can talk a few guys into it that will be a trip for next year!!

Good hunt

Those are perfect "Parkee skins".

Good job.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default South End of Island

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's. Ak -Grown, the guy and his son we were talking to ended up taking a cow in the beginning of the week. It was his son's first big game harvest so he was pretty excited!! I agree that Adak is a great meat hunt but I believe if you can get down to the very south part of the island where nobody really hunts you will find some big ones. If I can talk a few guys into it that will be a trip for next year!!
    Yes, I have heard of people getting around there. I know there are a few guys with boats out there that run people around the island. I cannot remember who it was, but I'm sure a few phone calls would turn up some answers.
    I heard there was a transporter from Cordova that brought some guys from Utah out there a few years back. From what I was told they went around to the S side, and got some real nice racks.

Glad you guys did well. That is an awesome place to hunt. I sure hope it stays open for us.