Thread: Federal Premium Ammo- Crappy Factory Loads

Default Federal Premium Ammo- Crappy Factory Loads

So as I was departing this weekend, WG had my .338 in hand and noticed some oddities with the cartridges I had in my buttstock shellholder - the bullets weren't seated into the casing properly. This was a fresh box of Federal Premiums, .338, 225gr TSX.

Yesterday I had a chance to inspect the the entire box, I found 11 to be poorly seated in the casing. 1 of which I was able to slip out about 1/8 of an inch.

What level of danger would this pose? Obviously one could assume an unknown amount of chamber pressure can result in this. I chose not to shoot them.

I picked these up at a good price from SW about 6-8 weeks ago, no one else had what I wanted. I spoke to the CS dept in Wasilla, I told them I knew ammo sales were final but due to their policy of not opening boxes of ammo, any issues would be unknown to me until I needed them, they gladly accepted them back with a full refund, no questions asked - Kudos to them.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Call Federal.
    They are the ones you want to talk to any way.
    Hopefully they will replace or give you your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    Call Federal.
    He said he got his money.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    Call Federal.
    \

Full refund from Sportsmans.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

One problem is keeping the power dry & If they were that loose, the bullets would have got pushed back into the case from the recoil, while in the magazine box.

Interesting thread. I have had issues with federal before. I have had inconsistent powder charges with their 375 H&H loads. Their parent company ATK is no pleasure to work with when you have a question. I called 3 times got 3 different answers to the same question.

Ron

I got full resolution from SW, way beyond my expectations. I was just curious as to any hazards. I know chambering would reseat it due to head spacing. Regardless, I felt awkward being able to shake the cartridge up and down and watch the bullet walk in and out of the case.

Maybe there are some problems, but I have always had great luck with Fed. Premium ammo. May dad and I both get 3-shot groups that touch or almost touch at 100 yards with Fed. Premium 180-gr TSX 300 Win. Mag. loads in my 20-yr-old 700 BDL (until the barrel gets hot and the groups open up).

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I got full resolution from SW, way beyond my expectations. I was just curious as to any hazards. I know chambering would reseat it due to head spacing. Regardless, I felt awkward being able to shake the cartridge up and down and watch the bullet walk in and out of the case.
    I'm assuming your 338 is a 338WM. If so there is no head space issue at all since it is measured between the belt and bolt face. If your ammo would have chambered then it would have fired. It's a bummer that you had a bad set, glad they refunded your money.

I've had good luck with Federal ammo in the past. My only issue with factory Federal is the $84.00 per box price for 375 H&H and 300RUM.

Hopefully someone along the way reports the batch number to Federal so they can attempt to resolve their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm assuming your 338 is a 338WM. If so there is no head space issue at all since it is measured between the belt and bolt face. If your ammo would have chambered then it would have fired.
    Guess my wording was off. Chambering the round would have re-seated it into the case all the way, and yes 338WM

Default not good

Bullets that slip easily in and out of a case are not safe to shoot. You could have pressure problems or a blow by causing a sticker in the tube, which is a very dangerous condition, not to mention rendering your rifle unusable until the bullet is removed and the barrel inspected for damage. I spent over 20 years in the Army, Artillery and saw 4 stickers in howitzers, we had to have the tubes inspected and cleared before firing another round each time and opening the breech is dangerous because of the high pressure hot gasses trapped in the bore behind a stuck bullet. You did the right thing and took it back, and SW did the right thing by taking it back. They should contact Federal about QC issues.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~