Thread: Am I reading the regs. right?

Default Am I reading the regs. right?

I'm going on a brown bear hunt in 16B. As I read the regs. I don't need a locking tag or a harvest permit I just shoot and when I get back I have it checked in. I called the trooper in Soldotna and thats what he reads also. This is my first year hunting as a resident so I just want to be in the right. If you read it different or have other knowledge about the area don't be shy and please reply.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NO TAG REQUIRED for residents... unless your hunting the denali STATE park part of 16a

have the hide sealed after it is shot at a F&G office your correct.

your also allowed two bears... per regulatory year... so if you bust two now you have to wait until next fall for two more..

but if you pop ONE you can get one more in teh spring and two next fall... ( or try to....)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Thanks!

Thats how I read it also. It just seems weird that you don't need a tag. With a two bear limit there must be lots of them and the f&g want them thinned out a little. Thanks for the response.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Thats how I read it also. It just seems weird that you don't need a tag. With a two bear limit there must be lots of them and the f&g want them thinned out a little. Thanks for the response.
    unit 13 also does not require a tag.. EXCEPT that portion in the state park... open year round.. but only ONE bear...

both have good grzz populations...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I really didn't want to say anything but............
    In unit 16 you'll more than likely have lots of company and this is the units secound year at "kill all bears" status.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Trust me- there's no shortage of brownies; regardless of the amount of company he'll have. Talked to a lot more hunters baiting blacks this spring that had to close shop due to too many griz.

Default Everything I want to here

I flying over on the 3 of Sept and getting back on the 8 of sept. Got my new longbow in the mail a week ago and been tuning arrows and broadheads and shooting it twice a day all week. Well if everything goes well I will post pictures and if I don't get one well will have a great and exciting hunt. Thanks to all that posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    NO TAG REQUIRED for residents... unless your hunting the denali STATE park part of 16a

have the hide sealed after it is shot at a F&G office your correct.

your also allowed two bears... per regulatory year... so if you bust two now you have to wait until next fall for two more..

but if you pop ONE you can get one more in teh spring and two next fall... ( or try to....)

Note that a regulatory year runs from 1 Jan 2009 to 31 Dec 2009. So the shoot one now and then one in the spring of 2010 and then 2 in the fall of 2010 is incorrect.

OOOOPPPSS my mistake I was reading the wrong regs.

Some things are Jan to Dec others are July to Jun of the following year.

Your Hunting License expires 31 Dec, but the regulatory year for bags limits for game is Jul thru Jun

The rules in this state can be a real bugger sometimes to get ALL the right info. Really need to do your homework that's for sure.

Sorry about my previous post. Disregard post #8

Exclamation

Yep, and the bear you kill in May will be a REGULATORY YEAR '09 bear when you call a year later to get the age. I've made that mistake before and nearly been accused of killing a bear that I didn't check in...

Kill two if you can and take the spring off.

Taylor

-[]------->