Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26' Olympic Walkabout Power?

Default 26' Olympic Walkabout Power?

I just got my hands on a 26' Olympic walkabout - We are repowering it with an outboard (used to be an inboard)

What size engine should we use and what kind of speeds would we be looking at.

I've got a great deal on either a 225hp Optimax, or an older 250hp Verado...From what I've heard the Opti is going to be more fuel effiecent, but is it going to have the power needed?

300 Suzuki! I would not go with the optimax. Even the Verado would most likely get as good as fuel milage as the optimax, and the oti still burns alot of very exspensive oil. I had a freind with twin 225's on a 28' Trophy. He is looking at 4 strokes even though the 2's are still in good running shape. Kicking himself for not just biting the bullet and upgrading to 4's when he bought the boat new. How many hp was the io that you had in it to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    300 Suzuki! I would not go with the optimax. Even the Verado would most likely get as good as fuel milage as the optimax, and the oti still burns alot of very exspensive oil. I had a freind with twin 225's on a 28' Trophy. He is looking at 4 strokes even though the 2's are still in good running shape. Kicking himself for not just biting the bullet and upgrading to 4's when he bought the boat new. How many hp was the io that you had in it to begin with?

I don't have a clue what inboard was in it before - I bought it with it already taken out...

I'd prefer to stay away from twins if I can as I am trying to save some coin...

I think those ran about 250-280 hp io's if my memory is any near correct. I understand trying to stay away from the twins to save $$ is why I suggested a 300 Suzuki. Yamaha makes a 300 as well. Both are good motors. Don't underpower it, you will always regret it.

Well, unfortunately I need to stick with Merc because I've got family who owns a dealership and I gotta go where the deal is ya'know?

My 21 Oly NWA sports a 225 HP Merc. That is the max HP rating.

I would not go with a 200 on mine. Would work fine for a couple of people and day fishing trips, but try 5 people, a dog, supplies for a week and some building materials . . .

Can't see you going less than a 250 HP.

Buddy has a 225 HP Honda on a 27' Bayliner and says it works fine, but Bayliner's a quite a bit lighter IIRC (thin hulled)

Default 200 2 stroke

Just fished the derby on my friends 23 foot olympic. Its got a 200hp yamaha 2 stroke. We had 4 guys 2 coolers of ice and drinks/food and all or fishing junk. 2 of us were 300lb dudes. That boat carried everything with power/speed to spare. between 30 to 35mph at 4500rpm. And we used it troll too with no problems. I hear that some of those 300/350 horse yamaha 4 strokes are burnig up from low oil pressure from idling/trolling all day. Just a rumor but I could believe that.
    Last edited by Magnum Man; 08-17-2009 at 11:35. Reason: info

Definately makes me lean towards the 250hp Verado....

Though, twin 150 optis would be sweet if I could find a counter-rotator setup...

I've got a cousin who has a 26' olympic xl that is powered by a 150 yamaha 2 stroke and it is fine. I have a friend with a 23' olympic with a honda 225 and it gets great fuel economy.

So I'd say run the cheap optimax. It will have the best fuel economy (the older verados are fuel guzzlers), and when the power head blows they are cheap.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    . . .and when the power head blows they are cheap.
    Don't you mean "if?"

LG - What kind of cruise and GPH do you get on your boat?

Default I'd Go with 225-250 HP

I have a 26' Olympic with a 5.7 Liter 280 Mercruiser inboard with an Alpha 1 outdrive. With 110 gallons of fuel on board, 2 full sized friends, gear for a four day stay and fishing, it never needs all the power. Top speed is 30 mph at 4300 rpm. I have been getting 1.9-2.2 miles per gallon, cruising between 20-25 knots, running between 3300-3600 rpm. Of course it varies with sea conditions.

I have considered repowering with an outboard, and after much study and thought, I would use a 225 or 250 hp 4 stroke outboard. It would knock about 275 pounds off the stern end weight, which is a real noticeable improvement.

I would buy a separate 15 to 25 HP kicker motor, for two reasons: redundant power source, and ability to run at trolling speed without putting so many hours on the main motor, and getting the low fuel usage that the smaller motor allows at trolling speed.

Jim

Here is the boat in question.

Bought it for super super cheap....I need to have the outdrive hole fiberglassed and an extended transom put on. It definately needs some cleaning up inside and out. But for the price I paid it was way more than a steal.

Check your gas tank my buddy has a lo hr 1989 26' XLOlympic that has been in storage 8 plus years. The aluminm tanks are set in foam and it allows corrosion causing leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    LG - What kind of cruise and GPH do you get on your boat?
    I cruise at ~27 mph and right around 14.0 gph. 1.8 to 2.2 mpg is a normal range.

It's EFI not HDPI.

Mark at the O/B shop did my repower. It had a OMC Seadrive, so I had to glass up the transom also. There's a guy right on Industrial that does good work.

Be careful as you will want an XL or XXL shaft length. Mine is an XXL.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I cruise at ~27 mph and right around 14.0 gph. 1.8 to 2.2 mpg is a normal range.

It's EFI not HDPI.

Mark at the O/B shop did my repower. It had a OMC Seadrive, so I had to glass up the transom also. There's a guy right on Industrial that does good work.

Be careful as you will want an XL or XXL shaft length. Mine is an XXL.

Just so happens Mark is my uncle - Hence the awesome deal on the boat...

I was looking at having Jeff at the Boat Doc do the fiberglass work.

How much did it cost you to have the work done and for the transom?

Onelung, sweet deal! From what I have read the Verado is a heavy outboard. Twin 115hp Optimax would be nice. The two stroke power and torque would be awesome. Depending on weight, maybe twin 150s.
    I have heard different opinions on the counter rotating setup. Most charter guys in Ninilchik that switched to counter rotating, have switched back. Maybe someone on here can expand on the counter rotate issue?
    I have always liked the Olympics. They look sharp and run smooth.

Boat Doc will cost you around $4,000 to glass over an i/o hole give or take $500 call them.

Mine was between $500-1000 IIRC and they did some work on the roof patching up an old stove penetration that had been half-assed fixed.

I really doubt that $4k est. Talk to the owner at The Boat Doc. That's who did my work. My transom patch was mostly above the waterline. The I/O hole patch is mostly below the waterline. Don't know if that makes a substantive diff in cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to have her waterbound by this next summer.

She needs a lot of work - New cushions and some upholstery, as well as wood trim re-finishing...and some electronics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast