Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Byer's Creek access?

  1. #1
    Member Diesel Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    354

    Default Byer's Creek access?

    Years back I used to stop and fish/hunt the small access road just south of Byer's Creek. Last fall when I drove past for the first time since returning to the state, I noticed it was gated shut, so I figured someone must have bought all the land. Naturally I was a little bummed as I had a lot of good memories from the place, but time marches on and I put it out of my mind. Until this weekend anyway... Passing by north and southbound I saw two different groups of vehicles (5 cars total) parked outside the gate. I never saw a "No Trespassing" sign or anything, but figured the gate was deterrent enough. I'd love to fish there again, and it was also a perfect spot to stop and catch a nap without being right on the side of the highway. Does anybody know the status of the property?

    Thanks,

    Adam

  2. #2
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    The land was purchased by a developer quite some time ago and subdivided. There are a fair number of cabins back there now. The general consensus seems to be that you are okay parking outside the gate and walking in. If you happen to be there when the gate is open, drive in, and park you may have a less favorable experience. Hardly worth going there now that the development has occurred.

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    It's a subdivision, but I don't know if the roads are public or not. I've never had an issue walking through.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Its an illegal gate according to the MSB.

    http://frontiersman.com/articles/200...2883822948.txt

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FAI
    Posts
    2,294

    Default pull the gate down.

    Assuming the article is correct, the gate needs to come down before the borough hears any other motion for a change. The guy did wrong. Now he wants to use that as a basis for change.
    Not sure about fishing, but if one person hinders another persons ability to hunt or hinders there chance to harvest game, that is unlawful. I would think the same thing applies for fishing. Any input?
    The guy seems to be going way to far to be considered reasonable. I vote to have the gate removed and signs put up indicating it is public access.

  6. #6

    Wink

    Lots of Bears and lots of Rainbow Trout in the creek. Seems like it would be a real good idea to test the state laws concerning Harassment of Lawful Hunters/Fishermen.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I know Julie, and I know the fish guide. I really think that this is a case that the fish guide was told one thing and that he didn't know the other side of the story. You would have probably done the same thing if you obtained permission from a property owner. I imagine that the whole thing will be sorted out in short order.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8

    Default

    Anybody go by there anymore? Is the gate still up? Anyway to get to the confluence without walking the creek all the way from the bridge?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •