Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk and low water?

Unhappy Koyukuk and low water?

I heard the Yukon is low and the Koyukuk is really low. If it is there is no way I can take the 26' Ak. Sea Runner up there like I did in 2007. My friend has a DM830 permit. I am praying for lots of rain in the nexy 30 days. Big bummer. Any of you guys that have hunted up there a long time ever turn back or not go because of low water? I wonder how low it really is.

The Koyukuk is over 4' lower today than a year ago today. Its about 3" higher today than the 26th Sept last year, when we came out. And it wasn't real easy to float down thru Long Stretch, but we made it. I'm not sure how its going to bein 3 weeks

I should clarify that the info is the dailey water readings taken at Husila.

Default thanks...

Thanks for the info. How did you get that info and where at on the river is the "long stretch" you are referring to?

Long Stretch is just up river past Ella's cabin. Lowest and hardest spot I found on the river to find the channel. You can't miss it if you look on a map or google earth. It's just what the name says. A "Long Stretch". If the river is lower this year then last I don't know if I'd get my 26 ft Hewes PC through it without some real good local knowledge. It was real close last year for me.

Tom,
    Do you live in Huslia?
    Tennessee

Snowolf, I live in Soldotna.
    Hewey 260, did you go up for the 2nd season ast year? When we worked our way up the long stretch we went by a 26 working his way up there. It's worse coming down then going up.
    This morning the level is down to what it was on the 26th last year. Hope it doesn't drop a lot more

Tomfishhunter, We were up there for the first season. I believe we came through long stretch on Sept 3rd. Coming back down we hooked up with some really nice locals that let us follow them down. Made all the difference in the world. The channel he was on ran about 4 to 6 ft if I remember right.

We ran past Huslia last year and returned about the 20th of September. Three boats running props and we didnt encounter any water low enough on the Koyukuk to cause us any problems. Had to stop and think about which channel to run a few times but that was about bad as we seen.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    Snowolf, I live in Soldotna.
    Hewey 260, did you go up for the 2nd season ast year? When we worked our way up the long stretch we went by a 26 working his way up there. It's worse coming down then going up.
    This morning the level is down to what it was on the 26th last year. Hope it doesn't drop a lot more

Is there a web site that shows the water depths? Or do you have a local contact? Just curious as to how they measure and report the water levels. Be nice to see some historical data for comparison sakes.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe, How deep was the water in long stretch when you came through? Did you have a sounder giving you readings?

I did have a sounder but unfortunately it never worked correctly once I got over 5 mph. Am going to change the location of the transducer before we go up again.
    Thought I was at a great handicap but the guys I were following said I was probably better off not knowing how shallow the water was in spots, lol.
    Tennessee

LOL, there is some truth to what your buddies said. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Question Tomfishhunter...

Is there a reasonable chance a 26' Hewes Craft Ak. Sea Runner with props can go up the Koyukuk to the Dulbi with the water so low?

Snowolf, I e-mailed the contact on the bottom of the page, and she e-mailed last years Huslia readings. So I can compare this year to last years. I came out late in 1996 and seems like it was lower than last year. But they were'nt recording readings than. I always go later, and I hope its a good trip again this year. Over the years seems like a lot of the country is drying up. Even the haul road is no big deal anymore. Almost getting to easy anymore, but thats good on the road.

Maybe we will see each other up there. My son and I leave on the 10th or 11th. We will be running a Wooldridge Alaskan with a red canvas top and a 200 Opti on the back.
    Cheers
    Tennessee

Smile are you...

Are you guys running a prop on your boats? We were leaving Kenai on the 12th or 13th. We have one permit, one first time moose hunter, and one old guy who is a fair moose caller and cook! This low water thing is driving me nuts!

Default barge company

Have you thought about calling the barge lines to see what they know about the water? Used to be Yutana, now I think it is Crowley?
    Not sure where your hunt is, but if up the Dulbi, you'll need a jet at a minimum, and possibly a smaller boat. Last year I tried to get a guy way up the Dulbi w/ my 22' and a jet. We could not even get to the hunt area.
    As far as the Koyukuk, I have a hard time believing you can't find a channel, especially if the water is lower than last year. The lower the water, the more defined the channel is.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Are you guys running a prop on your boats? We were leaving Kenai on the 12th or 13th. We have one permit, one first time moose hunter, and one old guy who is a fair moose caller and cook! This low water thing is driving me nuts!
    Everyone in our group runs a prop.

First timer eh? Trip is a blast when everything goes right and I am not trying to be a "debbie downer" but make sure you talk to others who have done the trip before you commit. Each of the boats in our group carries 300-350 gallons of gas on deck in additional to full tanks and we have to refuel in Ruby going in to top off the tanks and Ruby coming out so we have enough to hit the pull out on the haul road. If you do not run as far you can get by with less fuel. We have the fuel drums set up with quick disconnects so we can change drums as we are running. Otherwise if you have to stop and refuel your boats tank it will take forever to get there. If you wake up and see ice on the river get out fast
    Tennessee

Keep in mind you can also stash fuel on the rivr. Risky if someone passes by and sees what your doing. Part of your fuel burn is obviously due to the weight, cut some of the weight and you'll save some fuel. Just make sure you calculate right, hit camp with enough to cover the week.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast