Thread: Fresh body of water between Seward and ANC?

Default Fresh body of water between Seward and ANC?

Is there any easily accessible from the highway body of fresh water between Seward and Anchorage where I can dip my trailer/boat and run the motor (while still on the trailer) after using it in salt?

While a slight detour, the Kenai Lake launch at quartz creek campground is a pretty good one, and only a few miles out of the way.

Purpose of flushing it out..or? Get a set of those H20 muffs and hook it to a garden hose.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    While a slight detour, the Kenai Lake launch at quartz creek campground is a pretty good one, and only a few miles out of the way.
    Yeah I do that one usually on the way from Homer... Don't feel like it's worth a drive when coming from Seward though...

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Purpose of flushing it out..or? Get a set of those H20 muffs and hook it to a garden hose.
    Yeah I got the muffs and use them after each trip... But dropping the whole thing into some fresh water is easier/better and don't have to bother the neighbors with the sound of a two stroke, especially when I come back late...

Default Trail Lake

Going through Moose Pass coming from Seward, take the first right at the end of the guard rail, just as it turns back to 45 mph. Easy to back in and run it.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Going through Moose Pass coming from Seward, take the first right at the end of the guard rail, just as it turns back to 45 mph. Easy to back in and run it.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try next time I'm out there done chasing fish

Default Any rules?

Just wondering if there are any regulations on doing this type of thing. I know some places in the lower 48 are very particular about dunking a boat or trailer in a different body of water, for fear of transplanting giant green-bellied 40-toe lizards, or something. (Barnacles and vegetation come to mind.)
    I'm lucky to have a hose connection to flush my Honda. No muffs or running of the engine required. I do run the muffs after an oil change, and it sounds nearly as loud as my old 2-strokes when out of the water. A good fresh-water dunk for the trailer parts sounds refreshing though...
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Default just curious...

but aren't there freshwater spigots available at the boat ramps? Takes only a minute or two to rinse your trailer right after the launch and just a little longer on the retrieval to do the same and flush the engine. Very common here (kauai) otherwise you can almost watch your trailer (galvanized or not) rust right in front of you. Would rather do the rinsing before all the saltwater dries. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    but aren't there freshwater spigots available at the boat ramps? Takes only a minute or two to rinse your trailer right after the launch and just a little longer on the retrieval to do the same and flush the engine. Very common here (kauai) otherwise you can almost watch your trailer (galvanized or not) rust right in front of you. Would rather do the rinsing before all the saltwater dries. Jim

That is a negative. I know my folks fish the Texas gulf in the winter and most places they fish out of have fresh water rinse stations for that purpose there. I have never seen that anywhere here in Alaska.

BTW, I think the most convienant place coming back from Seward would be in Kenai lake at the Primrose campground. There is a concrete ramp there and it's only a mile or two off the hiway to the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    I know only one ramp around here that has that and it's in Whittier, but every time I tried to use it a commercial boat occupies it and I don't have time to wait until the next tunnel opening...

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    BTW, I think the most convienant place coming back from Seward would be in Kenai lake at the Primrose campground. There is a concrete ramp there and it's only a mile or two off the hiway to the ramp.
    Wow I just checked it out on a map and I didn't know there's a campground there, never seen any signs for it on the highway.. Thanks I'll check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    It's Trail Lake, just as you pass the mile post 30 sign on the right, coming out of Moose Pass. Much much faster than rinsing with a hose or waiting for the hose. I think dunking the boat and trailer in fresh water does a far superior job of rinsing. I back in so that my trailer fenders are almost under water. This ensures my entire brake system gets rinsed while I flush my motors. There is no organized ramp but, the launch area is solid gravel and is very easy and safe.

There is SIX-MILE CREEK, you just put in at the East fork, and by the time you get to the take out, She will be clean..........