Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Good shops near Anchorage

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Good shops near Anchorage

    I live in Kodiak and will be travling to Anchorage next week on business. I'm looking for CCWs, one for myself and one for my wife. $ is a concern. And while I don't mind paying a little more (within reason) for a better gun, I really don't want to find the gun I bough for $100 less two days after I already bought it somewhere else. If I wanted to pay more than fair price for a handgun, I'd just buy it here on the island.

    Also, so far we have been considering an Airlight .38 sp. (we have handled these in local shops, but never shot them), or an LCP (we have only seen these on the Ruger site. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Any other suggestions in this price range?

    I'm comming over on the ferry and driving up from Homer, so I would be interested in looking at any good shops along the way.

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    I have the LCP and IMO it's a nice little functional pistol for what I bought it for, CCW. No malfunctions to date.

    I didn't find it too offensive to shoot, but I wouldn't to put a 100 hot rounds thru it.

  3. #3
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    You can get a Springfield sub-compact in 9mm for roughly the same price.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  4. #4

    Default

    You should go to WWG off of the Seward Hwy. Ask for Ken (WildAlaska). They will make you good deals but may have to order what you want. Full gunsmith services too.

    Best in-stock selection of guns is probably at Great Northern Guns off of Tudor. Some decent used stock from time to time. They will haggle. Often have good used longguns but your interest is CCW.

    Mt View sports sometimes has some neat pieces, sometimes not. Count on high prices though.

    Boondock in Eagle River has been good in the past - haven't been there in a year or so.

    Of course there's Sportsman's Warehouse. Never bought a gun there.

    Can't remember the name of it, but the shop just north of Tudor off of Old Seward has a great selection also. Sometimes they have good used selection too. Prices are decent. Lots of holster selection. Have a smith onsite who does good trigger jobs on revos. Never had him do any work for me directly, but have shot guns he did and the trigger/action jobs were smooth.

    Others will chime in on other shops in town. Above are my faves.

    The j-frames should not be too hard to find. Not sure about the LCP.

    I have carried a 442 over the years and it is a good little gun. Has always gone bang. Like any small gun, you have to practice with it. Wife may find it unmanageable depending on her willingness to practice. I don't think most people can effectively use a 357 j-frame, but that's just me. They sure are concealable though, and so light that you can actually forget that you're carrying.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for te info so far. I'll look into the springfield and I'll put those shops on my list. If I had to order, could it be shipped to me in Kodiak without an FFL? Is there a range/shop where I can actually fire some rounds through my rspects?

  6. #6

    Default

    I recomend Wild West Guns. Good service, interesting conversation and great prices.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Danger View Post
    Thanks for te info so far. I'll look into the springfield and I'll put those shops on my list. If I had to order, could it be shipped to me in Kodiak without an FFL? Is there a range/shop where I can actually fire some rounds through my rspects?
    You have to be present to fill out the paperwork & get the background check done at the time of purchase. Handguns must be shipped from FFL to FFL.

  8. #8
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Worth looking at Fred Myer, if they have it the price will likely be unbeatable.

    There are several ranges but none that you can try before you buy that I know of. I could point you to many in the lower 48, but Alaska is in need of one still.

    Here is a link to FFL holders in Alaska that will receive a gun for you if you ever need one shipped. At least 3 guys down there and $25 flat looks like the price.

    http://www.gunbroker.com/User/FFLByState.asp
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  9. #9
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunblade View Post
    Handguns must be shipped from FFL to FFL.
    I have never heard of that before.

    I got 5 so far this year off Gunbroker.com and all have shipped non FFL seller to my FFL here. I shipped three outbound using FFL to FFL because that way it can go in the post office $10 flat rate Priority Mail boxes. Since my FFL guy does it for me for free and even feeds me some good coffee to boot so itís the way to go. I used to just UPS or FedEx them all the time to the buyers FFL myself before I knew a privet FFL holder.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I recomend Wild West Guns. Good service, interesting conversation and great prices.
    And good looking sales people. The girls, that is! About 15 years ago Wild West re-blued my father-in-law's old, rusty Remington 720 in 300 H&H. They did a spectacular job on a gun with great sentimental value. I'll forever be appreciative of that service.

    Mt View is competitive with anybody in town price-wise. And I've shopped! My favorite all-around outdoors store.

    What's the little hole-in-the-wall shop at 76th & Old Seward? They're good. I just can't recall their name.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Some excellent information here. Thank you everyone. I'm really excited about my trip now.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Stop by...we generally can beat any price in the state or on the net on a stocked item.....

  13. #13
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Local shops

    I bought my LCP from Boondocks for cheap at the sportsman show last spring.

    Gunrunners has always done me good, used him twice, for a glock and .22 pump. Had them pretty fast.

    On the other hand Walmart on A st. has the LCP for $269 or less, was just there and not sure if 69 or 59. About what I paid or a little more but was surprised to see it there. NO AMMO THOUGH!

    It is a good little gun. I have big hands and a couple time I hit the mag release button during recoil. Just enough to where it wouldn't load another round.

    I sold my airlight smith to get the LCP. About the same wieight, little bit lighter by an ounce or so. But conceals much nicer because it is flat and you don't have the cylinder pushing the gun out in a IWB holster. On me it would rotate the butt out and then pinch my shirt in there showing the profile of the gun. NO prob with the LCP. Also just drop in a pocket and go.

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Yeah, the Walmart down here has been out of just about all handgun amo for about 6 months now. I was also told that if I wanted to purchase anything they had in stock, it would take about a week, because they don't actually have any of the guns in the case "in stock". There's just the ones in the case, but none of them have firing pins, so they still have to order the gun. Is that how it is up there? With my luck, I'd be back on the island beforeit came in.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default hammerless S&W model 642 .357 magnum

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Danger View Post
    Also, so far we have been considering an Airlight .38 sp.
    This smith & wesson is dependable, light, small, error free with no hammer and no semi-auto machinery, and you can also load it with light .38 cal bullets for plinking more cheaply. My favorite small gun.

    http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

  16. #16
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Danger View Post
    Yeah, the Walmart down here has been out of just about all handgun amo for about 6 months now. I was also told that if I wanted to purchase anything they had in stock, it would take about a week, because they don't actually have any of the guns in the case "in stock". There's just the ones in the case, but none of them have firing pins, so they still have to order the gun. Is that how it is up there? With my luck, I'd be back on the island beforeit came in.

    I have no idea if they had any in stock. Just popped over to see about ammo, that was an easy answere! Never asked about the guns in the case and availability. You could call them before hand as well as shops here in town. Most might have to order. Gunrunners on Northern lights had my glock in two days. I would recommend calling ahead and checking things out.

  17. #17
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    I attempted to purchase a Taurus 44 from Wal mart, they dont stock them but they have to order them. They said it would be in the next day so I was like no big deal, next day comes, no gun. They than said the next day, still no gun. A week later still no GUN, I was pretty upset, so I just told them to give me my cash back. Went to fred meyers who stocks the guns, pretty much the same price but they actually stock there guns unlike wallys, got it the same night, no waiting, no BS. With that said, ill never buy a gun thru walmart again unless the price is too hard to pass up...my mom bought that $269 Ruger LCP there, she had better luck, hers came in 2 or 3 days (they also said the "next" day too though ). Limited ammo selection and no in stock guns, no thanks....next time Im going to get mine through a local gun store. Maybe i am just impatient but only reason I even ordered through them is because they said it will be here the next day, if they have said a week I would of walked away and went elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Danger View Post
    Yeah, the Walmart down here has been out of just about all handgun amo for about 6 months now. I was also told that if I wanted to purchase anything they had in stock, it would take about a week, because they don't actually have any of the guns in the case "in stock". There's just the ones in the case, but none of them have firing pins, so they still have to order the gun. Is that how it is up there? With my luck, I'd be back on the island beforeit came in.
    Yup, Wal-Mart does not sell guns they have a contract with a dealer and the display guns are inoperable. They are also anti-handgun and pulled them from the lower 48 stores in the earley 90s. Wal-Mart suck

    Fred’s on the other hand stocks guns, will sell them to you on the spot, and the display guns are part of the stock on hand like any other gun store.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  19. #19
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default well, my 2cents worth on that...

    Unless WWG or Ak Tactical, Boondocks, or the likes starts charging double someday... I'll be spending my money where I can get quality help if I ever need some gunsmithing done or some "real" advice from folks who know rather than someone who just graduated from the shoe sales dept at one of the corporate giants trying to capitolize on a market that these smaller and more professional shops have been serving well and with honesty for all these years.

    Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I attempted to purchase a Taurus 44 from Wal mart, they dont stock them but they have to order them. They said it would be in the next day so I was like no big deal, next day comes, no gun. They than said the next day, still no gun. A week later still no GUN, I was pretty upset, so I just told them to give me my cash back. Went to fred meyers who stocks the guns, pretty much the same price but they actually stock there guns unlike wallys, got it the same night, no waiting, no BS. With that said, ill never buy a gun thru walmart again unless the price is too hard to pass up...my mom bought that $269 Ruger LCP there, she had better luck, hers came in 2 or 3 days (they also said the "next" day too though ). Limited ammo selection and no in stock guns, no thanks....next time Im going to get mine through a local gun store. Maybe i am just impatient but only reason I even ordered through them is because they said it will be here the next day, if they have said a week I would of walked away and went elsewhere.

  20. #20
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Unless WWG or Ak Tactical, Boondocks, or the likes starts charging double someday... I'll be spending my money where I can get quality help if I ever need some gunsmithing done or some "real" advice from folks who know rather than someone who just graduated from the shoe sales dept at one of the corporate giants trying to capitolize on a market that these smaller and more professional shops have been serving well and with honesty for all these years.
    Totally agree, I am one to usually buy my bows, hunting gear, etc. from smaller local shops. But in this case the price got the best of me, it was more of a spur of the moment type of thing. NEXT time I will be purchasing at a local gunstore, cause as you said the price may be more(or maybe less?!!) but they are willing to stand behind there products and service and our knowledgable, well atleast most of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •