Thread: Seward over the weekend

Default Seward over the weekend

We made it out to the super secret salmon hole know as Cheval Saturday and was the only private boat there for most of the morning. Water going out was rough with chop on the swells. I bet the commercial boats wondered about us when that 19' boat came out of the fog to join them. Things started out fast with 3 quick hookups but lost 2 of them. The action slowed down until about 2:00 with only 3 in the boat. Catching really picked up then and got the next 9 and headed back in to the harbor by 4:00. Some really nice ones in the 12 to 15 pound class but nothing to compete in the derby. The chatter on the radio sounded like nobody else was cathing fish and most of them stayed close to the harbor. The water coming back in was fairly nice. Listened to rain on the boat roof all night and woke up to good rain Sunday so left early to beat the crowds and process fish. Had a fresh fillet on the smoker/grille last night and ate like royalty.

Default Slow - Slow - Slow - Seward

We fished with the crowd at Caines Head (23 Boats) and picked up three, and I think we were doing better than most there. We moved after a couple hours to the south side of Hive Island (17 boats ) and got zip. I had heard they were doing OK around the corner in Day Harbor (driftwood bay) but looked at the forecast and the tide times and said lets be safe and not chance it.
    I sure would like to hear a report from someone that went to day harbor on Saturday.
    It's just to bad the Seward chamber can't ever get the derby scheduled
    when there are good numbers of fish in the bay.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Day harbor

Went that wa Sat and turned around to stay in as it was to choppy for my taste. sunday I went again and made it around cape in 5-6 swells, decided it just wasn;t worth it in case it got worse to come home. hard to turn around though But I will, get to fish another day
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default slept in

I am kind of glad that I slept in on Sunday then. We did make it out to Caines head and tried for rocks for about an hour and trolled for salmon for about 3 hours with 1 pink to show. Had I left earlier I might have tried to get outside a little. It was flat while we were out - and pretty nice for a Sunday afternoon.

Default Saturday Afternoon

I ran out around the outside of Fox Island (it was a wee bit sloppy) but it had been 20+ years since I had been outta Seward (I was in the CG on the Mustang in the mid 80's hence the name of my boat "Puddle Pirate")We came back through the Narrows and tossed the deep divers between Hat island and the mainland. Hooked a 16 pounder with in minutes but had to head in as one of the kids with me was getting queasy. No dang pics though (wife had the camera hiking Twin lakes)