Thread: 2 fish 2 casts Little Su

Default 2 fish 2 casts Little Su

I finished painting my house and cleaning up around midnight last Wednesday the 12th, I had to be at the airport Thursday afternoon at 12:30 to head back to the slope.. So i got up THursday morning at 5:30 and headed to the Little Su with the boat in tow. I was dissapointed because I overslpet and feared i'd miss the morning bite. But as the fish would have it I ran down river, dropped the anchor, threw some eggs out, and felt the nibbles.. But they weren't goin for it like they do when they mean it,,, so i realled up reached for the #4 chartruce Vibrox rigged on the back up pole, through down stream about 4 o'oclock, drifted till 6 o'clock and bam, the tug, and ohh the beauty of the flash!!!! scarmbled to get the net out, and landed #1, pulled the hook trying to keep her alive and off the boat so she didnt pound and spook fish. Got the gills slit, hung her in the water with a leg on the net handle and went for cast # 2,, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and bam, the tug, and ohhh the beauty of the flash, my mind filled with ecitement, questions on whether to let her go enjoy the hot fishing, risk going home with one??? Nope keep it and get home to make my familly fresh salmon for breakfast!! OK, ok, i scarmbled to get the fish out of the net, enjoyed a nice fight, got her in the net, and sat down to light the camp stove and brew some coffee,, what a beautiful, beautiful morning on the Litle Su. It reminds me of why I have lived in Alaska all my life, and makes me want to fight to protect my rites to fish and live a subsistance lifestyle even more!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone deserves a day like that.

Still waiting for mine

Good looking fish too!!!

lucky you! good story, nice fish!
    Friday was a great day for me. went upriver on some advice from a friend. i sat in one of my usual holes when a float guy came by. he said "go look around the corner"... well we pulled up our lines went around the corner and low and behold "hundreds of salmon" everywhere. i havent seen schools on the river like that since i was a kid. kings, chums, pinks and tons of silvers all swimming around together. it was a marvelous sight. the water was so clear you could identify each fish. you can probably guess at the rest of this story.

Nice job,, it sure is nice to see alot of fish in the river!! I havent done alot of running up river yet, moved up here from SE Ak. "Petersburg" a few years back and ran a prop for 4 years, strictly down river. Tried a bit up for kings but It is hard to go up when I know all my spots down,, I plan on running up when I get home on the 27th, but im sure the show will be over, for the most part.. Contemplating trying Whittier, have u ever done that??