Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft pacific series????

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Hewescraft pacific series????

Do any of you on here own a 26' Hewescraft Pacific series pilot house boat? I am looking for feedback on how you like it and what power you put on it and the performance of your power plant Mileage cruise speed to speed Etc? I would probably chose a large single motor with a kicker but I am not sure. I wish I could find a deal on a used one.

Mike

Hi Mike
    I have a 26' PC and we love it, i wish i could get it in a 28 or 30'. We have twin 115hp and it seems to get right up on step and pretty good gph at about 30 mph. I think we average about 9 to about 11 gph and the boat is about averge on load weight.
    We have the galley and marine head, cuddy berth and twin captains chairs. 156 GAL fuel tank and i have about 4 scuba tanks on board all the time + normal fishing gear and dingy on top.
    I have seen a couple hewes crafts pc in Craigs list for about a month now and they were priced pretty well under retail for a boat that was a year old or less.
    Good luck in your search

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks for the info. I have been looking through my local CL for a while and nothing has shown I looked up the AK CL and found a 24 & 22 for sale. I really want a 26 but I may give the guy with a 24 a call. I have a 21' North River right now and I really want more fishing room I am not sure how big the cockpit is on a 24. I live in Wa State my local dealer has not had one of these in so I have not been able to look at one. I also want the self bailing deck if I order a new one. I think I could convert a non self bailer if I had too.

Mike

Just my personal thoughts, if you're going with twin o/b's, size them large enough so that one of them can get the boat on step. I don't know what the gross weight of that boat would be, but I'm thinking you'd need something in the range of a 140-150 to get it on plane, and twin 175's might not be a bad way to go.

I don't know anyone that's regretted going with a larger engine(s) when giving the choice. Many decry the fact that they opted for smaller engine(s).

The more time I spend in the salt, the more I'm convinced properly sized twins make alot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just my personal thoughts, if you're going with twin o/b's, size them large enough so that one of them can get the boat on step. I don't know what the gross weight of that boat would be, but I'm thinking you'd need something in the range of a 140-150 to get it on plane, and twin 175's might not be a bad way to go.

I don't know anyone that's regretted going with a larger engine(s) when giving the choice. Many decry the fact that they opted for smaller engine(s).

The more time I spend in the salt, the more I'm convinced properly sized twins make alot of sense.
    I agree my choice if ordering new would be between a single 300-350 or twin 150 - 175's. I have heard of a few out there with twin 115's I guess I would need a ride in one to make up my mind.

Mike

Howdy,

We recently got a 26' Hewescraft Alaskan powered with twin 150hp Yamahas. While the dealer seemed to be pushing twin 115's with that hull, I've heard from several owners that their "real world" experiences with those motors don't quite match up with published performance claims. We're still getting the boat broken in, but preliminary numbers show us burning about 6-7gph (per engine) at 3800 - 4000 rpm. We are getting speeds of 26-28 knots at those rpm's. A single 150 will get the boat on step fairly well.

I was hesitant to get the twin 115's, and am very glad we got the twin 150's instead. I know the Pacific Cruiser is a little heavier than the Alaskan, but I think the twin 150's would be a good match with that particular boat.

If you go with twin 150's I would also recommend ordering counter-rotating props. We did not, and the boat definitely displays a tendency for what I'd call "torque-steer". It likes to turn to the right a whole lot easier than to the left! It's not a huge big deal, but if I had it to do over that's one small item I'd change. Other than that, so far we love the boat!

Good Luck!

Chris

Whatever you do, don't get a Hewey with the open bow pulpit!

Boat just flipped down here on Monday. Seven folks in the water & 1 dead.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/0818...82967040.shtml

Report sounded like she started taking green water over the bow. The pulpit filled up. Took a second one over the bow, turned and flipped over.

crappy design for rough water IMO. Gotta be able to shed the seawater quickly when it comes over the bow.

This is the bow design questionable in question (from the Salmon Derby site)

I'm not saying that I disagree with a cuddy cabin being a better design than a bow pulpit, but 7 people in a 22' boat out during a small craft advisory really isn't an issue of boat design.

I agree with the open bow being a not so great design but I believe many other factors contributed to this unfortunate event. 7 people in that boat is far too many especially when you take into consideration all the added gear that was more then likely onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    I agree with the open bow being a not so great design but I believe many other factors contributed to this unfortunate event. 7 people in that boat is far too many especially when you take into consideration all the added gear that was more then likely onboard.
    Paul we were typing at the same time.

They were 95% of the way back.

I've lived at Lena Point for nearly 20 years. I'm sure there was a tide/wind thing going on. Short wave length - prolly a few rouge 5-6 footers.

We'll find out if he exceeded the USCG load rating for the boat.

I don't like to take more than 4 people out in my 21 footer, but have done 6 in pretty rough water.

Very unfortunate accident. I can't believe there weren't incidents during the Derby. I was downright scheitty out.

i suspect that that 22 footer was probably outfitted with a 115 horse motor. Anybody know for certain. It seems like the dealers tend to set them up with less than adequate power. That could have been a major player in the accident.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Sad story.

I sort of like the open bow version. If I owned one, enlarging the freeing ports and insuring they stayed clear would be top priority.

From what I read it was a 20 footer, and when they said 7 people onboard...wow. Sad story indeed.

Think this was the one: From ADN...

Seven people were pulled from the water north of Juneau after a 20-foot skiff capsized. One man trapped under the skiff was reported as "unresponsive" by the Coast Guard.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I won't consider an open bow boat for salt water fishing. I will post a picture of my custom made 21' NR seahawk I had built in 05 with a closed bow. My seahawk is a great boat but I have 4 foot itis and I want a sleeper birth.

Mike

Default Picture of my current boat.

Here is a picture of my current boat. North River called this their white water bow made for jet boats running wild water. I did not like the idea of an open bow for salt water use. The closed bow has a ton of storage under it. The only problem is there is no place for a large cooler so i use insulated fish bags and i actually like them better.

Default Small Craft Advisory & 7 people - Bad Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm not saying that I disagree with a cuddy cabin being a better design than a bow pulpit, but 7 people in a 22' boat out during a small craft advisory really isn't an issue of boat design.
    I totally agree that the main cause of this accident was the fact that someone either never checked the weather forecast or ignored the advisory. It's sad that there are people who put lives in danger by not listening to the forecast.
    Last edited by akfishnut; 08-18-2009 at 22:14. Reason: spelling & format
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

My wife's uncle just about lost his 22 Hewey (with 3 souls on board) by taking blue water onto the open bow last year. There was so much water on the bow that it was coming through the walkthrough door. Before he realized what was happening, he had so much water in the bilge that he couldn't get up on step. He beached it in time to save it, but it wasn't pretty. Seems to me that the drains up there are WAY to small to drain anything but rain water while sitting on the trailer. Hewes (and every Hewes owner) should either seal the open bow or open the drains up.

But, that's not the actual topic of this thread. The 26-foot Pacific Cruiser is on my short list when it comes time to upgrade, and I would like to know about performance numbers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Seems to me that the drains up there are WAY to small to drain anything but rain water while sitting on the trailer.

Guess this thread has been hijacked, but there is still some good info to be gleaned from here. I have been out of the hewescraft owning business for several years, but my old 2000 model 24 foot Alaskan had very large scuppers up front. I took water over the bow on more than one occasion and never had issues. It was a great boat for us. Have they changed the scupper size/design? I agree that the cuddy is the best option. It opens up a whole lot more space. If I were looking at the 26 cruiser and a single, I would go with a 300 suzuki and a decent kicker. If I were looking at twins it would be the F150's or zuke 150's with a counter rotator. The suzukis are appealing. Having a 16" wheel sure would be nice. If I had deeper pockets I would have a pair hanging on the back of "Patience" right now. Perhaps the next one.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have the 26 pacific cruiser full cabin design with twin 115s. If money was no object i would have done the 150s. one 115 wont get me on step but together they do pretty well. Its always a tendency to want to go faster but usually that gets you into trouble anyway. other than that I love this boat!!! in fact after in type this im going to homer to stay the night on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast