Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another little backpacked 'bou hunt report

Default Another little backpacked 'bou hunt report

Another member here thought I should post my story of my wife's and I walk-in 'bou hunt.

Hiked in on the evening of the 8th...saw this guy on the walk in to get the blood pumping:

I'm always amazed at how much bigger a large bull caribou's body is than a decent sized cow caribou.

Camped half way in. These three guys were browsing on alders 300 yrds from our tent that night. 2 of the 3 had 4 brow tines on atleast one side and the one on the left I'd put at over 50" already which is pretty darn good for August 8th:

Woke up to rain on August 9th but that knocked the smoke down as visibility of the area was less than a mile until the rain came. I was feeling sorry for the sheep hunters with visibility like that as we were hiking in.

Setup base camp on the 9th. And bucked up some firewood by hand and offered our fire to warm up by to some very damp sheep hunters warm up by our fire on their way in to hunt.

The 10th we woke up early hike 3 miles to our vantage point and saw atleast 50+ bou and not a person in sight with visibilty 5+ miles in every direction. Except for some sheep hunters high on the mountains that I found in the spotter.

Mostly cows, calves, and small bulls that weren't big enough to give me the warm fuzzy on antler size plus it was opening day so we let them walk.

The 11th we hiked 2 miles to get above tree line on our way to our vantage point. At which point I spotted a group of 6 'bou about a mile off (1.2 by GPS) and one was a small bull after examining through the spotter (almost didn't even bust out the spotter as I was too focused on getting back to our spotting hill).

Once we figured out it was a bull we set off after him. 1 hour later we were 150 yrds from 6 bedded caribou. Waited an hour for the bou to stand up and it was game over for the 'bou after I made my wife's (my old rifle) bark twice and he was down for good.

Then began the 3 mile (which is 11 miles total from the truck at that point) pack back to camp after we had him all cleaned up and packed in the packs. The load slings with the NICE pockets and daypack lids made for a money daypack setup capable of hauling out meat very nicely BTW.

Back at camp, drank the rest of our box wine we hauled out there so we didn't have to haul it out the next day...yes we backpacked in wine!!! And also cooked up some tasty backstrap over the campfire.

The next day was basically a lot of packing.

8 miles 3 times (2 with loads) started at 9 am and got the last load to the truck at 11:30 pm then I drove 6 hours back home. Whirl wind trip back but nice to be home.

Looks like it was a good trip, thanks for sharing bro. I always enjoy reading storys about those who choose to pack in.

Thumbs up WOW

Im envious! That looks like a great trip, thanks for posting

Sounds like a great trip. It does not appear that the bugs were out in force either. Thanks for posting.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Great story,great pics and thanks for shareing them. Congrats on a wonderfull family trip

Awesome Lanche!!

Great hunt, great methods, great partner!!

and great eats to boot!!!

Luke,

Congrats, really great pics too, love to see pics of packing out the meat and cooking some over the fire. Not to mention hunting and working with the better half <grin>.

Default Swwweeeeeettt

Man that looked like a fun hunt. I say fun but I suppose all the packing out wasn't the best, but you had help and company. Nice pictures and the moose look awsome. I am going to try some backstraps over the open fire on the next animal I get, looks mighty tasty. Did you season them? And the wine taken in, I say it was good training-carrying that extra weight on the way in . Thanks for sharing.

You got quite a women there Luke, your future kids will awesome hunters someday with both parents teaching and taking part in the hunt. See you in a few days! By the way, made it to the top of Panorama with dad, Hannah, and Aaron yesterday, it was great!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Congrats on the great hunt and thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a good time. that first bull would certainly serve to get the blood pumping!

Default great pics.

Looks like the two of you had a great time. Congrats on the success.

P.S. Can I get you to take me moose hunting with youPleasssssse...

Great pics, great story, and great adventure! It sure puts into perspective all of the threads about nowhere to hunt and no access to game...a lot more access when people are willing to head out like you guys do!

Default Great pictures

Thanks for taking the time to post. Motivates me!

Good Job! Congratulations.

Nice photos and trip report.

Thumbs up

Great hunt and nice writeup! Sounds like those new packs are working out well for you two, not sure I would be willing to haul in wine on a hike like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    You got quite a women there Luke, your future kids will awesome hunters someday with both parents teaching and taking part in the hunt. See you in a few days! By the way, made it to the top of Panorama with dad, Hannah, and Aaron yesterday, it was great!
    Thanks for the kind words. Look forward to chasing some 'bou, moose, or sheep (whatever we decide) here in the coming days.

Thumbs up good job....

Good read and good pics. I was looking at some pics of my wife and I on a moose hunt down the Swanson River 27 years ago. We looked so young! Oh, to be young and strong again. Moose and caribou hunting with my wife was lots of fun. Our last hunt together was up the Koyukuk in 2007. I hope the 2 of you share many more hunts together. What is the rifle and caliber you used? Is it a Mod. 7? I need to get one for the Grankids!

Impressive!! It is a model 7, .308!! Its been my gun since I was about 12, and been on many fun hunts. And yes, the wife and I look forward to many, many more fun hunts together.

Thats Crazy..... Was that Bull in the pic seen on the first day? It works out like that .......

I just love hunting with the wife along, it IS fun and the best thing to have in common.

Great story, nice pix, and may you have many many more.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast