Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ds170/175

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Ds170/175

    I'm hunting DS 170/175 Area (second season) wondering if anyone out there has hunted it in the past and has any tips to pass on, particularly means of access and recommended drainages. Thanks

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default More Specifics

    Thought I would add some more information. This is the Metal Creek/Grasshopper/Marcus Baker area. I can get there via cub, boat or 4WD. I Have not (for several reasons) gotten to do scouting that I had hoped to do. This is my father's tag and I am looking for any information that can help tip the scales in our favor.

  3. #3
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    I have hunted this area several times and know of numerous fellow hunters who have also frequented this area before it went to drawing only. There is no reasonable boat or 4WD access that I know of - super cub is the only way that I know of. There are some big sheep in Metal Creek from time to time and I know of one ram shot on top of Marcus Baker that exceeds the Swank ram....but is ineligible for entry into the record books. The best way into Metal Creek is from Grasshopper over one of the "passes". Metal Creek itself is terrible country to travel about in. Also might want to get a goat tag since there are goats in Metal Creek. You stand the best chance of success in my opinion in Grasshopper. Good luck.

    P.S. Metal Creek can also be accessed from the head waters of the north fork of Friday Creek

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default Ds 170

    I hunted this year, PM me for more details

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Will post results.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'd love to hear results...pm or posted!

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Success

    Thanks to all who replied to my request for info. We used every shred of it. This hunt was for my father who drew the non-resident tag for this area. He is over 60 and this is his first ram.

    With that said I'll preempt some of the hate mail I'm sure to get on this. No the ram is not full curl by any of the definitions, but this was an any ram hunt. ADFG aged him at 7 and he was classified by them as 7/8 to full. By most anyones standards he is a trophy He measured 35" and had 14" bases. We green scored it at 147 3/8 B&C. In a few years he would have been an absolute monster. However, I do not think that he would have made it past this winter. While glassing we noticed that he had a pronounced limp that made it difficult for him to negotiate the terrain. After taking him we discovered that it was due to a split hoof that had grown into a 4" long talon.

    Again thanks to all, hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8

    Wink

    Good for your Dad.

    For the next guy that asks all the same questions:
    Fly in?
    Which strip did you use?
    How far pack?
    Etc, etc, etc.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •