Thread: First Moose with a Bow

Default First Moose with a Bow

Here are some pictures of the moose I shot. He measured 47" with 3 brow tines on each side. I shot him at 11 yards. He ran 20 yards and dropped dead. This is my first moose I have gotten with a bow what a great feeling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

congrats man....glad someone got him.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Nice Job! Nothing like that first bow kill... Although, I haven't killed a moose with a bow but a lot of other critters..

Oh and I will PM you my address so you know were to send the roast and steaks

Thumbs up

Nice job they sure look cool still in velvet!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    congrats man....glad someone got him.......
    tjm, cant be 100% sure from the pics, but was that the one in your yard????

Great job! Wow, that bow with alumunum arrows....couldn't possibly have killed a moose with something that old....kinda makes you think twice about the insatiable appetite for new and 'improved' gear...

I am truly envious...

T--lets get a pic up on this thread of that bugger hanging around your place teasin' ya...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    G
    T--lets get a pic up on this thread of that bugger hanging around your place teasin' ya...
    I don't think there's any more teasin...this thread IS the same bull.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Aleutianhunter-1
    tjm-0

Smile First Moose

Way to go! Where's the long story to go with it??? Are these other guys insinuating that it was a "yard bull?" Thanks for sharing with us. Good to see success.

M

Default very NICE

Can't wait to follow in your footsteps. As Paul Harvey would say.........."We need the rest of the story"........

Loved the tricked out camo,scent blocker. A whole 11 yards kinda makes the threat on 180gr or 220 gr and being able to shoot moose at four hundred yards sound silly. Congrats now get to butchering

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Aleutianhunter-1
    tjm-0

...lol....

i've been out every night of the archery season and only one night I didn't see bulls....all the legal ones didn't want anything to do with me but the 2x2's ect let me walk right up to them ....enough of the archery for me this year, tuesday the .300 coming out of the closet.....
    pull my finger....

Default The rest of the story on my first bow moose kill.

I will try to tell the story as it happened. First on the morning of the 10th my sons and I went bow hunting early in the morning and saw nothing but cows, and ended up pulling a person out of the creek. By mid day it was too warm and the bugs were out in full force. So we headed back to the house. A friend was in the process of moving, so we headed over to help him pack up the container van. It was about 6:30 when my daughter came out and asked if we were going hunting in the morning? I had to let her know that there was too much going on tomorrow and we would not be able to make it hunting. I no sooner got the words out of my mouth when my buddy said "there is a moose!" It was working its way thru the trees by the back of his yard. I saw the moose and it pickup it's head and I saw the 3 brow tines. I went nuts to say the least. I did not have my own bow with me (in fact I was in my shorts and sandals!) so I asked my friend "where is your bow" - I had seen it hanging in the garage. As I pulled it down, he said the bow has not been shot in 3 years. I realized the bow had 2 broadheads and a practice tip, so I went around back and shot the bow a couple of times - it was dead on. I calmed myself down and worked my way to 20 yards, then the moose stepped behind a bunch of trees and brush, so I moved in at about 11 yards. When the moose stepped out from behind the trees I was at full draw, I let fly and the arrow hit the sweet spot, double lung shot. The bull went about 20 yards and fell over dead. It was so cool because the whole gang (even my wife who never goes bow hunting) got to watch the whole thing from the corner of the garage. It took about 3-4 hours to take care of the bull. Got lots of meat and my freezer is full. I have been bow hunting for 25 years and I know that not all hunting is as easy as this was, however, I will take the easy ones when I can. TJM sorry however, I was in the right place at the right time.

Talking

Well done!! How was the pack out?

Congratulations!!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Aleutianhunter View Post
    TJM sorry however, I was in the right place at the right time.
    yes you were...no worries as that's how I've got all my moose, right place at the right time...congrats to you...also pretty cool the the whole family was able to watch it unfold....
    pull my finger....

Default Gee you killed...

someone's pet moose! :P

I can't believe you actually went out back to "practice" to shot the bow (good on ya though, to check zero)...& was still able to get that bull. WOW!

Thumbs up Only in Alaska

Only in Alaska could this story get told and be true! I keep trying to get our moose to close the garage door behind them but they donít seem to be too trainable at that old age. Bet youíre looking forward to some grilling
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

That is one cool story. Congratulations!

Wouldn't that be something if you could have caught the whole thing on video and posted it on Youtube?! The outrage would be hilarious!

Probably better on the down-low...

I think you're done rifle-hunting moose, though.

Taylor

-[]------->