Thread: Snorkel Install

Default Snorkel Install

Anyone know of a quality mechanic that could install a Bayou Snorkel kit on my 07 Yamaha Big Bear and possibly an 08 Arctic Cat 400 manual? A local Anchorage dealer decided they couldn't install the kit on my Big Bear. Waiting to hear if the Arctic Cat guys say the same thing...

Most likely no dealer will do the work, in their minds...you want a snorkel, which means you wanna go into deeper water, therefore opening up many more options for future warranty claims which they will most likely deny.

Is this an actual kit or homebrew? I could do the work for you but it would have to wait until the 2nd week of September.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Its an actual kit from www.bayousnorkels.com. I appreciate the other offer, I may take you up on it.

I have to give some props to the local Arctic Dealer (I wasn't sure if I was allowed to refer to their actual name). They installed the snorkel kit on my 08 Arctic Cat 400 and had no problems installing the kit on my 07 Yamaha Big Bear. For my first experience with their service department, it was very positive.

TWB -- Thanks again for the offer to help with the install.

Martin14-

Where do you ride that you needed the snorkel kit? I'm just curious.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The Knik area is probably the first place that comes to mind. I already found out, the hard way, how low the stock intake is the Big Bear. Of course I'm aware that a snorkel kit doesn't give me an excuse to not think before I venture into the water, but hopefully it will give me a few extra seconds to regret my decision and back out of a "deep" situation :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin14 View Post
    The Knik area is probably the first place that comes to mind. I already found out, the hard way, how low the stock intake is the Big Bear. Of course I'm aware that a snorkel kit doesn't give me an excuse to not think before I venture into the water, but hopefully it will give me a few extra seconds to regret my decision and back out of a "deep" situation :0)
    Ahh. We've not ridden out there since the water got so high. It was pretty bad last year, though, and we didn't run into issues, but I do know the intake on the Grizzly's is about seat high or so so maybe that's why.

So, got pics of the machines with the new snorkels?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Yeah, it probably wasn't that bad when we were last out there, I was just a little too gung-ho to try and cross anywhere, not where everyone else was crossing.

Here's a couple of not-so-good iPhone pics. You can kind of see the snorkels. I'm anxious to try out the new treads!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just about everywhere I ride I end up wishing I had a snorkle. Just last week off of Willow Fishhook was the last place. Mudholes and river crossing.

Snorkels would come in handy in a few of the places that I like to hunt, if the water is high you aren't crossing without one.