Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not buy a wooldridge?

Question Why not buy a wooldridge?

Will I'm getting closer to the "big boat buy" started as and inboard... like the SPACE of a outboard..the ... a 2006 20' "super clean" wooldridge seems like a well built boat.... seen a post on here one time where someone said they would not have one because of the bottem keels.... what u guys think?
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default What model?

I'm on Wooldridge # 2 and it would take quite a bit to make me consider another brand.
    The construction and detail is first rate, designs are proven. Great company to deal with.
    My $.02

Default Sent you a PM

Check your PMs

Default Sent you a PM

Check your PMs. WoolyDriver

Used - Sure

New - No way, ever again. Unless they get another dealer.

One of the guys I moose hunt with owns a 23 foot Sport Drifter that is a few years old. Last year the 90 gallon fuel tank cracked. Wooldridge paid the bill to have the tank pulled, purged, and welded.
    Thats pretty good service in anyones book.
    Love my 23 foot Alaskan but next year I plan on selling it and buying either a 23 or 25 foot Sport Drifter.
    Tennessee

You cannot go wrong with a Wooldridge. Excellent product, great floor layout, tough as nails, drives the way you want it to, customer service is outstanding. Best performing outboard jet boat made. Dealer in Fairbanks (The Boat Shop) is great to work with. Like Yukoner, I'm now on my second (4 foot-itis finally got me) and couldn't be happier. If you want to talk directly/check one out close/etc send me a PM if you're in the Fairbanks area.

I'll give up my Wooldridge when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

Like to add that last year when we were running along about 35 mph to moose camp I hit a couple of submerged stumps so hard it caused the boat to lift up and I thought, oh crap, big damage.
    No leaks and when I put the boat back on the trailer I could not even find a dent in the hull. And the Alaskan only has a 1/8 thick bottom. They are built pretty tough.
    Tennessee

Smile

I have owned my Wooly for 3 years now and am not exactly easy on my equipment and it has yet to let me down. I run it in the ocean, lakes, and rivers including some a little too narrow and shallow for it. I would not think twice about buying a Wooly for an all around Alaskan boat they are the ticket.

Default Wooldridge

I love my 25 ft. Deepwater Plus. If I ever replace it, it will be with another Wooly. Their service has been really good too, but all I've ever done is call them with technical questions, etc. I've never had to deal with Marita's so I can't comment on them. Good luck.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    Will I'm getting closer to the "big boat buy" started as and inboard... like the SPACE of a outboard..the ... a 2006 20' "super clean" wooldridge seems like a well built boat.... seen a post on here one time where someone said they would not have one because of the bottem keels.... what u guys think?

If people have a problem with the woodridge designs.....why do so many folks copy the wooldrige when they build their custom jet boats?? When the time comes for me to buy a big boat........nothing but a wooldridge for this guy. But right now.....I fill the freezer just fine with a freighter canoe. I can go up any water I choose. I can do 67 miles and only burn 5 gallons of gas.....with a moose on board. It just takes a long time to get there......i aint in a hurry though.

But right now.....I fill the freezer just fine with a freighter canoe. I can go up any water I choose. I can do 67 miles and only burn 5 gallons of gas.....with a moose on board. It just takes a long time to get there......i aint in a hurry though.
    Theres a lot to be said for the freighter canoe method
    Man, i can only dream about burning 5 gallons over 67 miles. I'm actually heading out for a week long Stone Sheep hunt in about 20 minutes, just waiting for my buddy to show up. 220 mile round trip up/down river. Taking full tank (136 Liters) plus another 250. Oh well, you can't even fly to where we' are headed, so you just have to suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    You cannot go wrong with a Wooldridge. Excellent product, great floor layout, tough as nails, drives the way you want it to, customer service is outstanding. Best performing outboard jet boat made. Dealer in Fairbanks (The Boat Shop) is great to work with. Like Yukoner, I'm now on my second (4 foot-itis finally got me) and couldn't be happier. If you want to talk directly/check one out close/etc send me a PM if you're in the Fairbanks area.

I'll give up my Wooldridge when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

I just want to add that I have never done any business with The Boat Shop. I hear good (if not great) things about them all the time. I wish that they were the local dealer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    seen a post on here one time where someone said they would not have one because of the bottem keels.... what u guys think?
    What did the post say about the keels? I have never heard anything bad about the bottoms of Woolys, they are built like tanks! The only issue I have seen anyone have is with some of the butt welds on the stringers and such cracking on some models but Wooldridge has updated the design by adding a triangular gusset at the weld joint and they have also paid to have this repaired on Woolys here in Alaska.

I have a 93 Wooley 20' Xtra plus. Still a great boat. I have bounced off more rocks than I care to mention, hauled more fish and with all the back seats out I can haul 4 bous or 2 moose.

I use it in rivers and in PWS. I have had the swing window bracket crack (crashing waves) and I have have had the inside of the tunnel crack (well the rock I hit cracked it). Everytime Glen has paid for the repairs.

I have repowered and now have a 2005 Evinrude 250 with a pump and still love'in it.

As far as dealers, if you are not happy with the dealer, call Glen in Seattle and believe me the dealer will get a very not so nice call.

Great boat/rock bouncer!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Wooldridge

Can't go wrong with a Wooldridge, they build it like you want every boat can be custom built to your liking. The base model is just a start, I have ran one since I was 16. I still see our first one around, this one, blue top, our 2nd is 20 years old, with over 2500 hrs on it and still running the rivers every weekend.

The boat has made 11 trips to the Koyukuk, hauled what ever we put in it, from Homer to Huselia it has seen it all. Great people to work with, call the factory, you talk with Glen Wooldridge him self or Grant no sales guys. I currently have a Super Sport Drifter

This one has more features that I like than my old Sport Drifter had,
    They keep building them better every year.

Default An answer to the keel question?

The keel on my 2000 Sport is an 90=degree angle member welded on like an upside triangle that extends 1.5 inches downward along the entire bottom centerline except near the tunnel. This results in great tracking when on step and helps avoid sliding in curves. However, it also results in the absolute bottom of the boat being deeper into the water and more likely to hit something or drag bottom.

Whereas a "delta pad" type hull configuration is basically flat for about 18 inches of width along the back 2/3 of the centerline. If you get rid of the keel from my Wooldridge, then it would basically would be a "delta pad" design.

My keel traps water inside the angle iron (not inside the hull) as evidenced by ruining the Slip Plate bottom paint where the water drips out from a gap (crack?) in a weld seem along the keel when it is on the trailer after use.

I also think the Wooldridge keel would make getting the boat un-stuck more difficult because the keel will dig into the bottom or dig into and break rollers (Pipe, logs etc.... that were placed across the bottom of the boat. The keel would also make it more difficult to pivot the boat around by pulling on it with a bow or stern line with a winch when grounded.

The windshield design on mine is nice because I love the full walk-around and the big wide door, but it is definitely no fun for the front passenger if you run with the windshield open...........

Still don't understand why all their boats don't come standard with some sort of decent fish box ????

I think they all have that piece of angle Al on them, at least my old Ak did, and like your Sport, so does my new 17' Sport.
    I like the idea of it being there. Its pretty burly, and hopefully would take the hit better than the plate.
    Interestingly, i just got back from my first big trip with the Sport. Went 80 miles up a pretty small river sheep hunting. Took a bad channel a couple of times, and the only part that kissed the gravel was that keel. I'm talking 2-4" of water, and my old Ak would have touched too.
    Really happy with the Sport. Even the 17' model handles a big load. It will be amazing once i put a 150 on it, even though the 115 Yammy does pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great Boat

here are a few of my "old Wooly"
    Attached Images Attached Images

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    The keel on my 2000 Sport is an 90=degree angle member welded on like an upside triangle that extends 1.5 inches downward along the entire bottom centerline except near the tunnel. This results in great tracking when on step and helps avoid sliding in curves. However, it also results in the absolute bottom of the boat being deeper into the water and more likely to hit something or drag bottom.

Whereas a "delta pad" type hull configuration is basically flat for about 18 inches of width along the back 2/3 of the centerline. If you get rid of the keel from my Wooldridge, then it would basically would be a "delta pad" design.

My keel traps water inside the angle iron (not inside the hull) as evidenced by ruining the Slip Plate bottom paint where the water drips out from a gap (crack?) in a weld seem along the keel when it is on the trailer after use.

I also think the Wooldridge keel would make getting the boat un-stuck more difficult because the keel will dig into the bottom or dig into and break rollers (Pipe, logs etc.... that were placed across the bottom of the boat. The keel would also make it more difficult to pivot the boat around by pulling on it with a bow or stern line with a winch when grounded.

The windshield design on mine is nice because I love the full walk-around and the big wide door, but it is definitely no fun for the front passenger if you run with the windshield open...........

Still don't understand why all their boats don't come standard with some sort of decent fish box ????

I know my Sportstour has the same keel design and yes it does make it harder to get unstuck but I believe that is why it turns so well and tracks straight I also know it can take a hit without any issues so I will gladly keep it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast