Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving The Tundra Trucks

Default Saving The Tundra Trucks

Yes folks the tundra trucks are still out there!! Just for fun, let's share some ideas ideas on how to get them out. Here's my 2 cents worth.
    Bite the bullet and hire helicoptor or put on sleds a small heater, camping gear, parachute, 2 handyman jacks, small gas air compressor and air chisels. Use chisels to free the truck parts that are frozen in, then jack them up. Who else has ideas?

I say leave them there as a monument to the criminally stupid!!

Gonna need a lot more than a small heater! I am thinking a couple truck loads of equipment to parachute the trucks and large heaters to thaw both the trucks and the ground. Followed by a sling and a CH-47 to haul it to the highway. Followed by a Rons Towing large flat bed with winch and on their way to Anchorage they go. And the bill delivered to Airman ????

Oh and I forgot to add that the temps have been dipping near -35 at night and the winds been blowing pretty good. Sounds like good times HUH?

My take is, instead of spending money over and over on half-*****ed attempts, drop the money the first time and get it done right and be done with it. These guys are already paying X amount of dollars per month on rigs that they cannot drive, and are getting ruined sitting there freezing

4 ARB air jacks
    2 bazooka heaters transported in on sleds
    4 battery operated sawzalls with charger and convertor
    1 set of spare tires and rims for each rig.
    all fluids and lubes for a complete servicing and fluid change after the recovery

- Use the ARB jacks to try to lift the rigs out.
    - Iff'n that don't work, heat up the mud around the tires
    - Iff'n that don't work, use sawzalls to cut the tire/rim combo off of the hubs, then lift up the truck with the air jacks. I figure the tires are going to be the worst stuck point of the situation. You lose out on the stock set of tires and rims, but at this point , the desperation would fuel me to make drastic decisions. Using the sawzall or air chisel to seperate frame from frozen tundra would help out as well.
    - Maybe buying a winch and a pull pal. I know the implications of usign a pull pal are determental to the ground somewhat, but once again, at this point I am sure even the tried and true greenie naturalists would rather see a little dug up tundra then steel icons of stupidity stuck out there in the wilderness. You would probably only need the pull pal for the initial recovery. After that, driving on plywood, geoblocks, or any other weight distribution device would save both the tundra and the worry of gettign stuck again, and again, and again

Now there's some good ideas. What is a pull pal?

our offroad club has one. They are pretty good. They don't penetrate permafrost, but they do pretty good in snow as well.
    Perhaps use that in conjunction with a few other tactics. whatever it takes at this point for these guys to get their trucks back.

Default Plan for Tundra Trucks

There was a plan submitted to the BLM to recover these trucks; however, it was turned down due to saftey concerns (probably weather). The plan, in short, was to put a parachute over the red dodge and use an aircraft heater and heating pads (ran by a generator) to heat up the ground and the truck, then pull it to the road using a tracked vehicle. While that was being done, the silver ford was going to be cut out of the ice and mud using a combo of various saws, and then pulled to the road by the same tracked vehicle.
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

It has to do with liability if the BLM signs off on it. If someone where to get hurt who do you think would be held liable? A salvage company would be insured for something like this. Not much different than vessle recovery in the ocean.

i say punch a heavy chain through the windows and hook them up to a really big helicopter. that might work.

the recovery should have happened as soon as the ground started to freeze.

Here another interesting angle, if the trucks are messed up during extraction and or if they dont get them out. Many times when you use your vehicle for illegal acts the insurance companies will not repair the vehicle so they could end up with fubard trucks that they have to keep paying for.

Default Flat

Probably the biggest problem is that they are sitting on the frames. You would have to chip out holes to put the jacks under. You can't put a jack on the bumper of any truck anymore because they are basically decoration only. You might be able to grab the front ends if they have tow hooks.

It is getting colder faster this year than others in the past. People even down here are having pipes freeze because of the temperatures and lack of snow.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

well from what I gather from reading, there was actually nothing technically illegal about their driving, so in essence insurance could be claimed.
    If a helicopter is used, I would consider the trucks totalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Probably the biggest problem is that they are sitting on the frames. You would have to chip out holes to put the jacks under. You can't put a jack on the bumper of any truck anymore because they are basically decoration only. You might be able to grab the front ends if they have tow hooks.

It is getting colder faster this year than others in the past. People even down here are having pipes freeze because of the temperatures and lack of snow.
    Yup, you can bet they are froze in solid. It has been 20 below at night for the last couple weeks here in Fairbanks and still below zero during the day. Much colder up north I imagine.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default An idea

Here's a thought-

What if someone could get permits to use snowmachines and sleds to haul a Weatherport out there and a couple of propane heaters. Just erect the tent over the truck and fire up the heaters for a while, just to melt the surface a bit. I would think that would work. Lots of ways to do this-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Now that the ground is frozen solid they are pretty much stcuk for the winter unless omeone wants to put in a lot of work. Which I doubt, or they would have done it before now.

Parachutes and a few heaters to get things thawing. Then chop, saw, and dig things out jacking them up as you go. The tires being stuck are the least of the problems, its the axles and frames being down in the muck causing sucktion. Using a track vehicle would be the easiest but will more than likely total the trucks from bending the frames, if you could even find a stout enough part to hook to.

Will BLM allow the owners to drive other vehicles onto the tundra to recover these trucks?

I am surpised these trucks have been there this long, there are plenty of highly experienced salvage people in Alaska. heavy equipment falls through ice, muskeg, and tundra all the time while working job sites and is recovered. Granted it cost an arm and a leg but whats the cost of those trucks? They both look like newer models in the pics on here.

This situation was very workable, the situation they are in now is gonna cost money and lots of it!

Question chopper questions

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    i say punch a heavy chain through the windows and hook them up to a really big helicopter. that might work.

the recovery should have happened as soon as the ground started to freeze.
    I don't know anything about helicopters, but I have a hard time believing, even the biggest chopper would pull a vehicle out of frozen mud. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know. Unless the ground surrounding it would just "pop" out with it like a popsicle on a stick, again don't know. I am wondering if the cab would pull right off the frame before the frame and chassis would come out of the frozen mud? Or maybe the cable would cut right through the sheet metal? Or are there choppers out there that would pick up the truck and dirt like it was a cargo hold? I'd be interested to know. If they were going to take the helicopter approach, why didn't they do it long before freeze up?? Just wondering

There is no way they are going to be pulled out until they are dug out. I've delt with frozen vehicles before and you can't pull them out. Broncoformudv, you are right, there lots of people around who deal with this stuff, that's why I posted this, it's interesting to hear other folks ideas. Starting them would be the easiest part.

The more I look at the pics the less I understand why they are still sitting there. I have been taking my trucks offroad for years in Alaska and been stuck as bad if not worse. I would of just jacked them up and used some 2x8's or 2x6's to drive back out on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast