Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180's in a 308 winchester

Default 180's in a 308 winchester

I would like to load some 180 TTSX in 308 win. I would like to use IMR4350 but don't see any recipe's for this in the books. I also have access to IMR 4064 and I do see a load for the 165gr TTSX but not for the 180's. Anyone out there with experience shooting 4350 behind a 180 in the 308? I would like to keep it above 2500 fps.

Default I'll get flamed for this

but if I were to use 180s in a .308 for moose, blackies or blacktail, I'd use a good traditional bullet like a Hornady round nose or spirepoint or even a CoreLokt. Just my thing. When I used .308s down below I used 165gr. bullets as a good balance between velocity and energy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    I would like to load some 180 TTSX in 308 win. I would like to use IMR4350 but don't see any recipe's for this in the books. I also have access to IMR 4064 and I do see a load for the 165gr TTSX but not for the 180's. Anyone out there with experience shooting 4350 behind a 180 in the 308? I would like to keep it above 2500 fps.

i am curious too... the barnes seem so much longer then the nosler or Horney i have.. seems the seating depth would be too much for that short case... with the new 308 on the way.. i am looking at 150-168 accubond being max for it and doing just as well.. and i think they are a better bullet... so far....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I'll get flamed for this
    but if I were to use 180s in a .308 for moose, blackies or blacktail, I'd use a good traditional bullet like a Hornady round nose or spirepoint or even a CoreLokt. Just my thing. When I used .308s down below I used 165gr. bullets as a good balance between velocity and energy.
    I don’t know who would flame you for that. Lighter will work but 180s work better, even better yet is 200s if the gun and shooter can shoot them.

Well, I went with the 4064. I've got a compressed load of 43 gr behind the 180 gr TTSX. I am loading for 2 rifles chambered in 308. A ruger and a Remington. The Remington COAL is slightly shorter then the ruger but the real reason for the compressed loads is the magazine box in the Rem is small and won't allow me to load to the Barnes recommended distance off the lands. I thought about using a shorter bonded bullet but I have had really good results with the Barnes TSX and especially the TTSX. I am hoping to get by loading one OAL for both rifles so we'll see tomorrow.

Thumbs up 308 win

The 308 win reloaded this for 35 years...........for Alaska 180gr Nosler Part or Accubond and IMR 3031 worked excellent.

As well as Varget at 44.1 and Reloader 15 at 42.0.

Excellent Moose loads

Used within its limitations the 308 Win is a excellent cart. and very accurate.

Another good powder is IMR 4895 @ 43.6 with 165gr bullets.......really like the Sierra BTHP Gameking. This is the load I have used the most. FC Brass and Fed 210M primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    The 308 win reloaded this for 35 years...........for Alaska 180gr Nosler Part or Accubond and IMR 3031 worked excellent.

Excellent Moose loads

Another good powder is IMR 4895 @ 43.6 with 165gr bullets.......really like the Sierra BTHP Gameking. This is the load I have used the most. FC Brass and Fed 210M primers.
    Thanks for the reply Bush hunter. I went to the range today and the load shot great in both rifles. I shot 1.5" in the Remington and .75" in the Ruger. Next I plan on shooting through the Chrono to check there speed.

One thing I have noticed and apparently it doesn't matter, is that when I am compressing the load I have to Do it slower than normal or it won't get a consistant seating. 43 gr looks like a lot of powder in the case. It's about half way up the shoulder to the neck. I've seen loads requiring more powder than these so I guess it can be done.
    I guess my next question would be, can there be an over compressed load or will the case fail during the process of loading it?

Default I think I would shoot it all the time

If i found a load that shot .75 inch groups at 100 yards , I think I would shoot it all the time ! I am guessing the velocity will be around 2300-2400 fps ! Just a guess ! Good luck !! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

I haven't used the Barnes, but with 180 grain Nosler partitions and Remington Corelokts, I've always used max or near-max loads of Win 760. It's a superbly accurate combo hitting or slightly topping 2400 in all my rifles I've chronoed. A friend reports similar happiness with Varget. As I recall, it's lightly compressed with the partition, so I don't know how that will translate with the Barnes.

Thumbs up Case

If powder space is a problem in your FC cases then switch to WW cases. WW tend to have a little more powder room in the 308 Win.

I shoot the following: 185 grain Scenar in Lapua case with 210M primer, 40 grains RL15, OAL 2.8, chronoed @2450 out of a 26" B;laser, best group is 5 shots in a little over .250

I firmly believe in RL15.
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

I haven't tried the 180 tsx in the .308, but did load some different 180's in the .308 a few years back. I'll have to dig up my load notes. As I recall I tried RL 15 and VV N-550. The best velocity I got, as I recall, was 2550 fps. I also picked up some rem 180 gr rn factory ammo and it was clocking 2600 fps. This from a 20" barrel.

That said, my thinking is the barnes bullets perform best when pushed fast, so I can't personally see going heavier than 165 gr in the .308, they penetrate like nobodies business. I'm loading 130 tsx's in my wifes 308 for deer.

Default 180's

While the TSX is a great bullet and the 308 is a fine caliber. The 2 just weren't ment for each other. The 180 grn.TSX is a very long projectile for the short 308 case and magazine. The performance of the rifle and bullet will both suffer. SURE you can shoot the 180 grain out of a 308 you can also shoot a 200 grain TXS out of it too. But the velocity and accuracy loss won't be worth it. The 165 grain is about the maximum effecient TSX available for the 308 due to it's long length.
    AND with the performance of the 165 grn.TSX bullet why eat the extra recoil and suffer the reduced performance. A 165grn TSX is almost as long as an Accubond 180 grn.
    Just my 2 cents.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I shoot the following: 185 grain Scenar in Lapua case with 210M primer, 40 grains RL15, OAL 2.8, chronoed @2450 out of a 26" B;laser, best group is 5 shots in a little over .250

I firmly believe in RL15.

i am leaning this way too... i am just gathering for the 308 now...

i have a lb of RL 15 and one of Varget... and 150 gn hornady. to play with.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post

Excellent Moose loads

Yikes!!! Are you sure about that?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    While the TSX is a great bullet and the 308 is a fine caliber. The 2 just weren't ment for each other. The 180 grn.TSX is a very long projectile for the short 308 case and magazine. The performance of the rifle and bullet will both suffer. SURE you can shoot the 180 grain out of a 308 you can also shoot a 200 grain TXS out of it too. But the velocity and accuracy loss won't be worth it. The 165 grain is about the maximum effecient TSX available for the 308 due to it's long length.
    AND with the performance of the 165 grn.TSX bullet why eat the extra recoil and suffer the reduced performance. A 165grn TSX is almost as long as an Accubond 180 grn.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I pretty much agree with this. I love the caliber and have loaded and shot it since 1972 and have shot 1" groups at 300 yards, from several rifles, with it. The all copper 180 grain TSX is just so long and takes up so much powder space in the short case, and with the lower velocity the Barnes offers no advantage in the case. The 180 and 200 TSX belong in the 300 mag cases. I've hunted for many different animals with the 308 and the various 180 grain bullets, Sierra pro hunter 180 RN, the 180 semispitzer partition and the now defunct 170 grain round nose partition. I've made many match load with 180 and the 185 lapua bullets but even the 185 Lapua is shorter than the TSX and doesn't need the velocity to do its work, the TSX does.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default just for reference

I agree that the 180gr TSX is just too long for a .308 case. You lose way too much of the powder precious capacity, and I don't think you really need the 180gr TSX for moose.

Just for reference, I shot a large moose this year at a lasered 208 yards with two 140gr TSXs out of my 7mm-08. One bullet went right through both shoulders and kept going. The other went diagonally through the shoulder, then the rib cage, and lodged under the hide just back of the last rib on the other side. Based on this I think a good 165 grain bullet traveling a few hundred fps faster will be flatter shooting and still provide plenty of penetration and power. Like Murphy said, if it were my choice I would save the long, no-lead 180 and 200 grainers for cartridges where case capacity is not a limiting factor.

just my .02

Might look at Speer Grand Slam 180gr as a good premium bullet which is not overly long.

I like the .308 in a Long Action receiver just to enable heavier bullets with better ballistic coefficiency.

"Might look at Speer Grand Slam 180gr as a good premium bullet which is not overly long."

That's an excellent bullet and a great choice for the 308. It doesn't get much attention these days, but that doesn't change its capabilities.

I piped back in for another reason. Have you also considered the 165 grain bullet? I've never felt that was any penalty in terminal ballistics for the little bit of weight loss, while there ARE significant gains in velocity and trajectory. The 165 grain Partition is more or less my standard bullet in the 308. I guess in my mind it's in keeping with the scaling down of the 30-06 to get the 308. A 165 in the 308 is my version of the 180 in the 30-06-- all a mental game for sure and not a claim that they're equivalent. But I just feel the 308 case capacity is better "balanced" to the 165, whatever that means.

I agree with BrownBear on this. I am pretty much a heavy for caliber fan but am also a match the bullet with the powder kind of guy. Or maybe a better term is to get enough velocity to make the bullet perform the way it is supposed to. With the 30-06 and the 180 partition it is one of the truly great field perfomers because the velocity is about 2750 or so. With the 308 the 165 in any bullet type will work better in the field for most uses. Not necessarilly the partition, there is 165 Grand Slam also. The inside 300 yards hunting has little need for the long spitzers that give us high BC numbers. Personally I like the round nose of flat nose like the 165 grain Kodiak bonded for the 308 and contrary to what many believe that bullet does reach 300 yards easily and hits hard. The 165 grain 308 will serve well in this role as a 300 yard hunting caliber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast