Thread: Whittier/PWS bound tomorrow

Default Whittier/PWS bound tomorrow

Leaving Anchortown @ 5am to catch the 630 tunnel. Weather doesn't look too bad, hope they're right this time Just a day trip on a charter boat, all that I have time for this year (again).

If the weather treats us nice, I'll have pics and reports soon.

Default Report

Monday was a perfect day on the water. No seceret, we fished on the AK4STAR.

First stop, too much current to keep the lines vertical. Made a short run to another spot and had a limit of very healthy 'but in the fish box. By the book they should have been 20 to 25 pounders, but when he cut into them we were getting fillets over 1 1/2" thick. Kinda funny looking with them being so healthy. shaped like footballs!

We had bought the boat and had asked for rockfish and ling well in advance, so we made another short run to pick on Yelloweye's. Full limit of yelloweye after bouncing a couple of humps AND then my lovely wife boats a good sized female Kelp Greenling. First one we'd ever caught and she was YUMMY! Next drift I picked up a male. Haven't eaten him yet.

My wife also had the pleasure of being picked on by sharks on two different humps. Pulled like crazy, made her say things that shouldn't come out of a purdy girl's mouth and then it was all over.

We did get to see a big shark cruising, but couldn't get the camera fast enough. Hopefully the pictures work.....

Last edited by rdklinak; 08-21-2009 at 20:11. Reason: reposting pic

Default another pic

Female Kelp Greenling. Little buggers hit hard for their size.

Last edited by rdklinak; 08-21-2009 at 20:16. Reason: changing pic size

Default how fun!

nice to get a variety of bites out there. Grayling of the sea is how i have heard greenling refered to. They are not big but a nice white meat and eaten fresh cant be better. Want to someday go out again on a charter and go for lingcod and am curious how did that go? Did you get any of those out there? If i remember correctly it is a long ways out there and not alot of fishing time, mayebe we went earlier and had to go out farther, or mayebe we just got a slow boat!!

anyways, your smiles say alot about the day and thats what matters

Default lots of options in whittier....

but my money will continue to go to the AK4STAR & the GOLDRUNNER. But, I have to admit that Matt has a very nice boat in the SWEAT PEA and I might have to make a run on her just to check things out. She's a tank of a boat that scoots right along running twin Yanmars IIRC.

With the AK4STAR's new motors & being blessed with friendly water, I'd SWAG that there isn't a spot inside the sound that is more than 2 1/2 hours away and most are on the friendly side of 2 hours even.

There's a couple of others that I'd be OK fishing with if I had a LARGE group of people going with me. But I'm lucky that the wife will hang out with me most days so getting a group of 12 just isn't gonna happen. HA

A specific LING trip is gonna run you a bit more $ than a 'but trip.... but it's well worth it. Infact this year on the way home we decided we'll book for Ling from now on and be happy with the incidental 'but or two.

Probably won't be fishin on the trip next year but I'll be on the boat for sure. Hafta let the Dr's cut me open and put me back together again. SHHHHHH don't tell them I went fishin this year....