Thread: Thoughts on a Drop camp

Question Thoughts on a Drop camp

Just wondering what your thoughts on a drop camp on a 3 mile lake. I am doing a moose hunt on a lake and was wondering how others have handled that situation. How would you position your camp in relation to the lake? What I'm refering to, is if you position it so that you are a certain distance from an area that you want to hunt on the lake? If you set it back in the woods you loose the discouraging fact that you are there and others comming in and landing on you. Do moose avoid the shores with camps set up on the edge? What, if anything, do you do to discourage others from landing in on you? How close do you consider inappropriate? I realize that it's god land and open to anyone but i'm just trying to get an idea as to what others have see, done, and dealt with. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think others will have difernt opinons then yourself....

last year.. we had three different groups set up with in 100 yards of our camp..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Some of the best hunting areas are those that have the most traffic. Most folks wanna shoot something from camp or their 4wheeler.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Hate to be a downer, but if you see a great area that you want to hunt in an area of high traffic, just plan on not hunting it and find something else. People usually get the grand idea to set up camp right in the middle of prime hunting areas so they can claim it as thier own. I have seen it happen dozens of times.

Also remeber that the early bird gets the worm, wake up before everyone else and get set in your area.

Put the setting sun behind you or in front your choise. Only you can let others spoil your day.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Also remeber that the early bird gets the worm, wake up before everyone else and get set in your area.
    x2. Moose follow a different pattern in a given area, try and pick up on what that is.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think others will have difernt opinons then yourself....

last year.. we had three different groups set up with in 100 yards of our camp..
    I think that I would have been mad as all heck. Maybe its just me but that seem rude beyond belief!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Some of the best hunting areas are those that have the most traffic. Most folks wanna shoot something from camp or their 4wheeler.
    There won't be any 4 wheelers due to the 1 hour flight to get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    There won't be any 4 wheelers due to the 1 hour flight to get in there.
    More of a general statement of access any time you hunt with others in the area. Sometimes it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Just make sure your hard work fills your tag, not theirs.

Are you hunting in GMU 17? Talk to your air taxi ,ask if they have any other guys wanting a drop at that lake. Ask them how many camps are typically on that lake, is it in the park? if it is are permits required ask Johny Evans, If it's not you might call Justin Rodgers the local trooper and ask him.

KK

Default hunting odds

every hunter has a truck
    75% have a 4 wheeler
    20% have a boat
    5% fly out (I do admit lz's are limited tho)
    odds are alright for you
    as for hunting, find it first, kill it first, good luck this year

Robbie

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    every hunter has a truck
    75% have a 4 wheeler
    20% have a boat
    odds are alright for you

Robbie
    added to this...

part of finding it first is getting out of the warm bag before 10. or even 9... moose have gone to bed by then...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

they will wake back up

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Are you hunting in GMU 17? Talk to your air taxi ,ask if they have any other guys wanting a drop at that lake. Ask them how many camps are typically on that lake, is it in the park? if it is are permits required ask Johny Evans, If it's not you might call Justin Rodgers the local trooper and ask him.

KK
    We will be in 17 and have been doing plenty of research. Thanks for the info. I appreciate the responses.........Does anyone have any input and experience as to camp placement on lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    every hunter has a truck
    75% have a 4 wheeler
    20% have a boat
    odds are alright for you

Robbie
    And everyone has a set of Chevro-LEGS...but many people just won't use 'em.

I like about 50 yards from lake shore and if side stream also 50 yards. Pick the side of the stream with the smaller bear trail.

Set up on the lake for moose doesn't seem to be a major consideration, in my limited experience. Noise and disturbance is more of a consideration. Last year we had a bull swim the slough we were on 20 yards from camp and walk right up to the camp area. We were back about 10 yards since that was the only area close to being suitable for camp. We also had a couple cows within 150 yards of camp on a couple days.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    We will be in 17 and have been doing plenty of research. Thanks for the info. I appreciate the responses.........Does anyone have any input and experience as to camp placement on lakes?
    Yep, sure do. Place your camp on the highest ground around the lake. Look for a location that offers a ridge behind camp to gain as much elevation as you can, quickly. Bulls like to bed down on ridges. Try to always hunt UPHILL. That way, you are packing Moose DOWNHILL. On a lake that size, take along something that will float you and a half a moose. It will open up more opportunities to the other side of the lake. Usually you can see a lot of Moose on the other side of the lake, but getting to them is a different story, so you need mobility.
    Call with Bull Grunts at night before bed and again before coffee in the morning. Build a smokey/smudge fire at the lakes edge and let it burn all the time. The fire masks your scent, draws in Moose and serves as a signal to prospective hunters, looking for a place to set up their camp. Early morning, glass the shore lines before you make any moves or noise. Put up a space blanket for signalling your presence. It would be extremely unlikely that someone would camp near you, if they know you are there. Try to hold down the clinking of camp cookware and loud laughing. Noise travels greatly across the water, moreso than into the timber. NEVER target practice in camp, unless you absolutely have to rezero a piece, that is suspect of being off. This should all be done before going afield.
    Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~