Thread: Driving south with Freezer full of meat

Default Driving south with Freezer full of meat

Anyone know the border crossing rules both Canadian and US? I'm heading to Spokane WA with a freezer full of halibut, salmon, clams, moose, some beef and pork etc... What can I expect from the Canucks?

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz_ View Post
    Anyone know the border crossing rules both Canadian and US? I'm heading to Spokane WA with a freezer full of halibut, salmon, clams, moose, some beef and pork etc... What can I expect from the Canucks?

Thanks
    Garlic, butter, onions, several large grills.. a bag of onions... and lots of corn on the cob.......

honestly .. i have several friends that drive up every year and fill the freezer in teh motor home... and haul it home.. never have heard of any issues... "i BELEIVE"
    the key is it ALL must be PROCESSED.. and FULLY frozen..

but to be safe give the border customs a call...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default To cya

I would stop at the border before entering Canada and talk with them. You may need a Certificate of Origination showing the meat came from AK.
    I had a Moose trip in BC and was stopped by US Border Patrol with a Moose that I had taken. The outfitter was supposed to give me a filled out form stating I had taken the Moose in Canada.
    I had all my licenses and other paperwork showing I did hunt legally in Canada so they let me slide, but did tell me the could have confiscated the meat. I went through there above Spokane and they were hunters. You might not be so lucky and could have a few hours of explaining to do.
    You might find some info here. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...assbagmail.pdf
    Or somewhere else on USDA site.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I'm not sure in your situation, but I know that for the last few years even mushers driving up to AK for Iditarod and Quest with dog food had it confiscated due to the meat content. This probably is apples to oranges, but I think it would be good to call and check ahead of time. ..

I took two large freezers full of white tail venison through canada on my way to Alaska a few years ago with no problems. I researched it and the only restriction I found was that the meat had to be for personal use, not for sale.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine