Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mix oil for 200 optimax?

Default Mix oil for 200 optimax?

Hey guy's...I bought a sportjon with a 200 optimax, what mix oil do you optimax guys use? do I need to use the high dollar Mercury or Quicksilver? and where is the best place to buy it?......THX

Good question. I have only used the syn DI oil and it is pricey. My owners manual says it is ok to use any TCW3 oil if DI oil can't be found. My friend has a 135 Opti and the only oil he uses is the TCW3. Some people report they foul plugs pretty easy with TCW3 oil.

If I used my boat for local trips I would give TCW3 oil a try. But since we are out in the boonies moose hunting in it I stick with the DI oil.
    Tennessee

THX Randy, I have a friend who uses cheap walmart mix oil for years w/o any trouble! but that is a little risky to me when your 200 miles from any road!

Where is the best place to buy the recommended DFI oil? What dose it cost per gallon?

THX
    Dave

Message sent to both. Please read and consider.

I was at Compeau's the other day and asked the same question. They sold me Yamalube; 2 gallons is $76

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    I was at Compeau's the other day and asked the same question. They sold me Yamalube; 2 gallons is $76
    That's getting pretty close to double..........pm sent.....I can even work things out to FBX

Default oil

I never once bought Compeau's overpriced oil, just used whatever was handy as long as it was TCW3, 3 summers 160 hours no problems. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    I never once bought Compeau's overpriced oil, just used whatever was handy as long as it was TCW3, 3 summers 160 hours no problems. My $.02.
    160 hours in 3 summers is very minimal use. I ran 140 hours in the 18 days I spent Valdez. My average year is 500+ hours on the water.

The big differances between modern syns and dino oils is their effects on the enviroment. Some of the modern synthetics have no petrolum base and are not near as harmful to the enviroment as the petrol base oils.

Default I run the 175

and only use the mercury quicksilver. Thought about going synthetic and probably would if I have the 200.

Plan on trying the Synthetic Amsoil and just ordered 8 gallons from Dupont Spinner. My 200 Optimax ran flawlessly up and down the rivers for moose hunting (57 hours on motor for the Koyukuk trip) last year using the Mercury syn DI oil.
    Will post an unbiased report upon my return. I admit of always being leery of using Amsoil in the past but it is worth a try.
    Tennessee

I've been running the yamalube, but the price is pretty annoying.

You guy realize if you motor is under warranty and your not useing there oil and you have motor problems. It's not covered just my thoughts use what you want....

No manufactor can require you to use there own specific oil unless they furnish it for free. They can however require you to use a specific grade of oil.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You guy realize if you motor is under warranty and your not useing there oil and you have motor problems. It's not covered just my thoughts use what you want....
    BullPUCKY.....can't not be denied warrenty as long as the oils meet the same specifications as the oil recommneded. I don't want a legal discussion nor do I want a huge oil debate. A TCW 3 is a TCW 3.

Anyone interested in learning more PM me.

Those that have made the switch please post your results. I only ask you be honest. If you have a million hours and make the switch and your engine blows up let's not accuse the oil til proven. If you use 1 gallon and do not see a change make sure you are running enough to completely change over.

I have been using it since the late '70's and I have never been able to contribute a engine failure to an oil issue. I burned down 2 snowmachine motors. Burned thru the pistons(way way lean). Cleaned out the block, put new pistons/rings in and ran it without issue(once I fixed the lean issue).

It took me a long time to convince my Dad to quit using mineral oil and Castrol oil way back when. So give it an honest try they were the 1st in syn and are the oldest manufacturer of pure syn oil (no petrolum base stock in most oils made).

Anybody running an E-Tec outboard? What does Evinrude say about full synthetic oil? SkiDoo prohibits full synthetic in E-Tec snogo engines and makes you sign an acknowledgment that you understand it. For that I use what the dealer sells. No big deal since the E-Tec barely uses any oil.

Aside from my E-Tecs, I use Amzoil in everything I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Anybody running an E-Tec outboard? What does Evinrude say about full synthetic oil? SkiDoo prohibits full synthetic in E-Tec snogo engines and makes you sign an acknowledgment that you understand it. For that I use what the dealer sells. No big deal since the E-Tec barely uses any oil.

Who made you sign that???? They are forcing you to use something. So what do you do when you run out??......and it does happen.

I have insider info and will tell you that you are incorrect about the use of full syn and ETEC in Sno go's and Bombardier products and the use of synthetics.

The dealership has you sign the acknowledgment at purchase. They don't tell you whose oil to use, just that it needs to be petroleum based or a blend.

I'd guess there are guys who run synthetic in E-tecs. I don't. I run it in everything else, though.

Anybody running an Evinrude E-tec? What's the oil recommendation?

Anybody running an E-Tec outboard? What does Evinrude say about full synthetic oil?
    Aside from my E-Tecs, I use AmSoil in everything I own.
    Evinrude XD-50 and XD-100 are both full syn oils.....

Well I did a double check with an expert and for sure, absolutely beyond a doubt snogo ETEC's are suppose to be full synthetic only.

The person I spoke with is also looking into the letter you had to sign. They are not happy with that.

No offense, but your expert must not get out much. The factory's preference for blended oil in Etec snowgos is no secret. In any event I'm really not too concerned with proving anything to you. I have a couple of Etecs and they run great on the blended oil I was advised to use. That's good enough for me.

I'd still like to hear what an Etec outboard owner says. I'm curious whether the same oil is recommended. I don't know much about Etec technology but I sure am impressed with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast