Thread: Spotting scopes for sheep

Default Spotting scopes for sheep

I've been borrowing a Nikon pro for a couple years while I buy other gear. Next year I will get my scope. Any recommendations for one less than $1500.

Take a look at the Pentax ones on cameralandnewyork, well priced and have had great reviews. I have a Swarvo and love it but they are a little over $1500. I think Snyd on here has a Pentax and did a couple threads on it.

Look at the Demo list at CameralandNY. Excellent company to deal with, and good prices. In your price range, I'd look at the Leica Televid 62 and the Zeiss Diascope 65. I have the 85mm version of the Zeiss and love it, but most probably consider it too big for a sheep scope. I'm still young and dumb, though.

+1 on the demo list at CameraLand (site spoonsor), also check out www.samplelist.com.

As for what scope to get, you'll get the whole, "get the best scope money can buy" thing eventually. I really like the Nikon products. They are REALLY close to the good scopes, but much cheaper. I have a Nikon Fieldscope 60mm and love it. I was really tempted to get the smaller one, I think it is a 50mm scope, but ended up getting this one. Mine weighs 2.8#, which I think is a bit on the heavy side. The smaller one weighs 1#, but only goes up to 30x on the zoom. I decided I'd rather pack a little extra weight in exchange for twice the zoom capability.

Every so often a good scope will come up on craigslist or this site, so if you aren't in a hurry you can be patient and possibly find a good deal. Also, I have noticed over the last few years that there are quite a few items like this just after hunting season.

Good luck,
    Richard

Default I bought a Leica

televid 62 from Doug at cameraland a couple of years back. Excellent deal and excellent piece of glass.

Smile

I have a leica televid 62 im selling since i got my big ol swaro 80 mm. If any one intereasted im selling the leica.

Default My question would be...

How did you like the Nikon you were borrowing? If you liked it, then there is your answer...

If you aren't ready to throw down for a Leica or Swarovski then the Kowa is a great quality for price scope. Very light weight with good quality glass. The TSN 601 or 602 (I think?) is very light weight, compact, and very clear!!

Brett