Thread: Bristol Bay/ Naknek Area- Need help

Default Bristol Bay/ Naknek Area- Need help

Newbie on the forum here. And im from Mississippi. Not trying to take anybodys spots or step on any toes, but if somebody could throw me a bone it would be appreciated. With that said, my girlfriend just moved out to Bristol Bay to teach for a little while and i am going to be back and forth between here and there. I know there is good fishing in the area, but am not sure if its to late in the year. So my questions are, what kind of fishing is there to do around Bristol Bay in September, and what kind of gear do i need. In fact, any outdoor oppurtunities in the area over the next few months i would be intrested in knowing about. Thanks in advance. Beers are on me.

Default Naknek

Two words, HUGE BOWS!!! You are headed to one of the best trout fishing areas. My advice would be to hire a guides for a day or two on the water you plan to fish. Pick his brain on different flies, and where the fish hold. The money you spend up front for the guide will definately pay off.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    Two words, HUGE BOWS!!! You are headed to one of the best trout fishing areas. My advice would be to hire a guides for a day or two on the water you plan to fish. Pick his brain on different flies, and where the fish hold. The money you spend up front for the guide will definately pay off.

Jake

Yep Jake's right mostly.

Not HUGE BOWS, more like HUGE BOW'S!!!

My buddy used to guide on the Alagnak and would catch tons of 30" + rainbows on giant flesh flies late in the year!!!

Definately use a guide for a day to learn the local techniques.
    If you fly fish bring a 7wt and for spinning tackle an 8 to 0 foot 10 to 15 pound line class rod will work fine.

Your definately in for a treat.

there are alot of great rivers out there but i'll focus on the naknek which flows right through the town of kings salmon and naknek.

I've fished all over alaska and the lower 48 for rainbow and I have to say the naknek is my favorite place to fish for rainbows. Quite simply home to the best fightings bows i've ever encountered, these fish are hot!!!

I would also recommend hiring a guide to pick his/her brain.

Early through mid september is mostly an egg show ie drifting beads and around the 20 of september you can start doing well drifting or swinging flesh flies, leeches or sculpins

If your fly fishing I would recomend a good 7 wieght if your spin fishing an 8 to 10 foot rod with 12 pound test. U can also bring a baitcaster if you plan to backtroll wee warts or something

Thanks for the replies. Is there much wading access in the area or pretty well all by boat? Im definitley going to hire a guide for a few days to get the ins and outs.

Default Location

Bristol Bay is a huge area hence the HUGE BOWS :-) seriously what part of Bristol Bay? Knowing that might help get a little more depth on our replies.

As an example you might in staying in King Salmon which of course means your next to King Salmon Creek something not mentioned most of the time. In Sept you have Silver fishing in King Salmon Creek with a Mix of Dollies following them just prior to Freeze up in Oct. That being said yes the Bow Fishing is outstanding however there are also many other fish to chase without the normal expenses associated with fishing in that area.

Just food for thought. Name the place win the prize.

Glad to see someone is getting to visit that area this year! Lucky Dawg!

Best Wishes Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Bristol Bay is a huge area hence the HUGE BOWS :-) seriously what part of Bristol Bay? Knowing that might help get a little more depth on our replies.

As an example you might in staying in King Salmon which of course means your next to King Salmon Creek something not mentioned most of the time. In Sept you have Silver fishing in King Salmon Creek with a Mix of Dollies following them just prior to Freeze up in Oct. That being said yes the Bow Fishing is outstanding however there are also many other fish to chase without the normal expenses associated with fishing in that area.

Just food for thought. Name the place win the prize.

Glad to see someone is getting to visit that area this year! Lucky Dawg!

Best Wishes Tight Lines

Blue Moose
    Sorry, specifically will be staying in Naknek.

Default Contact George Riddle

Might want to visit Blue Berry Island Lodge web site George Riddle runs a first rate operation and is a wealth of knowledge.

Lots of fishing on the Naknek River starting with Lake Camp, Rapids Camp, Big Creek, King Salmon Creek al lthe back to Bristol Bay. If in your budget look at a fly out to Brooks Camp, Moraine and or American Creek.

Have fun contact George and Fish ON!

Tell her to steer clear of the gym teacher... He's a strange creepy dude.

Huge steelbows, nice rezzies, lots of pressure close to town. Good salmon fishing too especially for silvers and reds
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Rosedale,

George here, grew up on the Naknek and just moved away in 07.

Don't expect a 30"+ fish every cast or every day. Yes there are a good number of the 30+ year fish every year on the Nak but I have a personal peeve for everyone needing the 30. ( I guide the area so have a tainted veiw, just love my fish and be kind and it may get to 30).

As far as access without a boat, yes but few and like anywhere road access means everyone tries. That said, if you get to lake camp early you can fish upstream of the dock behind the rock. You will see it even if the water is high, bring waders. An inflatedable kayak/canoe would open of water.

The advice on a guide is great and would let you see how to fish it. The Nak is easy to wade especially in high water. 7-8 wt fly rod with type 4-6 sink tip ( I fish a 200 gr RIO) is a must.

What will your girlfriend be teaching? My wife and I graduated from Bristol Bay and she taught there for many years before we move to Wasilla. Hook up with Trever Townsend, he teaches High School English and is an avid/good fisher and has a boat. Tell him George sent you.

George