Thread: Multi Generator

Question Multi Generator

Looking for a good all around generator I could use to power the furnace at home (electric fan part) and the fridge in case of an outage, yet still portable enough to haul to the woods. Any suggestions? How many w/kws do I need?

Leaning toward a Honda or Yamaha, but open to ides.

Thanks!

Looking for a good all around generator I could use to power the furnace at home (electric fan part) and the fridge in case of an outage, yet still portable enough to haul to the woods. Any suggestions? How many w/kws do I need?
    Well I think your choices are good. Honda or yanmar.
    although I have to make some assumptions here...if you need it for the
    fan in your heater...you are talking about mostly winter months.

If you need it for the refridgerator...you only really need it for that in the summer because its cold in the winter and you can do the obvious.

So your needs arent that great...I assume you have like a williams heater that operate with out AC for the fan. The fan won't require much for power but its going to be in a season where photovoltaic isnt going to help alot. You could get a 12 volt fan and keep it charged and/or operate it with a converter.
    All that's left is your refridgerator...unless you also need it for other emergency purposes. I would say the generator idea is probably the easiest and ready to go. Even if you could get all science guy mcgyverish a generator would still be handy to have around.

honda is light and quiet

Oh dang..I totally misread this post but...the points are still valid

Honda 2000eu....we've got over 6000 hrs on ours and it still purrs like a kitten. Light enough to carry with ease and starts pretty good when its 20 below and colder. We run our whole house on it, not including the well pump. It will run my table saw unless ripping more than 1 1/2" deep.

my .02...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Honda 2000eu....we've got over 6000 hrs on ours and it still purrs like a kitten. Light enough to carry with ease and starts pretty good when its 20 below and colder. We run our whole house on it, not including the well pump. It will run my table saw unless ripping more than 1 1/2" deep.

my .02...
    Best place to get one around Anchorage?

Another vote for the honda 2000. It is a great cabin generator. Very quiet and fuel efficient. Small enough and light enough to be very portable. And yes, in the winter when the power has gone out at home, I have run the furnace and fridge off of it. My wellpump is 120v also and not 240v like most and it will run my well as well. Just make sure that the well is the only thing on it when it kicks on! I'm sure Yamaha's new 2000 is just as good. Yamaha's was only 1800 for the longest time and now I see that they bumped them up to 2000 also. I know alot of cabin folks that love their Yami's also but hard to beat the Honda.

Your not going to find a great deal on the Honda...at least I couldnt. Theyre about 950-1000 no matter where you look. i think the honda dealership (hartley motors?), sportsmans warehouse has(or had) them, I think I got ours at the United rentals in palmer.

Good luck, I hope you have as good a luck as we did with ours...

I agree with what ultrarider said on the Yammis, I never had one but they are probably good too, just cost more $/KW from what I've seen.

BTW, we get 9-12 hrs per GALLON of gas with ours when just running lights and TV. My electricity bill is probably as low as alot of folks who're on the grid!!

I have a heck of a deal on an almost brand new EM6500SX Honda.

I've probably have run 3-4 tanks of gas threw this thing, ( looking at 30-40 hrs max) I hate to get rid of it but with the bills piling up it has to go.

Payed $2800.00 for it, will sell it for $2300.00.

This thing will run your whole house and do your laundry at the same time.

Its 3 years old and has been collecting dust for about 3 years, lol.

This thing even comes with a jumper system for starting your truck/car.

It has the electric start, auto throttle for loads and all that happy stuff, great for a backup for home, or power the cabin.

Most of the gen set's out there won't run an air compressior, this one dos'nt even hickup when it starts.

Great deal for someone looking for one.

I know that this qualifys for the trade and sell, so if someone is interested, you have to pay the cost.

My furnace is 220v. My Honda EU2000 is 120v. Good luck! I do like the Honda, just not at home. When my power goes down the biggest inconvenience is losing the well pump. I can put on clothes to stay warm and keep the fridge closed to keep it cold, but no toilet is a problem! Once again....220v!

At least get an electrician to install a generator switch. Save a lineman!

Originally Posted by dkwarthog

my .02...

Is this 6000 hrs w/o an overhaul? That is impressive.I hope my Yamaha lasts that long.

Ok, so a Honda EU2000 is what I have decided on.... My Dad has a EU200iA. I am looking at getting the EU2000iA Companion model. As far as Anchorage goes Sporty's and AK Mining and Diving are the only places I have found Honda Generators. Guessing since these are in such demand, no deals will be had. Any other place worth checking out? Since I won't get much of a break in price, I was hoping to find the place with the best customer service. Any suggestion?

Alaska Specialty Equipment on Brayton between Dimond and Dowling, in the old Alaska Powersports building.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Alaska Specialty Equipment on Brayton between Dimond and Dowling, in the old Alaska Powersports building.
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

Thumbs up

Thanks for mentioning AK Specialty Equipment, Mr. Pid. I stopped in today and purchased a Honda generator. Prices were comparable to other places around town, they service the equipment they sell, friendly service, and they are an upstart Alaskan owned business. What more reason to shop anywhere else??? OK, one more reason...it felt good not to have to give any of my money to AK Mining and Diving, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

Another thumbs up for AK Specialty Equipment. Like others have said they are locally owned and they service what they sell. All my dealings with them have been very positive. They also carry an extensive line of Stihl chainsaws and trimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by matanuska View Post
    Another thumbs up for AK Specialty Equipment. Like others have said they are locally owned and they service what they sell. All my dealings with them have been very positive. They also carry an extensive line of Stihl chainsaws and trimmers.
    I could use one of each!

Default Know how to calculate your Watts

Keep an important thought in mind when using generators:
    Volts X Amps = Watts. Add up all the amp draws of the items you want to power and stay within your generators maximum capacity. Just about every generator rates its output in Watts. So you need to keep your basic math skills handy.

Check out your furnace's tech sheet on the ratings or HP of your fan--- you most likely won't be able to read the motor label as it's usually a Direct-Drive fan, and the motor is inserted INSIDE the fan wheel with a mounting bracket, and short of taking the whole thing apart, you can't get to the label to read it.

Example: if the motor is , say a 3/4 hp , it probably draws approx 8 amps at full load. 8 X 115V = 920. Thus a small 1000W generator would safely power your furnace. Add in a refrigerator, and you'll definately need something larger- usually a minimum of a 2000W unit. Again, check out the ratings on your refrigerator-- refrigeration compressors draw alot of power.

Thanks for the info. My plan was to buy the EU2000i companion this year and see if it is enough. If not then buy the EU2000i next year and be able to use the 2 in unison if the need warranted it. My Dad has the EU2000i so whenever we end up in the same state we would have that option if I did not end up buying the EU2000i. Nice to have options...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Example: if the motor is , say a 3/4 hp , it probably draws approx 8 amps at full load. 8 X 115V = 920. Thus a small 1000W generator would safely power your furnace. Add in a refrigerator, and you'll definately need something larger- usually a minimum of a 2000W unit. Again, check out the ratings on your refrigerator-- refrigeration compressors draw alot of power.
    Also you need to add 30% for startup power. Generators have 2 ratings a peek draw and a constant draw. In this 920 watt example with a 1000w generator example you need 1196 peek watts from the gen-set to start the motor safely. If that gen-set is rated 1000 peek watts it would not start it or burn the fan motor out in time.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Excellent Point

Excellent point, Adfields.
    This is what is known as the Locked-Roter rating. ( amps )
    Poeple looking at their rating plates will see writings such as:
    L.R.A.: 21.6 (amps)
    F.L.A.: 9.6 (amps)

L..R.A. is the initial starting amps necessary to get the rotor turning.
    F.L.A. is the " full load amp" draw of the device.

Most direct drive furnace fans, anymore, are PSC motors ( permanent split capacitor type ) and have a start-capacitor that holds the initial start energy necessary to turn the motor over , thus you don't experience the initial L.R. amp draw on the power supply at each startup. Shaded Pole motors are another story, however

All generators are rated at continuous duty per standards, so I left that part out. But it does have an effect, and knowing about and understanding it is important, especially when working with generators.

Kudos for bringing that up.