Thread: why an upstream gillnet fishery could be good in the keani

Default why an upstream gillnet fishery could be good in the keani

ADF&G has been overescaping the keani for years, one of these days it will bite them in the butt and there will be a die off and crappy run, the pressure on ADFG to curtail commercial fishing is a large demand for fish inriver primarily from dipnetters as well as lower river entities. Commercial fishing in a sockeye run has been proven to be a very effective management tool and is vital to a continuence of very large runs on the keani. There is a thing called an optimum escapement goal, that is the number of spawners that will return the most fish in the next run, go under you don't get as many fish, go over you have massive winter kill in the lake among juviniles as well as some resident fish. When left to nature this run size is achieved naturally so for the keani river before comercial fishing we would have probably seen a total run of about half a million fish yearly, but we now see runs from 1-5 million fish anually because of the implemented OEG strategy. The problem with sockeye is that for angler and dipnet success there must be a lot of fish inriver this leads to pressure to restrict the commercial fisheries when fish are not getting upstream. Taking these factors into consideration as well as the greed of the NTC is recent times ADFG should implement a set gillnet fishery in skilak lake with the following perameters:

-Mesh size shall be pink sized net and the net shall be hung in

this causes fish that are too large (exceptional sockeye, chinook and coho) to have much less chance at getting caught

-Nets shall be atteneded at all times and fished every half an hour

this will allow the best chance at releasing bycatch live, B.C. gillnetters have employed this strategy to protect endagered coho and steelhead

-fishing shall be allowed by emergency order only when the OEG will be exceded past the sonar station and monitored closely to make sure the upper end of the OEG will be met.

-All species other then sockeye or pink salmon shall be returned to the water

I think this is a viable solution to the dipnet, sportfish, comm fish debate and the state could throw the greedy *********s in nililchik a permit so they could get "their" fish

comments?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Greedy...?

"I think this is a viable solution to the dipnet, sportfish, comm fish debate and the state could throw the greedy *********s in nililchik a permit so they could get "their" fish."

Have you ever neen to Ninilchik during the king season? I have, frequently. It's a zoo! Can you imagine having thousands of people going up and down your street, camping outside your house, traipsing across your property, etc., and harvesting the river which pretty much used to be your family's larder up until recent times?

I understand the Alaska Constitution, and the reality of trying to satisfy the needs and desires of fisherman who are largely urbanites and want their piece of the action under the Constitution, however, it seems to me like the Ninilchik people have been getting the shaft for a very long time.

I'm playing the Devil's advocate to a certain degree, and I doubt that this "subsistence" thing is really going to fly in the long run, but really... put yourself in the other guy's shoes. Ninilchik, while not truely rural, is certainly not Anchorage or Aberdeen, Washington and many people do have the strong, traditional, multi-generational ties to the land and rivers as Alaskans did of yore.

Default Civil decline. . .

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ". . . many people do have the strong, traditional, multi-generational ties to the land and rivers as Alaskans did of yore."
    Nicely said, but I'm afraid it falls on ears ignorant of tradition and cultural memory, ears plugged with self-interest at the expense of civility, manners, and our place in the created order.

Too much buck-chasing, too many thrill-seekers, too much selfishness for such an appeal to be given any credibility these days.

Truly pitiful. . .

Default Yes...

and cultural memory does not necessarily mean NATIVE. It does, however, resound strongly of the treatment of a fish or game animal as a food source rather than a sporting item.

I enjoy fishing immensly, from the sharpening of the hooks all the way to the eating. But if I cannot eat a fish I will not fish for it. I enjoy hunting all the way from the polishing of my rifle or shotgun to the cooking of the meat, but will not consider hunting an animal that won't end up as the main course of meals. Antler size (other than legal restrictions) has no bearing on it, which is why I would pass up a "trophy" animal I thought was nearing rut or would be a tough old bugger.

That is the old mind set, and Marcus, I fear you may be right. It may be more about the experience and the thrill of the taking of an animal than connection with a species through hunting or fishing for it as sustenance.

Smile

. . .if I cannot eat a fish I will not fish for it. I enjoy hunting all the way from the polishing of my rifle or shotgun to the cooking of the meat, but will not consider hunting an animal that won't end up as the main course of meals.
    Mi casa es su casa. . .

Thumbs up marcus & sayak...

i'm with you!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

"I think this is a viable solution to the dipnet, sportfish, comm fish debate and the state could throw the greedy *********s in nililchik a permit so they could get "their" fish."

Have you ever neen to Ninilchik during the king season? I have, frequently. It's a zoo! Can you imagine having thousands of people going up and down your street, camping outside your house, traipsing across your property, etc., and harvesting the river which pretty much used to be your family's larder up until recent times?

I understand the Alaska Constitution, and the reality of trying to satisfy the needs and desires of fisherman who are largely urbanites and want their piece of the action under the Constitution, however, it seems to me like the Ninilchik people have been getting the shaft for a very long time.

I'm playing the Devil's advocate to a certain degree, and I doubt that this "subsistence" thing is really going to fly in the long run, but really... put yourself in the other guy's shoes. Ninilchik, while not truely rural, is certainly not Anchorage or Aberdeen, Washington and many people do have the strong, traditional, multi-generational ties to the land and rivers as Alaskans did of yore.
    ok how bout letting them fish mid week instead of having to drive to the keani. Anyhow I think a comm fishery in skilak lake could allow for maximum sport and dipdet opportunity, while still maintaining the OEG and if it helps alleviate this "subsistence" issue thats an added bonus
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default greed in all of us

"I think this is a viable solution to the dipnet, sportfish, comm fish debate and the state could throw the greedy *********s in nililchik a permit so they could get "their" fish"

Aren't we all greedy Sons-of-fishes?
    I also believe in keep to eat, but I fish C&R when that's all that's allowed.

Default No drive

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ok how bout letting them fish mid week instead of having to drive to the keani. Anyhow I think a comm fishery in skilak lake could allow for maximum sport and dipdet opportunity, while still maintaining the OEG and if it helps alleviate this "subsistence" issue thats an added bonus
    I'm sure that they would love to fish their own rivers and leave the Kenai alone. That is why they originally asked for an allocation of silvers from the river closest to them: the Kasilof.

As far as having the river for themselves during mid-week, that would be impossible because the river is already almost over harvested on the weekends by non-Ninilchik fishermen (largely Anchorageites- thus the "giant RV park" you spoke about).