Thread: Building a Shooting Range as a School Project?

Default Building a Shooting Range as a School Project?

Hello my name is Andy Stone and I'm the shop teacher in Tuluksak (town of 500 in the bush, 50 miles up river from Bethel). One of the projects we are looking at doing this fall with my 7th/8th grade hunter safety/ survival skills is building a shooting range.

The Plan:

Build a rage 50'x100 yards on tribal land with 10, 25, maybe 50, and 100 yard targets. My students will build the fence, target holders, shooting benches, a 6'x16' shelter and then figure out a way to get some dirt work done for a couple berms. The social studies class will work on site layout and the english class will work on researching and posting rules/ signage.

Has anyone done a project like this? Do you have any advice on how to make it work? How have you handled liability insurance? We are looking into an NRA range grant but we have all of the lumber and are working at figuring out a way to get dirt work for free or the cost of diesel.

We'll also be offering hunter safety and teaching some survival skills as part of of the class.

Thanks for any help,
    Andy Stone

Well good on ya Andy!!

Never heard of anything like it but I believe gun safety should be required in every school. It just makes since to teach kids not to fear guns but to respect them and understand the inherent danger.

I do have a though that may help, NRA has some insurance companies they work with and may well be able to point you to a good deal.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

In the early 90's we had to pull the bullet traps and remove the target 22's from the high school after thirty years of use because of the firearms on school grounds law. Many years earlyer the feds had given us land and the NRA had help with the range. Its a good program and should move pretty fast once the paper work is in.

Thanks for the support. I'll give the NRA a call in a bit. I'm supposed to meet with the tribe today at 4 to work the details out.

We are planning on building the range on tribal land which should a loop hole about the guns in school issue. Once the project gets going I'll get some pictures up. This is going to be the busiest fall of my life between building a play ground, a range, and trying to get some hunting and fishing in.