Thread: Wobbling arrows?

Default Wobbling arrows?

I have noticed that every once in a while my arrows will hit the target at an angle. I'm shooting 27 1/2" Gold Tip 5575 with 125gr tips, 27" DL and 65# DW. Are my arrows too long or do I have too heavy of a tip for the arrows I am shooting? I am comfortable with the draw weight and don't really want to go any lighter. Any recomendations?

What kind of bow are you shooting?

Default Questions about your problem

If you provide bow make, model and year, I can run it through The Archery Program, and it might yield some clues.

If you draw length is 27 and your arrow length is 27.5, your arrow needs to be long enough so your fingers won't touch the back of the broadhead. I am just guessing your arrow lenght is about right. If you have 2-3 inches of arrow sticking out beyond the riser at full draw, it is too long and it will cause your arrow to act like the spine is too weak with your 125 gr tip.

Also, Goldtip has differet 5575 arrows, per The Archery Program. I do need to know the specific Goldtip 5575 arrow you are using.

Is it liimited to one arrow all the time, or is it sporadic with all of your arrows.

Have you done a paper tune?

also dont forget some targets have a tendancy to make arrows do funny things!

Have you tried shooting fletched and unfletched groups to see how things are grouping in relation to eachother? Or fletched fieldpoints and fletched bh's again to see how things are grouping...if they group together you're fine.

Bow is a new model this year, Bowtech Sniper, their low end model but a good bow for the price and the deal I got on it from a buddy of mine. The arrows I am using are Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's. I haven't paper tested it yet, I plan on doing that this weekend. I have seen other arrows I have had with a torn fletching do the same thing. I will have to take a look at my arrows and see if I can isolate the arrow that is wobbling when I shoot tonight if it is just one.

torn fletchings usually means contact with the rest.....

Torn fletching started out as a hole from an arrow passing through and has developed into a tear. I have a Hostage capture rest on it which I really like. Haven't had any problems with it tearing up fletchings so far nor is there any sign of it even coming in contact with them.

Also went out to the range last night and did not have any problems with the arrows wobbling. The only time I see this is when I am shooting at my bag target at home. Could this be what is causing this to happen?

Stuffing in the bag target can occasionally slightly redirect the arrow upon impact.

Have someone watch the flight of each arrow to look for erratic flight. That should tell you more than the impact angle will. With my wife shooting, I've generally been able to see an arrow wobble in flight (at 20 yds or greater) from a fletching problem. Often, you can hear it flutter too.

Also, try shooting into some kind of "block" target. Unless you are hitting a lost broadhead/blade, the impact angle doesn't seem to "redirect" like it can with a bag target.

Talking

"DEAR Santa,
    Please bring me FOB's and a drop-away rest for Christmas so I don't ever have to deal with these pesky torn fletchings again.
    I have been good, except for this fletching thing...

S. Elliott "

Heeheehee

Taylor

-[]------->

Default is your bow tuned

have you had your bow tuned this season? could be a fletching hitting the rest, could be a rest out of alignment, could be a bad arrow, could be an out of align fletching, could just be a spot in the target, could be any number of things with so little info.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

it's probably the bag target.

had the same problem at the NY state indoor tourney even with cardboard on the front of the targets. I'd shoot and swear it was an x. Look down and I'd see the fletching up in the 9 ring. I'm thinking WTH?? Look down with my binos and sure enough it's an x but the arrow was tipped up when it entered the bag target. Scared the crap outta me that first shot!

Block targets will preserve your arrow orientation better.

that being said it's still a good idea to make sure you're not getting contact with anything and that your setup is tuned well.

I used to shoot at burlap filled with old shrinkwrap and it did this very thing....

You should try tuning it though just for kicks, wouldnt be a baaad idea..and it will give you peace of mind 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    "DEAR Santa,
    Please bring me FOB's and a drop-away rest for Christmas so I don't ever have to deal with these pesky torn fletchings again.
    I have been good, except for this fletching thing...

S. Elliott "

Heeheehee

Taylor

-[]------->
    Funny you say that, My dad bought a bowtec patriot from a friend last year and the friend could really stack in the groups. My dad gets it and has a hard time keeping the groups under 3" @ 20 yards and he has a drop away rest. Turns out after one of the fletchings started rippling he realized he was knocking the arrow upside down. The drop away was working correctly but the bottom fletching was hitting the support that holds the arrow until you draw back. His old hoyt had the odd fletching down. Took him a long time to figure it out LOL
    Justin

If you go with FOBs, you don't have to worry about torn fletchings, fletchings getting ripped off the arrow, and etc.

Picked up a dozen new arrows as I was down to 4 good ones and upgraded from the Gold Tip XT Hunters to the Pro Hunters and haven't had the problem yet with them. I don't think it was any one thing making my arrows do what they were doing but rather a combination of things like a torn fletching, the bag target (it's never happened on a foam target) and not having arrows with sufficient spine strength for my setup. I looked at the back of the box my new arrows came in and it had a chart that tells you which arrows to use for certain draw weight and arrow length combinations and what I had was out of spec with what Gold Tip recommends. All is well and now the only two things left to do are pass my Bow cert and go stick some bou's up on the slope. Thanks all for the tips and advice and good luck this season. Happy hunting!

realize most charts are a starting point..it's not an end all and it'll take some screwing around to find THE arrow..there will be one or two sets close on either side..but only ONE perfect one!