Thread: Garmin 520 question

Default Garmin 520 question

Installed one of these today on my freshwater river boat. When I attempt to zoom in on the map for a close up I lose all detail.
    Any suggestions?
    Tennessee

where were you boating? the 520 doesnt have offshore charts. It has preloaded lakes/inland river charts, but not for alaska. So the only detail you will get with that unit is offshore, but you need to buy the G2 Vision card for that.

I was boating in my driveway. I dont need off shore charts as it is for freshwater use only. It is loaded with local data but I am unable to zoom in with good detail.
    Tennessee

I didn't realize Garmin was offering an Alaskan inland waters program yet? I have looked over their website but it is not the most user friendly in my mind or maybe I am just not internet savvy?

Only owned three Garmins but all showed the basic rivers and lakes in Alaska although not in great detail.
    Tennessee

Default More Garmin questions

I am thinking about replacing my basic fishfinder w/ one that has the GPS built in.
    Trying to figure out which unit to buy, somewhat confused by the map choices.
    It needs to be NEMA 2000 so I can connect it to my Lowrance fuel gauge.
    I want the sounder feature so I can use it as depthfinder.
    I would like to have the basic inland maps, but have good coastal maps that display the bottom contour.
    This is a riverboat and space is limited, but I do try to get down to Homer or Valdez a couple times during the summer.
    Any help? clarification on the map choices?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Only owned three Garmins but all showed the basic rivers and lakes in Alaska although not in great detail.
    I thought you were saying they now had detailed inland waterways available like they do for the lower 48 states. I talked to them about producing one a couple of years ago and they had no interest, something about there not being enough interest in Alaska to sink the money in that product. I love the blue charts they have just wish we could get inland ones like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I am thinking about replacing my basic fishfinder w/ one that has the GPS built in.
    Trying to figure out which unit to buy, somewhat confused by the map choices.
    It needs to be NEMA 2000 so I can connect it to my Lowrance fuel gauge.
    I want the sounder feature so I can use it as depthfinder.
    I would like to have the basic inland maps, but have good coastal maps that display the bottom contour.
    This is a riverboat and space is limited, but I do try to get down to Homer or Valdez a couple times during the summer.
    Any help? clarification on the map choices?
    I'm also in the market for such a widget. I have the E-Tec I-Command guages (OEM'd from Lowrance) and would like to have them tied into whatever fishfinder I get... I've looked at the Lowrance HDS series and looks like the ticket, but pretty $$$. I'm also a Garmin (GPS) bigot from way back, but have never been too impressed with their sonar offerings.

Lowrance offers their HDS series with a variety of base map options: inland lakes (no coverage in AK that I'm aware of), and marine/coastline (I *think* they have AK coverage), and a choice of transducer types. Believe it or not, our local Fred Meyer has one of these (HDS-5) running in demo mode at the gun counter, but it's trapped in the glass case and I dunno if they'd let you fiddle with it to check it out.

Any Lowrance owners out there have comments?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I thought you were saying they now had detailed inland waterways available like they do for the lower 48 states. I talked to them about producing one a couple of years ago and they had no interest, something about there not being enough interest in Alaska to sink the money in that product. I love the blue charts they have just wish we could get inland ones like that.
    Absolutely agree. What is funny is sometimes when running the rivers the gps will say you are on land, lol.
    Garmin does not do a very good job with there inland maps.
    Tennessee