Thread: Lake Creek Float to Shovel Lake?

Default Lake Creek Float to Shovel Lake?

Hello,

Has anyone ever floated Lake Creek and taken out at Shovel Lake instead of continuing on to the mouth of Lake Creek and the Yetna?

On Google Earth it looks to be about a mile at the shortest point, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the portage?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Default I dont think so, but....

Thats pretty thick country and tough hiking. I tried to do it a couple years ago and the trail started out fairly decent but got really tough to follow and was over grown. It might be better now, but its not real wide.
    Last week I did float down the river and stayed at a camp spot due West of Quit Lake. There IS i wide 4-wheeler trail all the way to this lake. If you had a cart or something for your gear it would be possible to take out there. Even noticed a cabin with an Arctic Cat UTV! If you befriended that guy it would be a piece of cake!

Default P.S.

It was 1.29 trail miles from this camp spot to the Lake.

Ridgerat, thanks for the info. How was the float? Water level good?

Default It was pretty low.

Of the 6 (or so) times I've made this trip over the past 10 years it was the lowest I've seen it. However this river level changes very quickly with a little rain, so I would try to find out how much they have had since we left there Aug. 9th and be prepared for low water if it hasnt rained. There was only two of us in a 13'6 boat so is was pretty easy. Would have been a challenge in my old 15'6. There were no logs in the "Canyon" section but there was a couple large cotonwoods down in the river downstream of Quite Lake. But they were easily missed if you're paying attention.

We had 5 days of mostly sun, and two days of rain. We were a little early for the silvers (just started hitting them good the last couple days there), but we only saw one other group of rafters on the river all week so that was nice.

Smile Lake Creek 2009

Lake Creek is in great shape this 2009 season...

The river is cleaner than most years --- so people must be making a better effort to leave fewer traces of garbage and human waste.

Kings were fewest I've seen in 20 or so years... but this is mostly consequential to environmental conditions that greatly interfered with a normally successful spawning cycle of the King run. (*warm, low waters for stress fish staging endlessly in spawn beds plus the eggs cooking all that summer... then major fall floods that moved a lot of river structure and tons of bottom/beach gravel)

Thi year the river has not gotten too low for anyone to have many issues and fluctuations have not had much impact on altering trip plans or fishing conditions - like most years - However... we are mid August -- this is the month of quick changes in weather, water levels, river pace, fishing conditions, and overall water clarity.

The portages of question to Shovel Lake and Quiet Lake are hardly worth the efforts, bugs, or mud slugging. Shovel Lake is a pretty useless plan, and I'd not recommend this one at all. Quiet Lake is a so-so put in for day-tripping or an overnight because it's mostly short distance downhill to the river... but makes a poor option uphill for take out.

Brian...thanks for the information that was exactly what we were looking for. We are planning to float Lake Creek next Thursday through Monday. Hope the water level is good for us. This is the latest that I have floated it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rr_waller@yahoo.com View Post
    Brian...thanks for the information that was exactly what we were looking for. We are planning to float Lake Creek next Thursday through Monday. Hope the water level is good for us. This is the latest that I have floated it.
    Should be a great trip... the 5 day 4 nighter is the ideal time-frame...

Fall colors are turning on the upper river.