Thread: Ranger owners

Default Ranger owners

What spare parts do you take on long trips?

I have an extra belt, tire repair kit, 12v air pump, service manual and a jack.

What are some other spare parts that could be useful in the field??

BTW found a service manual for the '09 xp in pdf format.. Can pm you a link if interested.

Spare tire on rim, belt, Air compressor, tire plug kit, Hi-Lift jack. Small hand tools(3/8 socket set, wrenches up to 3/4, 2 crescents, pliers, screwdrivers etc...enough to remove panels and drain belt housing if needed. Electrical connectors..thats about it.

I've crossed water at/just below the bottom of the bed, never got the belt wet..do THAT in an ATV.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A set of jumper cables. Actually mine are small homemade ones so they stow very easy. It will take a few minutes to charge about a battery enough to start rather than an instant start, but will start it none the less. You can not push or pull start a polaris and there is no rope start. Lose a battery and you are dead in the water! That imo is the biggest down fall of the snowmachine clutch setup on the atv's, not being able to drag one to start them.

when i had my ranger my batt. froze and would not start the machine. solution= remove belt cover and tie rope around drive clutch and pull. it 2 attempts and fired right up, just be super carefull reinstalling the belt cover. my rhino has a piece of rope in the kit for just such an instance.

make sure you have the proper tools to do your intended repairs. go thru your machine and find out what is required to do the job then make your own tool kit.i carry 2 spare fuel filters with me, spare belt, compressor, plug kit for tires, tarp, shelter, zip ties (the good thomas and betts kind), duct tape, ratchet strap, mechanice wire, hose clamps, jb weld, its amazing how many times my stuff has helped someone else on the trail, if your in need on the trail i'll be glad to help.

it's a Polaris, might as well just bring along a spare Ranger...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the replies. Tis my first time on a long haul with a utv. Had my trusty Honda fourtrax 300 for 13 years and never had a problem.

Reminds me of owning my first '75 Chevy Beau James Special for years then buying a new 1998 truck. So many more things to go wrong or break

Taking the stock front tire/wheel as back-up.
    Don't tell the wife but used the excuse to make a new toolbox. All craftsman

Also snagged the jumper cables from the kids watercraft.
    If I was heading out alone an upgrade to dual Odyssey batteries would be in order.

TJM I really hope you are wrong!! but yah I'm sweating leaving behind my mighty red fourtrax because of that reason..Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    TJM I really hope you are wrong!!
    im just kidding around...i own a 6x6 ranger and like it for the utility...i've just never been a fan of polaris...in all honesty it is dependable and i take my family out very regularly....i've owned it for a year now, 1000+ miles, 150+ hours, no issues yet <knock on wood>...

as far as spare parts/tools go, I am pretty bad at that...I bring almost nothing with me short of some duct tape, pliers, and compressor....I need to put something together or I'm going to get burned one of these days, only a matter of time...

in addition to tools, don't forget to pack extraction devices with you..I don't skimp here and have used most of what I bring at one point or another..for example, anchor, duckbill anchor, lots of extra rope (i carry 300+' and have had to use it ), shovel, metal (Al) grating, jack, chainsaw, etc....there is a story behind each of these items...

I got stuck one time last july and 2 other 4 wheelers couldn't even budge me...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    it's a Polaris, might as well just bring along a spare Ranger...
    Hey now...the KQ had to drain the belt housing over the weekend..ranger kept on truckin LOL, the hairs on my ass did grab the seat coming out of the area you and WG went into last year.

I dont care what people say..A ranger with good skid gear, 27's and the right driver will go anywhere.

Dont listen to TJM, he spent more time being drug over rocks or gettin stuck in my ruts
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Dont listen to TJM, he spent more time being drug over rocks or gettin stuck in my ruts
    im trying to think of something witty in response.....stand by...
    pull my finger....

im trying to think of something witty in response.....stand by...
    Ever make anythin out of those video shots? I'll be out with my video this week. If I get anythin good I'll be callin for some help to edit/add music.

I was recently called an Eco-Terrorist Submariner.

Default Exta

Any beer?

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post

Any beer?
    Yes.. Have to have something to do with my other hand while driving

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Yes.. Have to have something to do with my other hand while driving
    I do like the cup holder design on the '09. Mine blew out last summer, now on occasion I have to pull the dash apart and fish out the cans that fall thru.

Don't forget 2 oil filters, filter wrench, and 4 quarts of oil. When I am going to be crossing a lot of water I will throw these items in also. HEET and Iso-HEET is also handy to have in the kit. Spare spark plugs too.

As a side note I made up a few more tie down points using a suggestion at the prc forum. LINK

Seems Central plumbing carries the exact plugs used in that link.

Instead of cutting a piece of all-thread for the extension I picked up a few union nuts and connected the 5" eye bolt to the existing expansion plug bolt. Was handy that both were 3/8" Also used lower profile wing nuts than shown.

Kicking myself for not snapping a pic.

With the union nut connecting the lower and upper plug it is easy to remove the eye bolt and place any 3/8" bolt to hold down anything. Toolbox, cheap basketball goal to hold 5-gallon buckets and kegs, etc..

All said and done it was $12 per tie-down. I didn't shop around for cheaper hardware. Pretty much a straight run through SBS and Central.

Polaris dealer sells the same concept for $27ish.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Don't forget 2 oil filters, filter wrench, and 4 quarts of oil. When I am going to be crossing a lot of water I will throw these items in also. HEET and Iso-HEET is also handy to have in the kit. Spare spark plugs too.
    Thanks for that.. was on the edge about needing to take filter and a change of oil. Going to be some creative packing. Was going to take a bullet style smoker for some fresh pulled pork but i'm out of room

Default Tie Downs

These are a great little addition to the Ranger, I built these for about $9 each. Got everything at Home Depot except for the rubber. I picked it up at Alaska Rubber, its a 1" thick by about 1 sq foot and I used a hole bit and drilled them out. They work really well, the tie downs in the bed are useless when it is loaded full with gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a good tie down system for the bed is to snake a rope through the bed holes....just tie it off on one end then up one hole and down the other and up the other, and so on....reverse the threading and be sure to tie it off tight...then you'll have tie off points between each hole all the way down the bed on both sides....rope is completely out of the way when not in use....works very well and can't think of a cheaper way to get it done....
    pull my finger....

a good tie down system for the bed is to snake a rope through the bed holes....just tie it off on one end then up one hole and down the other and up the other, and so on....reverse the threading and be sure to tie it off tight...then you'll have tie off points between each hole all the way down the bed on both sides....rope is completely out of the way when not in use....works very well and can't think of a cheaper way to get it done....

Pffffftt... Why be simple when complex can work?