Thread: tiny cysts in coho fillets

Default tiny cysts in coho fillets

Last weekend I caught and cleaned some silvers up along the Parks and noticed that in two of the fish there there were several small (no greater than 1/8" diameter) white cysts embedded in the meat. I could feel some of them thru the skin side. Has anyone seen these before? Any idea what they are? I assume they are safe as long as I cook the fish well????? Sorry I didnt think to take any pics at the time.

Thanks for any input,
    Jason

they're ovarian cysts; common
    mom gets them all the time

i used to see them a lot on the silvers on the karluk river, kodiak island. i have seen them a couple of times in prince william sound, but only about one in a hundred silvers. in karluk the fish with them would come in groups, and not every year. don't know what they are but not very appetizing in appearence.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Has anyone seen these before? Any idea what they are? I assume they are safe as long as I cook the fish well?????
    Jason
    Yep, seen them in every salmon caught. Some are worse than others though, all have them. Just more protein. You assume correctly, grill and enjoy.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yeah, one of the Silvers I caught on Sunshine creek two weeks back had them on there, I though it might have been something in the mud, did it look something like this?

Fish On!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

That seems to be similar to what I saw, only not quite so many.

Kinda weird, there was a local guy up there that claimed he was a biologist for somethin like 20 years and had never seen anything like that before so I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the input and oh yeah, rip some lip.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Yeah, one of the Silvers I caught on Sunshine creek two weeks back had them on there, I though it might have been something in the mud, did it look something like this?

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post

Fish On!
    The pic you posted shows a coho inflicted with scale-pocket disease or "salmon pox". Strictly a harmless cutaneous parasitic infection caused by Myxobolus squamalis.... meat is unaffected.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=96652
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The pic you posted shows a coho inflicted with scale-pocket disease or "salmon pox". Strictly a harmless cutaneous parasitic infection caused by Myxobolus squamalis.... meat is unaffected.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=96652
    I've seen this "acne" on out going Coho smolt while doing coded wire tagging. Seems to be only on Coho's. Never have seen this on any other salmon. Your call on edibility.

ive seen several of these in seward, i normally throw them back i wouldn't eat it

Yeah it's to bad I didn't notice the "acne" until I started filleting the fish, or I probably would have let it go. No harm, no foul, the meat looked unaffected and I'm sure it will BBQ up just great...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Isn't he talking about fish with little white lumps in the meat?
    I have seen silvers with white lumps in the meat. I believe it is caused by parasites.
    May be a little gross but if cooked they won't hurt you.

Question Yuk

I must be lucky because I have never caught or seen a fish looking like that. Is this becoming more common?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Yes, I was talking about the white lumps in the meat, but I could feel/see a couple from the skin side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I have seen silvers with white lumps in the meat. I believe it is caused by parasites.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Yes he was. But that don't seem to stop the speculation does it.

ALL SALMON HAVE PARASITES. Some more than others. When they get real bad, it looks real bad. Just cook them good and all is well, as you stated.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~