Thread: Recomendations of a MercCruiser Mechanic

Default Recomendations of a MercCruiser Mechanic

I've got a bayliner that's got a leakey outdrive, I think the seals need to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this problem and any recommendation on a mechanic around anchorage?

Try Odie's marine in Anchorage 333-0241

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I've got a bayliner that's got a leakey outdrive, I think the seals need to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this problem and any recommendation on a mechanic around anchorage?

What's leaking where?? Ingesting water, pushing oil at the upper lower??? Alpha, Bravo I, II, III?

I may be able to help as I went thru a two year deal that even the engineers couldn't seem to resolve. This is the 1st summer that I have not had to add any oil to my outdrive since new back in '03. So I know the systems well. Real well.

If not me take to Odie's on Camelot.

I've got water leaking in at the bottom of the outdrive trhough the transom from what I can tell. I can hear the water coming in and I can see the trublence in the water that is pooling but I can't actually see the leak, it comes in pretty fast though. I think I have a Bravo II outdrive, not positive..it's a 97 Bayliner I from all I know this is the origional outdrive.

Ok that's one for Odie as I suck at replacing the Bellows. I wind up with more blood on the boat........Good news no drive worries. Bad news boat can easily sink. Hoprfully it didn't rust up the U joints that are in the bellows.

It sounds like you have a broken bellows. Those are the rubber pieces between your drive and the transom. Depending on the condition of your old clamps will determine how much needs to be removed to get the old ones off and the new ones on. Change both the shift, exhaust and drive bellows all at the same time.

Never store your drive in an up position

Humm, no one has ever told that about the outdrive not being stored in the upright position, makes sense though, puts tension on the bellows. What do you think it's gonna cost me to have it fixed?

Default There is

Actually a couple of reasons not to store up. The 1st is you already figured out. The rubber gets stretched and gets a set. Now they all eventually get old and crack but storing them up just makes it happen faster. The second thing is if you exhaust thru the props you run the chance of filling the exhaust cavity with water and if it freezes you run the chance of pushing out/stripping out the lower carrier retainer nut or cracking the lower drive unit.

Odie has increase his shop rates since I use to help, but guessing in the dark at the cost I would bet between 4 and 5 hundred as long as nothing requires special attention to remove because it's rusted in place. If all goes well you are looking at 3 to 4 hours labor as I remember.

Default Had one of those mercruisers....

and it is also a good idea to replace the shift cable too when you have the bellows off, it's probably due to go too and you have to have all that off to do it. You can get a good deal on parts at Dockpartner.com, they are in Michigan but stock a lot of older mercruiser parts, especially have stuff no longer available at regular dealers, and good prices. They have technical assistance and some online guides to do-it-yourself for bellows replacement and other stuff, but that advice from Dupont Spinner was good...you may lose a lot of blood and there is a special little tool you need to replace the shift cable.

Good luck! Do it right now, you can sink with a bellow leak! Mercruise recommends replacing them every 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post

Good luck! Do it right now, you can sink with a bellow leak! Mercruise recommends replacing them every 2-3 years.
    S$$! you had to remind me about the 2 to 3 year replacement requirement.....I am in my 7th season with original boots. They are still looking good.

This brings to mind a little tech tip for all to consider. Spraying all your nuts/bolts where they are exposed and may corrode with a good metal protectant will make it easy in the future to remove if required. To include your trailers.

I use this stuff http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx

Thanks, all good advice. I'm booked in to have this work done at Odie's, may as well do it all...little preventitive maint. always brings confidence when out in the middle of nowhere'sville. By the way, I was heading out for a week long trip around Knight Island with the family when I heard water running into the boat so the comment about sinking seemed very possible at the time.