Thread: Trail River near Moose Pass

Default Trail River near Moose Pass

any one have any info on floating Trail River from the where it dumps out of trail lake and flows into Kenai lake right by Trail River campground?

Its short and has one small rapid under the bridge to the campground. We paddled it in the canoe with the dogs a few years ago!

Nice short float, good for trout when the reds are up there late in the run. If water is high, you have to watch the clearance under the railroad tressel at trail lake. The rapid under the trail river campground bridge is a class 2, just a lot of whoopdedoos in a row. Once you get down to the outlet, the fishing there in the creek is good if you see reds around, not that good if they aren't. There are some lakers in kenai lake that hang out around the outlet. If you want to make a longer day and get some excersize (or bring a motor) you can put in at upper trail, and float the neck down to lower trail. There are grayling in grant creek and in the neck where grant creek comes in, as well as trout and dollies. You then have to row or motor across lower trail to get to trail river.

Default thanks guys

i think I'll give it a go. I'm assuming you pulled out through the day use area of the campground or is there an easier way. I have a 16 ft aire cat.

I could also do it in a little 7 ft cat. perhaps thats a better way to go.

Nope not the campground. Easiest way is the day use area on kenai lake down from the forest ranger station. Right there where the railroad crosses the highway mile 22 or so. Once you hit kenai lake its just a little ways down the left side to the pull out.

Size of the boat doesnt matter too much, unless you are worried about the bridge, but we never had a problem taking our 17ft cat, just had to duck going under. There is plenty of water even at low water for a big boat. The little boat is going to be funner for the rapid, you wouldnt even feel much in the big boat. If you hit good fish, you could just bring a bicycle to portage to do it a few times, not that long of a float or a portage.

Default thanks again

will report if I get down there soon

Thumbs up

Great thread, I have often wondered about floating this river too. Guess the short trip is why you can't seem to find any info on it in the guide books. I will plan to do this one next year as our weekends are already booked for the year.

Steve

Default Finally floated the Trail river into Kenai Lake

pretty fun for a quick (very quick) float. Takes only about 15 minutes if you don't dally anywhere. It was another 15 on the lake. River was at 6.5 or so on the old highway bridge where the measuring marks are. I assume that's where the info is coming from on the nws site that shows river levels as the info there matches.

The float was simple as advertised with the exception of the campground road bridge rapid. I'm pretty inexperienced but dang that rapid pretty much sucked in my 16" Aire and shot it out like a water melon seed. Seemed more menacing than a class 2 but its over so fast maybe that's why it rates low. There is one bridge footing in the middle of the river and the water hydraulics look mean as hell. I don't think it would end well if you got sucked into it. there is no space on the right side and the left side is about 20 feet from the footing to a cliff beautifully adorned with sweepers so it looks like about 10". No real problem setting up for it but you certainly want to be in the middle as either side (sweepers or the suck hole at the footing) is not where you want to be. Its probably 40" with 20" open but sometimes the pucker factor the first time through can trick the eyes.

We didn't mess with trying to float under the railroad trestle, only looked like 4 or 5 ft of clearance. There is a pull off on the Seward side of the highway bridge that was easy to pull the cat off the trailer and set it in the river.

Didn't drop a line but after the campground bridge as you approach the lake it looks a lot like the Kenai river dumping into Skilak, a natural for trout feeding on eggs or flesh so I think I'll hit it again later in the year with that in mind. That would make it easier to justify the short run.